View Full Version : Lion Air to set up budget carrier in Malaysia

jetjockey696
11th Sep 2012, 10:17
The Associated Press, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia...September 11 2012

Indonesia's Lion Air said Tuesday it will set up a low-cost airline in Malaysia that will take off in May 2013 as part of an aggressive regional expansion.

The move will see Lion Air, which controls nearly half the air travel market in Indonesia, playing catch-up to the region's top budget carrier AirAsia. It follows AirAsia's recent acquisition of Batavia Air in a bid to tap Indonesia's 230 million population.

Lion Air will own 49 percent of the new airline, Malindo Airways, and Malaysia's National Aerospace and Defence Industries the remaining 51 percent.

Lion Air President Rusdi Kirana said Malindo Airways will start flying between the two countries with a fleet of 12 new Boeing 737 planes in May, before expanding to other cities in Southeast Asia.

He said 12 planes will be added each year to bring the total fleet to more than 100 in a decade. This includes adding Boeing 787 Dreamliner jets by 2015 to fly to routes in China, Japan and Australia, he said.

Rusdi said tickets prices will be competitive, either in the same range as rival AirAsia or "even lower." The airline's planes will be fitted with a lower-than-usual 150 seats coupled with inflight entertainment and light meals, he said. It aims to offset lower revenue per plane due to fewer seats with higher frequency flights.

"The idea is to build passenger growth by giving them affordable prices and better service," Rusdi told a news conference.

Lion Air, which began operations in 2000, currently flies to destinations in Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam and Saudi Arabia. It operates a fleet of 100 aircraft and has 382 planes on order.

Apart from Malindo Airways, the airline is setting up a full-service carrier in Indonesia named Batik Air, which will start operations in March next year.

Rusdi said the airline flew 27.6 million passengers last year, and expects to exceed 30 million this year.

Malaysian officials said the joint venture will provide the regional budget air travel industry with healthy competition and help the country reach its aim of becoming a regional aviation hub, competing with Singapore and Thailand.

Lion Air will manage the airline while its Malaysian partner will handle training and aircraft maintenance.

AND

Sriwijaya Air plans to launch full-service subsidiary next year

Sriwijaya Air, one of the largest domestic carriers in Indonesia, is planning to launch a new full-service airline, Nam Air, next year in a bid to tap into the country’s full-service market, which is currently dominated by national flag carrier, Garuda Indonesia.

Sriwijaya Air president director Chandra Lie told reporters in Jakarta on Tuesday that the privately owned air operator was currently awaiting a flight permit for the new airline from the Transportation Ministry.

“We are still waiting for the government to issue the flight permit [for Nam Air]. We hope that the new domestic airline, which will be our subsidiary, will begin operations in 2013,” he said.

In June last year, Sriwijaya Air inked a deal with Brazilian aircraft maker, Embraer S.A., to supply 20 Embraer 190 jets which, according to Chandra, would cost the airline around US$1 billion.

He said the company would use the Embraer aircraft for its new domestic airline, adding that the 100-seat Embraer 190s could serve airports with shorter runways. (asa/lfr)

brasmelzuit
11th Sep 2012, 14:46
more jobs at this part of the world..:D

jetjockey696
11th Sep 2012, 15:00
Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak on Tuesday announced the setting up of a new low-cost airline known as Malindo Airways.

Najib said the airline, borne out of a collaboration between National Aerospace and Defence Industries Sdn Bhd (Nadi) and Indonesia's PT Lion Group, would begin operations on May 1 next year and be based in KLIA 2.

The collaboration, said Najib, not only marked another milestone in the nation's aviation industry, but also represented yet another facet of the close relationship between Malaysia and Indonesia.

"To my mind the acronym Malindo- the melodic combination of the names of Malaysia and Indonesia - has very significant historical connotations, reflecting the long intertwined history of the peoples of our two countries.

"In terms of this to be established airline, I believe the name reflects the bridging of the two countries by way of a wide network of flights that will connect various cities and towns regionally, opening new destinations for travellers from within the Nusantara and beyond," he said after witnessing the signing ceremony for the establishment of the airline between the two companies, here.

Najib said the entry of the new airline was a timely move to meet the burgeoning market demand, both for low cost flights and maximum connectivity across the region especially between different cities in Malaysia and various parts of Indonesia.

He said, with significant experience in Airline Operations, MRO (Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul) services, Supply Chain Management and Human Capital development, NADI and PT Lion Group would not only be able to provide quality services to their consumers in the region, but also to the global aviation industry.

"This will fortify the Aviation Business ecosystem both in Malaysia and Indonesia. Furthermore, the partnership will provide the regional low-cost air travel market with healthy competition, ultimately benefiting low-cost travellers in both countries," said Najib.

According to the prime minister, the Malaysian Aerospace Industry, which has grown tremendously over the last 20 years, will be well poised to meet the challenges and to seize the opportunities of the future if it was continuously nurtured.

