PDA

View Full Version : Degree or not degree?

splinterniki
9th Sep 2012, 16:53
do I need a 4 year degree from a university for work in all airlines company in U.S.?

zondaracer
9th Sep 2012, 17:01
You need one for almost all major airlines and some regionals in the US. Without a 4 year degree, a pilot career in the US will probably be limited to the regionals.

Your results may vary.

Flyer1015
11th Sep 2012, 09:27
Although the advice above is sound, let's give the man some factual answers.

Assuming he is talking about a pilot position...

The ONLY majors that actually require a degree are Delta and Fedex. For everyone else, it is preferred. Obviously, having a degree helps, but not a hard requirement for many airlines.

galaxy flyer
11th Sep 2012, 20:54
Flyer1045

You are technically correct, but effectively, a pilot without a 4-year degree will find it very hard to get an interview, let alone hired, without one.

GF

thepotato232
12th Sep 2012, 03:30
Many airlines don't "require" 1000 turbine PIC - if you've a blood relative on the hiring board.

Many airlines don't "require" multi engine turbine - if you're coming out of the military off of a posting on the F-16.

Many airlines don't "require" a college degree - if there's nobody with your qualifications available who has one. At the moment, there's no shortage of pilots with a full set of education credentials and thousands of hours of flight time. And as already pointed out, being hired at a regional airline without a four-year degree just gives you a land mine at the major hiring level that you're not likely to dodge.

There are some success stories of people finishing up their college online after they get a flying job, but not having a degree at all ensures a second-tier CV in the U.S. and abroad.

Flyer1015
12th Sep 2012, 07:19
I know many pilots with degrees and TPIC time that can't or aren't getting interviews. I've heard of guys getting hired without degrees. Except Delta and Fedex. Getting an interview is more of a "who you know" and the right internal rec can get you an interview.

My personal recommendation is to get a degree in something completely outside of aviation, as a backup to fall on.

CrazyStuntPilot
13th Sep 2012, 15:58
You will definitely need a degree. It doesn't matter which major you choose. You won't learn anything new by studying professional aeronautics.