PDA

View Full Version : Glasgow to Benbecula

ex-XL-in-exile
11th Sep 2012, 11:44
Hi everyone.

Does anybody know the best carriers from Glasgow to Benbecula, FlyBe seem to be the best option from what I can gather but I'd appreciate any "real world" first hand advice if anybody's got some.

Many thanks in advance
XXL

davidjohnson6
11th Sep 2012, 11:46
ex - apart from booking with your suggested carrier of Flybe, who else did you have in mind ?

DaveReidUK
11th Sep 2012, 12:42
Caledonian MacBrayne ? :O

scotbill
11th Sep 2012, 16:11
As indicated below, FlyBe is the only air carrier to Benbecula at eye-watering prices (£300+ return unless you can book very early). They maintain these even if the flight is half full.
Beware - security at Benbecula is unsmiling, excessive and extremely tedious. You may be selected to have your private possessions picked over in full public view.

Caledonian MacBrayne, on the other hand, has no security - but it takes all day to get there from Glasgow (via Oban). :yuk:

Skipness One Echo
11th Sep 2012, 16:44
Beware - security at Benbecula is unsmiling, excessive and extremely tedious. You may be selected to have your private possessions picked over in full public view.
I went through that surprising experience at Barra however the chap was really nice as everything I had in my rucksack was examined. However I thought that HIAL had finally been convinced to buy proper Xray equipment for their airfields?

Bear in mind if you are in exile overseas and flying in with BA you can save a fortune and buy a through ticket. The flight is actually operated by Loganair, albeit under a flybe franchise.

ex-XL-in-exile
12th Sep 2012, 19:22
I was 99.9% sure that Flybe were my only option but I chanced my arm that a first-hander might be able to point me elsewhere. Thanks for the responses.

Looks like I'm either on the Glasgow route or overland / sea on an all day jaunt - could be a lot of work seen as I've got just over a fortnight back in blighty before heading back to Saigon.

Again, many thanks.
XXL.