In 2011, Najib said, the industry generated RM26bil in turnover, employing approximately 54,000 workers, 15,000 of whom were skilled in various vocations.

"This is something that we, as Malaysians, can take pride in, particularly because it is a testament to the success of the National Aerospace Blueprint (NAB) that was introduced in 1997," he said.

The Blueprint laid out 45 recommendations covering aerospace manufacturing, commercial aviation, general aviation, systems and space, to provide Malaysia with the essential framework to develop itself as technologically and competitively competent global aerospace player by 2015.

The introduction of the Government's Economic Transformation Program (ETP) further bolstered Malaysia's Aerospace industry, identifying two Entry Point Projects, namely "EPP1-Growing MRO Services" and "EPP2-Growing Large Pure Play Engineering Services", which were expected to contribute RM16.9bil to Malaysia's Gross National Income (GNI) and create over 32,000 jobs by 2020, added Najib. - Bernama

syukri
11th Sep 2012, 16:12
As an unemployed pilot, a question pop-out in mind.. Who'll be flying those jets? Logically thinking they will operate 9M-registered aircraft, hence DCAM certified pilot is needed. Then I recall Lion Air own a whole flying school back in their homeland.. Wouldn't it be their best interest to keep all their cadets flying in future? And 1 part of the mou is about manpower. Anybody knows the detail of the MOU?

brasmelzuit
11th Sep 2012, 22:30
their cadets in WFS, along with other flying school in Indonesia, not enough to fullfill all the right hand seats in their fleet. License won't be an issue, just like AirAsia's crew flying there with DCAM validation only.
So it is really a breeze for you and others to apply..
Just wondering,mwhich route they will be flying, other than those already flown by AK n MAS

squarecrow
12th Sep 2012, 03:01
Bet that will annoy the TF in Jakarta,

syukri
12th Sep 2012, 03:18
To be honest TF is not my favourite person in the world but he tweet-ed earlier that the new Malindo Airways will affect least to AirAsia rather than it affect Malaysia Airlines and I somehow agree with that. Malaysia Airline is losing passenger by its outdated product and bad service quality i:e in-flight meal etc. Whereas AirAsia is focusing on ASEAN whole market which makes them less reliant to Malaysian market soon..

kwaiyai
12th Sep 2012, 04:13
Syukri any CEO of an airline who writes pilots are overpaid button pushers says it all. I quit that place and that was one reason. I heard about the Lionair plan years ago and hope it gives him a wake up call, He needs it for sure!

brasmelzuit
12th Sep 2012, 04:33
lion air's pilot are underpaid, if you ask me. considered that they fly over 100 hrs every month....and they dont have: medical benefit, id90 ticket, free coupon, yearly bonus.
If the same scheme they are trying to apply in Malindo, well, goodluck finding desperated pilots...

RP-C000
12th Sep 2012, 05:27
Malaysia has more than 500 CPL/IR pilots sitting at home they will jump at this.. Capts will be expat for a while.

jetjockey696
12th Sep 2012, 06:23
brasmelzuit... I agreed with you that Lionair are underpaid.. for FOs and Local captains.. But some malaysian capts that recently joined are getting slightly better salary than there local colleagues.. 9000USD. and 10wks on 2 wks off. But all salary are TAX free.. unlike the counterparts in Malaysia.

BUT some other facts you are wrong... compared with Tony.. Lionair DO give a yearly BONUS. You get the bonus at Hari raya.. for muslim.. for non believers;) 1st Jan.. NOT like TONY, if he is happy and dont need money for his hobbies, (football club or F1) he pays bonus. when I was working there many moons ago. he gave out bonus around july/august/sept...there excuse was something to do about taxes etc:mad: and then it only a week or 2 weeks bonus...

Medical insurance.. YES. 1 free coupon per year for the whole family.

OK no ID90. but lion tickets are cheap..cheaper than Air ASia no baggage charges etc...and definitely cheaper than Garuda..

Trust me there are many waiting to jump ship.. in malaysia.. from MAS etc. look at the thousands of CPL all getting excited. Malaysia aviation have not grown for many years.. sort of stuck after uncle Tony controlled most malaysian aviation, stopped many airlines from starting up. I think the government is tired of his antics, drama queen rants.

