PDA

View Full Version : Same old USB problem but I've forgotten the solution

OFSO
10th Sep 2012, 12:22
Turned PC on after some internal work, two USB connected drives not recognised. Had the same problem about a year ago, dimly remember it was easily solved but no idea what the solution was ! Help !

mike-wsm
10th Sep 2012, 15:47
Unplug reboot plug in.

No?

Put the disc in, let it find the drivers...

...er, one of those unrecognised drives was the disc drive??? Uh-oh. :{

BOAC
10th Sep 2012, 16:08
We assume you are talking Windows? Which version?

Shut down REMOVE power completely (as above UNPLUG) reboot. If that no fix, Google for registry hacks.

hooligan88b
10th Sep 2012, 16:47
Win 7 has a funny bug you can use USBDEVIEW to uninstall the device driver which usually fixes
View any installed/connected USB device on your system (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html)

OFSO
10th Sep 2012, 17:22
WIN-XP, SP III. Good news is after six hours I fixed the problem. Bad news is I can't help anyone else as don't know which of many things I did was successful.

Memo to self: what a truly piece of crap software WIN uses for allocating letters & etc to its removable drives.

In my ideal world:

You'd plug a drive in.
WIN look for an ID tag on the drive, if not found would allocate an ID tag (letter ?) on the screen and also - v. important - write the tag onto the drive.

You'd plug the drive in the next time.
WIN look for an ID tag on the drive, find it, think "we've been here before" and allocate the same id tag/letter on the screen.

Far too simple.

Saab Dastard
10th Sep 2012, 18:49
Ah yes, but can you remember which USB port you plugged it into...?

SD

Milo Minderbinder
10th Sep 2012, 19:17
Tip

if you want USB hard drives to be found by Plug N Pray, always plug them in BEFORE powering them up

As for what you'd forgotten.....was it USBDeview?
View any installed/connected USB device on your system (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html)

Two_dogs
10th Sep 2012, 19:25
I once had a computer with a SATA HDD, floppy dive, CD and DVD burners and a front mounted, internal USB connected multi card reader.

On a clean OS reinstall it allocated the floppy as A, card reader as C, HDD as D and burners as E and F.

As most software wants to install to C, and some not giving a choice, I had to unplug the card reader and start all over again.

:{

Milo Minderbinder
10th Sep 2012, 19:57
suffered that several times....

actually thats quite a good general tip - leave USB card readers unplugged during installation and only plug them in once you've got the OS up and running
more of a problem with SATA drives than good old fashioned IDE ones, where the drive letters were pretty much hard wired

ZH875
11th Sep 2012, 09:37
I I had to unplug the card reader and start all over again.

:{
No need, simply right click on my computer, manage, and change the drive letters to what you need.

Paraffin Budgie
11th Sep 2012, 13:12
You could unplug all USB devices, go to device manager and uninstall everything to do with USB. Reboot and plug in the devices one by one.

That usually works for me.

OFSO
11th Sep 2012, 14:39
No need, simply right click on my computer, manage, and change the drive letters to what you need.

That wasn't my problem !

Milo, thanks for that tip, this brilliant piece of s/w is now sitting in a folder on my desktop ready for next time. Everyone on this thread - look no further.

Milo Minderbinder
11th Sep 2012, 18:22
"No need, simply right click on my computer, manage, and change the drive letters to what you need"

You can't change the letters of the boot or system partitions