PDA

View Full Version : loaded questions

Gunner B12
8th Apr 2002, 07:46
I had a narrow escape yesterday...

My wife who has just changed her hair colour from blonde to not so blonde asked me which looked nicer, the before or after. I of course (in self preservation mode) replied "the new look".

Back came the question why?

At this point I uncharacteristically realised I was headed down the dead end of a why didn't you tell me before tantrum, managed to sidestep to a "I just can't put my finger on it, it just is" stance.

I wondered if any of our forthcoming lady PPRuNers could explain this penchant that some women seem to have for trying to blame thier partners for not forseeing what they would like in the future and beating them up for it?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Tartan Gannet
8th Apr 2002, 08:12
Yes, I encountered this many times when married and there is no remedy. The man is damned if he does and damned if he doesnt. In the end I simply ignored such questions and responded "Its your hair, clothes, body, etc, etc, etc, do what makes you happy".

It isnt just women in general and wives (partners) in particular who ask the question they shouldn't. I have an elderly father who sometimes asks questions he ought not to of me. I could answer him of course but know he would be hurt by the response. On this topic I learned a very harsh but useful lesson about 25 years ago. I was working for a small business and it was time for the annual merit pay increases. Now a person who had started at the same time as myself and did similar work got a rise but I didnt. Annoyed by this I asked my boss why. Back came the reply that "YOU ARENT WORTH IT!" . Seeing my obvious unhappiness at this he replied at length as to why and what remedial actions I could take. He also gave me this very wise piece of advice, "If you think you wont like the answer, DONT ASK THE QUESTION!"

There are four answers to any question, The Right one, the Wrong One, the one they want to hear, and the one you would really like to give. With a wife or female partner, its a lottery chosing the correct one and one the man usually loses.:( :( :(

criticalmass
8th Apr 2002, 11:57
"Now tell me, when did you stop beating your wife?" - Groucho Marx

TG is right, there are any number of questions where you're damned if you do and damned if you don't, especially where wives are concerned. Then again, I've always held to the view that marriage is the biggest cause of divorce on the face of the planet anyway.

Blacksheep
8th Apr 2002, 14:08
I find that the best defence is to respond with something they didn't expect. Turning the question and coming out with something unusual does the trick.

"You're so mysterious, that's what I really love about you" or "How come you always know what I'll like when I don't even know it myself?" A simple "Amazing!" and a shake of the head can do the job, but can also drop you in it big time, so avoid being too brief. Its hard being spontaneous, so be prepared and keep a couple ready at all times. Once you've used one of the current batch, think of another to replace the used one right away. And never ever use one more than once within twenty years...

Despite thirty years of marriage I still get caught occasionally. Its impossible to stay on guard ALL the time! Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em. Ain't life Grand?

Through difficulties to the cinema

briteandbreezy
8th Apr 2002, 14:42
Gunner........

YOU SHOULD KNOW WHY!!!!!!!!!

THAT'S WHY!!!!! :eek:

(next mood swing - 6 minutes!!)
hehehe

Gunner B12
9th Apr 2002, 01:40
B&B

I know thats why...

I just don't understand why!

What the heck, I just don't understand period.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

somewhatconcerned
9th Apr 2002, 01:49
the day you understand a woman is the day you are a daft as they are

STORMER
9th Apr 2002, 03:56
They call it "deflection" where i come from.

Its not just questions that can get you, but compliments as well.
Exmples
Me: "you look wonderful tonight darling"
Her: "Are you saying i look bad the rest of the time!!" (with that look on her face)

And when she give you the choice of 2 outfits then I just dont answer anymore.

Me: "I love the red one on you"
Her: "Whats wrong with the blue one then!!" (with that long pause while her foot starts to tap)

You cant win them all.
I swear you ladies are taught these tatics in school.

Blacksheep
9th Apr 2002, 04:15
The training starts a long time before school STORMER, a long time...

Through difficulties to the cinema

Checkboard
9th Apr 2002, 04:26
I use the "bad cup of tea" approach.

"I think that you should have purple streaks put in" / "Go for a floral look with a paisley undershirt"

significant other : "Why do I ask you? You've got taste up your arse!"

Problem solved, no recriminations.

Make a bad cup of tea the first itme you are asked, and hey presto - get out of the tea making for a while!

the wizard of auz
9th Apr 2002, 14:34
BWAAhahahaha Chekers,thats also my secret......I wasnt gunna tell.:D :D

briteandbreezy
10th Apr 2002, 02:11
Hmmmmmmmmmm..... Blacksheep.......

..DUZZIT????? :rolleyes:

;)