Now Tony has run out of ideas, so he decided to leave and come Indonesia and call it a new start, buying Batavia..:mad::ugh: BAD MOVE... it like going out looking for a girl in a bar called BATS..dont want to pay premium, wait to the end of night for the scraps..it easier :p

The Rage
12th Sep 2012, 06:23
Lion Air will get the pilots, and yes i think they will be local. If its a malaysia AOC then it would be local reg. I dont think the will pay much, not for fo's anyway, plenty of unemployed that will prob work at half the rate just to get the rating, right now the airline has the advantage. Captains might be better paid, possibly in the same region as AA's. Is TF worried? I bet he is. Why did he close firefly jet ops down? It will effect the low cost segment, not so much into mas's as its a segregated market. Ive seen mas flights to borneo full on a daily basis, the peninsular market has never been a very strong market for mas. I think this is a way for the goverment to 'fu*#k' TF for moving out after taking everything. Im sure Tony would be throwing some tantrums!

veloo maniam
12th Sep 2012, 07:27
Welcome to the club.
ATC may have an idea how to save fuel.
Talk to us if interested.:ok:

brasmelzuit
12th Sep 2012, 07:40
@jj696, what I know, is those pliots are not malaysian, but indonesian pilots who used to fly for firefly. there's a c to c agreement, and it already created jealousy problem within the company.. And they did not receive any sign on fee (normally around 25-80k usd)..cmiiw.
back in jakarta, Lion's medical benefit is 1million rupiah (usd110) per month, per pilot, to be shared with their loved ones...
once a year is reliogion allowance for hari raya. ALLL company in indonesia must pay one month sallary to their employee. IAA, GA, etc..
pay that too. Never heard lion give real bonus beside hariraya, unlike Air Asia or Garuda...except that 150mill rupiah every 5 years, to be bonded for next 5 yrs.. if the pilot accept the money..
But, hey..it's in Indonesia..not in Malaysia.. Probably they will be treated differently.
Cheap Lion ticket? how many people should you call to get it discounted?
and it's definetely not cheaper than AirAsia id90..;-)
Try to use your free coupon to Beijing, Goldcoast, Incheon...wait..Lion doesn't fly there...sorry..it's domestic only...;-)
Can it be used for your parents or friends? sorry, can't do..
Again...it maybe different with Malindo.
Jumpship is soooo normal in this cruel aviationworld.....:-)

Island Dreamer
12th Sep 2012, 19:29
brasmelzuit, unfortunately there will be some desperate pilots around for a while still..:*

captain.weird
12th Sep 2012, 21:18
Are the students from the flying school from Lion Air all Indonesians? Or is it open for all nationalities? Someone who has a link or what?

kwaiyai
13th Sep 2012, 03:57
I'm pretty sure TF p@@@ed alot of his pilots off yeah with that article in Flight. If he is having tantrums good. As my friend says I like Big Fat Men they make alot of noise when they fall down.

Hogger60
14th Sep 2012, 11:12
The Fatman forced MAS to ground the FireFly 737 fleet because he hates competition in all its forms. Now his dream team has to face new LCC competition that is aimed at Air Asia in its Malaysian form. Not that he can do much about it as he has packed his bags and scurried off to Indonesia, and I don't think that Lion will fold like a cheap suit like MAS did when TF told them to kill FireFly.

Now comes the fun. MAS, always a day late and a dollar short is talking up resurrecting FireFly Jets, moving their 737s back into orange and white along with the crews. There could be lots more competition come next year. Maybe even a few more jobs. Both are good for all.

jetjockey696
15th Sep 2012, 05:56
I guess he didnt like to be told to share his toys and no more teacher's pet..so he packed up his toys into hello kitty backpack and left. but his new school is not so friendly... no one listening to his drama queen rants. It a place where you dont bend over and pick up the soap in the gym showers. :p

Hogger60
16th Sep 2012, 02:29
Malindo Airways expected to give AirAsia a run for its money

It was a marathon meeting lasting 24 hours in a hotel in Singapore over two weeks ago that resulted in the creation of Malindo Airways.
The meeting was between Rusdi Kirana (http://archives.thestar.com.my/search/?q=Rusdi%20Kirana), president director of Indonesia's largest privately owned airline Lion Air and Malaysia's National Aerospace & Defense Industries (Nadi) low key businessman Tan Sri Ahmad Johan (http://archives.thestar.com.my/search/?q=Tan%20Sri%20Ahmad%20Johan).
Both had desires to expand their empires. One to set up an airline in Malaysia the same way AirAsia (http://archives.thestar.com.my/search/?q=AirAsia%20Bhd) has set up airlines in several countries, and the other wanted to get the regional MRO business because they had “scalability and expertise.''
All this started three months ago, according to those in the know.
It is no secret that Rusdi has been wanting to set up an LCC in Malaysia. Two earlier attempts, a courtship with Firefly and later with Berjaya Air, fell through. And Nadi wanted a slice of Lion Air's MRO business. An introduction took place and both realised that they had something to offer.
This was also about the same time Ahmad Johan was rumoured to be preparing a paper to buy over a majority stake in Malaysia Airlines (http://archives.thestar.com.my/search/?q=Malaysia%20Airlines) (MAS), perhaps, on the hindsight, it may have been Malindo Air and not MAS.
Before the marathon meeting two weeks ago, both parties met high-ranking government officials for the official blessing. That was necessary since the Government has a golden share in Nadi and Minister of Finance Inc (http://archives.thestar.com.my/search/?q=Finance%20Inc) holds a 5.74% equity stake in Nadi. An 83.73% stake in Nadi is held by PJS Industries Sdn Bhd (http://archives.thestar.com.my/search/?q=PJS%20Industries%20Sdn%20Bhd), a company controlled by Ahmad Johan and the remaining 10.53% is held by Rantai Wawasan.
Nadi has been involved in maintenance and provision of services for the Royal Malaysian Air Force fleet. “It is a nice fit, both had something to offer the other and both were passionate about it. So that is how Malindo Air came out but everything happened very fast,” said a source.
But the relationship does not end at just setting an LCC. There will be the MRO business where Nadi will enter into a joint venture to undertake MRO works for all of Lion Air's 100 aircraft. Plus there is also the training element.
Lion Air is the largest airline by market share and fleet size in Indonesia and although its current fleet size is 100 aircraft, it has ordered 382 aircraft. That makes Lion Air one of Boeing's biggest customers in the world with deals topping US$22bil, says an analyst in his report.
Lion Air has been in the business since 2000, and flies to 73 destinations across five countries. By March 2013, it will begin a long haul service via Batik Air. It is owned by Indonesia's tycoon brothers, Rusdi and Kusnan Kirana and corporate personalities say “the Kirana brothers are seasoned businessman and politically well-connected individuals.”
Nadi has been in the MRO business for many years and Airod is its unit. Nadi recently hired former MAS MRO chief Mohd Roslan Ismail as managing director of Airod Aerospace Technology for its regional expansion.
Under the deal, Nadi holds 51% stake in Malindo Air while Lion Air's parent, PT Lion Grup (http://archives.thestar.com.my/search/?q=PT%20Lion%20Grup) will hold the remaining 49%. The driver for the airline operations is Lion Air as it has the expertise and Rusdi's right hand man, Chandran Ramamuthy has been appointed CEO of Malindo Air. Since Lion Air has a big order of Boeing aircraft, it will push some of its aircraft deliveries to Malindo Air, which will acquire 12 B737-900ER aircraft per year to have a fleet size of 100 in 10 years or by 2023.
Both Rusdi and Ahmad Johan declined to discuss how much of money they will put into the venture and where are their sources of funding.
These aircraft will be used for short haul flights within Asean, connecting the region with Indonesia. KLIA2 will be the main hub for Malindo Air and it would have a secondary hub in Kota Kinabalu and Asean cities will be its target routes. It will also fly domestic routes in the country.
According to a Maybank Investment Bhd (http://archives.thestar.com.my/search/?q=Maybank%20Investment%20Bhd) report, Malindo Air's fleet by 2015 will include the B787 which will be suitable for medium to long haul routes.
“Based on the management presentation, it (Malindo Air) aspires to become Malaysia's next full fledged national airline,” Maybank says.
The report adds that Malindo Air should be able to leverage on its parent's infrastructure to build an efficient operations quickly. Lion Air is a formidable opponent to AirAsia in Indonesia; its ticket fares are often more competitive and it enjoys popular support among local Indonesians.
“Malindo Air's seat pitch of 31 inch is 7% roomier compared with AirAsia's and it provides complimentary frills such as light snacks, drinks, in-flight entertainment and uses the aerobridges. In addition, we estimate Malindo Air's Boeing 737-900 aircraft has superior cost economics for flights which are above two hours against AirAsia's Airbus A320 aircraft,” Maybank says.
“We are confident that Malindo Air will be able to be profitable quickly (less than one year) on domestic Malaysia and Indonesian routes given the strong demand and existing client base to tap onto. Other international destinations may consume longer period (two to three years) to turn profitable.”
The house adds that with the entry of Malindo Air, AirAsia's virtual monopoly ceases and yields are set to decline and profit contribution from AirAsia's biggest market will recede.
Note that AirAsia Indonesia's operations are significantly less profitable compared with its Malaysian operations.
“We think this is due to Indonesia's more competitive landscape (whereby Lion Air is the key competitor), and higher cost base. What we see in AirAsia Indonesia's profit margin could possibly happen in AirAsia Bhd going forward.”
Reports have suggested that by 2030 there will be 2.2 billion passengers in Asia Pacific and from this Malaysia will have 200 million, so there is room for more players so long growth in Asia continues.
An aviation expert points out that if other Asean countries can have more than two LCCs, then there is plenty of room for Malaysia to have another LCC.
The onus now is really on Rusdi and Ahmad Johan to deliver.

By BK SIDHU
From The Star,
15Sep12

This is almost exactly what FireFly was doing before Tony and his cronies shut them down. It really bolsters the fact (commonly known at MAS and everywhere else) that the FireFly Jet operation was taking it to the Fatman's business, no matter the lies that MAS management and TF rolled out to the media. Very suspicious that a few weeks after former FireFly CEO Eddy Leong rolled out a three-year plan to increase the jet fleet to 25-30 aircraft, that the boys from AA moved to ground the only true LCC competition they had in Malaysia. This time, though, it looks like the Fatman will have little say in the matter, not that it matters as he has packed up his toys and moved across the Java Sea. Won't be near as easy to manipulate the government south of the equator big boy.

brasmelzuit
16th Sep 2012, 03:41
if Lion is really soo confidence to beat AirAsia or MAS, why don't they make it Lion Air Malaysia? Probably because of their bad safety record, eh...? Most recent tailstrike in BPN on sept 8, 2012..#:=

jetjockey696
16th Sep 2012, 06:18
Hogger60... nice article. Yes it different in Indonesia. Not a easy ride there..

I think he has running out of steam.. no new ideas are coming out from him for sometime. hhmmmm... :confused: calm before the storm maybe...maybe he quietly trying or finding out how to buy BATAVIA AIR...(that a safe airline for you:}) the new storm..

And the BPN incident, was not the fault of Lion pilots. it was the fault of the cargo/ramp handling service in Balikpapan..which is not lion staff. the BPN loading service they didnt follow the loading instructions of the load sheet.

By the way... everyone has there incidents, MAS/AirAsia/Garuda has many but it kept quiet, you wont believe the stories, you never know what happens in the cockpit:E Trust me you wouldnt like to hear what Batavia Air get up too. Sadly for Lion, it the spot light for them at the moment.

syukri
16th Sep 2012, 06:51
I believe the Malindo name came from NADI people... As a major shareholder, they try to shy away from the fact that it is an airline from Lion Air.. It is known that most of NADI management is ex-military attache, and MALINDO name is commonly use when Malaysia-Indonesia hold a join exercise.. just my 2cent;)

Slasher
17th Sep 2012, 09:33
Just wondering what the prang tally is between Lyin' Air and Scare Asia?

I don't think AA has killed anyone dead yet, but I'm sure the scores are
roughly even in the Runway Excursion competition.

PilotWA123
17th Sep 2012, 10:37
Is this also why clients of pilot recruitment agencies don't want pilots from lion air ... :D

Hogger60
26th Sep 2012, 08:04
AirAsia seeks collaboration with Malindo Airways

KUALA LUMPUR: AirAsia Bhd (http://archives.thestar.com.my/search/?q=AirAsia%20Bhd) is seeking potential areas of collaboration with stakeholders of the new Malindo Airways.
Its group CEO Tan Sri Tony Fernandes (http://archives.thestar.com.my/search/?q=Tan%20Sri%20Tony%20Fernandes) said in this regard, he will be meeting with Lion Air's parent company, PT Lion Grup (http://archives.thestar.com.my/search/?q=PT%20Lion%20Grup) president director, Rusdi Kirana soon.
"We can collaborate with Malindo Airways. I am not here to make enemies. I will meet Rusdi over dinner soon.
"There are many thing that we can collaborate on. Personally, I respect Rusdi who has done a fantastic job in Indonesia," Fernandes told reporters after launching AirAsia's Badminton Academy on Wednesday.
However, he said the competition between AirAsia and Malindo Airways is still on.
"AirAsia has a very strong foothold in the regional aviation industry to face the competition.
"Without doubt, we will compete against each other. I know what it takes for an airline to win," he added.
National Aerospace and Defence Industries Sdn Bhd (Nadi) (http://archives.thestar.com.my/search/?q=Defence%20Industries%20Sdn%20Bhd%20%28Nadi%29) and PT Lion Grup will form the new frills-free Malindo Airways, which is poised to start operations in May 2013 using the soon-to-be completed KLIA2 in Sepang.
It plans to offer flights within Malaysia and Indonesia, as well as to Thailand, China, India, Japan and Australia.
Nadi owns a 51% stake in Malindo Airways, with the balance held by the Lion Grup. - Bernama

Rusdi, I would certainly check and make sure you still have your wallet after your meeting with the Fatman. Just like with MAS when Air Asia bought in, Tony was all sweetness and light while killing FireFly Jets. This just shows that he is worried about ANY LCC competition. Good luck Malindo.

jetjockey696
26th Sep 2012, 15:31
Besides wallets.. check your fingers too.. TF..can sure BULLS*@T a lot of hot air about the competition..."We can collaborate with Malindo Airways. I am not here to make enemies. I will meet Rusdi over dinner soon.
"There are many thing that we can collaborate on. Personally, I respect Rusdi who has done a fantastic job in Indonesia," Fernandes told reporters

I guess he might be scared of the competitions:E self exile in indonesia. he cant stop it this time. unlike the previous time.. when lion sighed with Berjaya, and other airlines which wanted to start up.

here is something new...

AirAsia X to Launch Child-Free Zone

The long-haul arm of Malaysia-based budget carrier AirAsia said on Wednesday that it is to ban young children from sitting in the first seven rows of its economy-class section to create a “quiet zone.”

According to the airline’s website, the first seven rows on AirAsia X flights will be restricted to passengers 12 and above from February next year.

The cost of choosing a seat in the quiet zone will be the same as the 35 ringgit ($11.35) charged for picking specific seats or the 110 ringgit it costs to select a seat with extra legroom.

“We know that sometimes all you need is some peace and quiet for a more pleasant journey with us,” the low-cost giant said on its website.

Rival Malaysia Airlines sparked debate over its decision in June last year to bar infants from first class cabins in its Airbus A380 superjumbos, which it began taking delivery of this year.

The full-service flag carrier said the move would result in some loss of revenue but it had received many complaints from well-heeled passengers about noisy infants.

AirAsia, which has hubs in Malaysia, Thailand, Japan and Indonesia, is Asia’s largest budget carrier and launched its long-haul arm in 2007 to serve routes beyond the airline’s core Southeast Asian market.

Agence France-Presse

syukri
27th Sep 2012, 02:43
1 wonder in which area AK con cooperate with Malindo.. "okay Rusdi here's the deal. Say i order another 100 aircraft but this time from Boeing, u can order the same but from Airbus.. Then we can share the intel about the pricing, we can negotiate for more than half!"

flying.monkeyz
27th Sep 2012, 03:55
1 wonder in which area AK con cooperate with Malindo.. "okay Rusdi here's the deal. Say i order another 100 aircraft but this time from Boeing, u can order the same but from Airbus.. Then we can share the intel about the pricing, we can negotiate for more than half!"

Pilot training (pilots of both airlines trained by CAE), cabin and ground crew training, catering, maintenance, procurement, alignment of flight schedules, etc etc etc. Both airlines have huge operations in their respective home country so collaborations can be potentially very beneficial.

syukri
27th Sep 2012, 05:00
Malindo Airways will offer 100 jobs to unemployed pilots in Malaysia to cater for its operations in May next year. The first intake of 20 students is expected to begin next month.

Lion should have seen this coming... Malaysian Government sure has a say in this.. "Open a new airline here? Sure,by all means. Just do me a lil favour, go employ those pilots laying around doing nothing here, give me headache esp during this election season.. Grazie!"

jetjockey696
27th Sep 2012, 05:06
Mr Monkeyz... that what he said to MAS and Firefly... we can share training etc.. next thing firefly hit rock bottom.. and with MAS is being taken with TF. PEOPLE PEOPLE TF doesnt like to share. he does play with others.. he like the wolf in little riding hood.

I heard, for training MAS has offered there services to Lion, NG sims etc...

Syukri... lion knew that they had to hire local crew eventually...this was coming.. What I heard that your glorious government has decided to pay the bill for all training associated with Malindo.. Free type rating for Malaysian CPL holder who join. Happy days....:ok:

syukri
27th Sep 2012, 05:10
I think TF worries about his aircrafts nearing D-check, and Lion has Airod with them.. That happens with MAE previously, lots of engineer all of sudden need to do license for A320.. Just speculating..:}

Hogger60
27th Sep 2012, 08:49
There are some real staffing questions I have:

Where they are going to get the 737 Capts to fly the left seat for Malindo? There are more than enough CPL holders out there to fill all of the right seats, but where are the experienced Capts going to come from?

Are there enough Malaysian ATPL holders flying elsewhere who will come home for LCC pay? I would think anyone who has the license and hours is already flying for Air Asia. Or will they have to (once again) reverse course and have to allow expats to come in temporarily to fly?

syukri
27th Sep 2012, 09:44
For certain they will use those Captains from MAS that currently 'borrowed' to Lion.. And I guess they will need Indonesian Lion's Captain as well... Again, just speculating..

syukri
27th Sep 2012, 09:54
jetjockey i dont think it will be free TR, for sure they will plan some loan scheme with any government org. FYI my CPL/IR fee also under loan from my government hehe ;)

jetjockey696
28th Sep 2012, 09:38
Syukri... of course its a loan..hahaha... but its free in some sort of way.. When you earn a salary you pay back some of some of the loan.. so in a way you never need to pay from your own pocket.:ok: HAHAA....

I just hoping this loan is for every minority in malaysia. and not to a SELECT few. REMEMBER MALAYSIAN GOVERNMENT "Satu Malaysia":ok:

ssangyongs
28th Sep 2012, 18:12
Since when any airline in Malaysia required newly joined co pilots to pay for type rating? Cant think of any..

In Malaysia P2F haven't really taken off yet, dont give them the idea. RM 100k is a lot of money. By sponsoring 4 co pilots (no guarantee all 4 will pass) government can build 4 low cost houses and gained 100 votes (25 names registered to a house).

FlyByWire1
28th Sep 2012, 21:06
Majlis Amanah Rakyat.... Hidup UMNO 'let's save Malaysia airlines' and pour more rakyat's money for more turnaround plans, berjaya plan & make money plans from justifying 150% break bond value.
Yess... It's the airline which can make money from it's cadet by 50% from principal value even if u have 1 day to go till your completion type rating bond period. Ha...ha...ha... MAS knows how to make money more from it's cadet rather than market capitalization from airline service.
Let's amend the type rating bond by making it 300% penalty clause with a lock-in period of 13 hrs instead of 3 years then give them **** working conditions & promotion prospects entice them with other airlines offers so they will break the bond and MAS will claim the money endorsed by the court and the government. Easy money ehh..
Imagine almost 600 or more cadets in Malaysia no jets to fly they will come like vultures to the program why bother then with 'airline business'
Hidup '1 Malaysia':D

syukri
28th Sep 2012, 23:51
Would u guys grow up? If u were given such opportunities would u turn it down? I dont give a rats ass about who rule or anything, I just try every chance i have..

737RIDE
1st Oct 2012, 09:22
Captain still working for them and expat F\O (E.G.) fired with 300 hours on type... ergo ..... end of the career .... ye... happy landings...

MAS900ER
3rd Oct 2012, 15:20
With regard to the recent article in the newspaper, which focused on the initiative of Malindo to help the jobless pilots in Malaysia. Expectedly, I think Malindo would be receiving more than 1000 applications for the ab-initio pilots postion.For a newly setup airline, I think this will be a major headache for the HR department of Malindo to sort out all the resumes and application from these jobless pilots for the initial recruitment.Even an established company like MAs took a few months for them to sort out all the applicants when they had opened their MAS direct intake for ab-initio back in 2011.Many of the would be applicants for Malindo will come from this pool of pilots who had went for the selection process by MAS, which includes psychometric test, personality test, B737 simulator check and even interviews.Sadly MAS was facing a financial problem and have excess pilot and therefore no ab-initio was employed.As far as I know, there are around 2 or 3 groups of pilots of whom had passed their sim checks and interviews with MAs and another few groups at the personality test stage.Most of them in these first few groups are also of those who had graduated for quite a while from flying school and fail to get a job until now.Therefore, I would like to suggest that Malindo to seriously consider taking ab-initio pilots from this pool of pilots for the first few initial batches.This would save Malindo a great deal of money especially for the simulator checks as they had already done it during the MAS selection program.It would also save a lot of time for Malindo rather than to do the whole process again and rather can focus on starting the training of the ab-initio pilot program.Plus saving a lot of man power to do the selection process and focus on more important things during the start up of the company.Rumours heard that the captains that would fly for Malindo come from the seconded captains of MAS to Lion Air.So why not collaborate with MAS for the ab-initio pilots as MAS have a lot of experience in pilot selection program.MAS proven stringent selection program i believe would at least be on par with what Malindo is looking for too.

Another suggestion is for Malindo to take pilots who was sponsored by MARA.There are around 100 pilots who was sponsored by MARA and still jobless.Quoting from the newspaper, I believe Malindo would ask this ab-initio cadets to self-fund their type ratings, plus MARA is more than glad to provide funds for their cadet's type rating cost if they could secure a job offer, so why not collaborate with MARA too.

With more than 1000 expected applicants, I think its would be easier for Malindo to consider these two pool of ab-initio pilots first for the first few batches of ab-initio intakes and then only continue with the rest of the 'crowd'.I believe that these 2 pool of pilots would stand out from the 'crowd' as they have proven themselves to either MAS or MARA which is both respectable recruiters respectively.

It would also be an added bonus if the pilot is a MARA sponsored cadet and had passe the stringent MAS selection program.This would narrow down to a few ab-initio jobless pilot which i think would be sufficient enough for Malindo first batch of ab-initio pilots.

I hope Malindo would consider this suggestion seriously and spare the dispair for these two groups of pilot who had proven themselves but are unlucky due to unforseen circumstances and at the same time would benefit Malindo financial, time and manpower.This does not mean that the other pilots out there wont be given a chance but rather, this idea is only for the first few batches until Malindo is up and running in full swing, and then continue the the selection with the rest of the 'pack'.

jetjockey696
4th Oct 2012, 17:48
Malaysia Airlines (MAS) has not scrapped plans to turn community airline, Firefly, into a low-cost carrier, Group Chief Executive Officer Ahmad Jauhari Yahya said.

He said MAS was keeping its options open for Firefly, its wholly-owned subsidiary, to operate as a budget carrier but stressed that it was not in the immediate term.

"For now, we have a plan and the plan is to keep the turbo-prop aircraft in Firefly and MAS will do all the jets operations," he told reporters at MAS' 40th anniversary celebrations.

A turboprop engine aircraft is more fuel-efficient for a short distance travel while jet engine aeroplanes, commonly used by commercial airlines, are more cost-effective for long-haul flights.

Firefly currently flies to 25 destinations including 12 international flights.

Ahmad Jauhari also said the national carrier will add another flight for the newly received Airbus A380 for the Kuala Lumpur-London-Kuala Lumpur route.

He said MAS is also planning to replace the Boeing 737-400 fleet over the next two years in tandem with plans to reduce the average age of its aircraft, which currently stood at 7.7 years.

Meanwhile, to mark its 40th anniversary celebrations, Ahmad Jauhari said MAS will be giving 80 free seats to selected customers to destinations across the airline's network.

-- BERNAMA 01/10/12

Hogger60
5th Oct 2012, 00:08
JetJockey thanks for the article. You beat me to the post once again. I read this earlier but had to leave on a trip and by the time I got around to putting it up, it was already there.

MAS had a LCC with jets running full speed, growing (8 jets flying with plans for another 22 within three years according to then CEO Eddy Leong) and carrying very good loads last year. But thanks to the now Indonesia-based TF, they scuttled the plan, painted the jets in MAS colors, and moved all the pilots over to the mainline carrier, though now flying many of the same routes, but charging MAS fares. Very sad that the Fatman had so much influence and was able to scuttle a rising competitor. It looks like he won't have the same power this time, no matter how many times he calls for "cooperation" with Malindo.

I am sure there will be more than enough FO's amongst the out of work CPL holders in Malaysia. Filling the right seats will not be a problem, but once again, they are going to have to find between 60-80 captains, and unless they pay really well, it will be much more difficult to find enough experienced local bodies to fill the left seats. My guess is once again expats will be brought in until they can find enough locals to fill the positions, although there is already a lot of competition for 737NG Captains from the Gulf, China, and even Lion Air.

Most any Malaysian ATPL holder who is available is already working for Air Asia. Would MAS second captains to a competitor? Probably not. Would the guys leave MAS for Malindo? Not when Air Asia is still looking for Captains, will take DECs with 737 time, and probably pay a lot more than Malindo will. If you were a MAS 737 captain, and you were going to leave anyway, wouldn't you rather be with a stable, growth-oriented, well-paying company, or take a big risk by leaving MAS to join a start-up? The only reason I can see is to be able to stay on the Boeing versus having to learn the new Bus systems.

jetjockey696
5th Oct 2012, 07:31
Haha.. Hogger60 always happy to keep people updated.. It was sad to see the government and MAS believe what TF sold them:E, and totally bought the whole BULLs**T about the collaboration between the MAS and Airasia. (strangly this is what flying monkeyz is suggesting:ugh::=) and look what happen.. to MAS and firefly..and the famous flyasianxpress (FAX). I think government has finally wised up:ok: BTW MAS does make a profit, BUT there are to many Winnie Pooh sticky fingers in the honey jar, so i guess MAS will never ever see profits, lucky malaysia is rich enough to feed this black hole airline.. :ok:

With Malindo. Pilots I see are exciting about this airline, they should be because of the new competition:ok:, besides that :hmm: REMEMBER GRASS is never greener on the other side. I think if you are happy or doing OK in your present company stay.. otherwise you might gonna regret your move. the T&C will be slightly better than AirASIa but slightly below MAS. I think pay will be OK nothing to shout about, remember airlines are not run with pilot ego in mind, but it ran by accountants. so everything will be basic..and there will be always enough capt and FO to fill the planes.

fareez36
5th Oct 2012, 09:56
any ideas when they gonna start the pilot selection screening guys.? :ooh:

Virtual Reality
5th Oct 2012, 15:33
Unofficially, Malindo has not started the recruitment drive yet but groundwork has been going on now. Get your contact established and by the time you hear about it, it is already too late ........ Remember, in a 'dog eats dog' environment, the well connected will survive. Just a thought .........;)

VR :cool:

kwaiyai
6th Oct 2012, 04:11
I hear Malindo will take on Bond if you leave AA. Still hearing work permit problems now at the Red Team showing up again:=. but not at Malindo.

volare_737
6th Oct 2012, 06:10
What do you mean work permit problems ? Surely Malaysians dont need work permits to work at AA.

jetjockey696
6th Oct 2012, 11:25
I think what kwaiyai is trying to say is that the expat CAPTAINS in AIRasia are having problems renewing there work permits. Meaning... that process time of work permit is taking a lonnnnnnnnnnnnng time, or paper work is missing somehow etc.. TF give the officals more free rides on your toys...:ok: or its maybe too late, the goodwill plane has already left... hahaha

jetjockey696
6th Oct 2012, 11:34
HOgger60 you gonna like this... TF is going Indian. his next adventure is India.

"AirAsia has had other disappointments. The long-haul unit of the business had to axe its flights to London and Paris earlier this year because they were losing too much money. High fuel prices were mainly to blame but the EU’s new carbon tax was the “nail in the coffin”, says Mr Fernandes. Other opportunities beckon, however, such as India. Its vast population, enormous size and new middle class dwarf even Indonesia’s. On September 14th, as part of a big package of economic reforms, the Indian government said it would let foreign airlines invest in Indian carriers for the first time, albeit limiting their stakes to 49%. AirAsia is “very interested” in India, says Mr Fernandes, but will wait until its fiercely competing local airlines have killed each other off"...THE ECONOMIST Sep 29th 2012.

The next owner of KINGFISHER Airlines.. haha...Pretty flight attendants there..:E

ssangyongs
9th Oct 2012, 03:46
from one F1 car to another..