PDA

View Full Version : jepperson approach plates legal requirements

ANSALONI
9th Sep 2012, 12:55
Hi everyone,
Just wondering. What are the requirements for approah plates on board an aircraft without EFB???? must both pilots have the original copy or can either have a photo-copied version provided an original is onboard???

Current Limiter
9th Sep 2012, 17:15
As far as I know, there is no legal requirement, so photo copies are fine as long as you can prove that your copies come from a source that is updated, like the other origonal copy that you have on board.

This is what a SA CAA inspector told me a while back on a ramp check.

gofor
10th Sep 2012, 04:58
At the bottom of every jepp chart is a copyright sign. So copies are not really legal. Any legal distributor of the chart that would originate from the source authority would suffice. In the case of the SACAA , it would be their AIP!

lilflyboy262...2
10th Sep 2012, 06:10
The copies are still legal to use. It is the fact that you have copied them that is illegal.
Different rule being broken.

D-OCHO
10th Sep 2012, 06:10
So copies are not really legal
So how can Jepview be legal than. These are printed and not original.

The Ancient Geek
10th Sep 2012, 08:43
It really is simple. For aviation purposes you must use the correct and up to date information.

Copying a copyright document is illegal but this is a matter for civil law not aviation law.

IOW, if you use photocopies the CAA are not interested but Jeppeson will get upset and sue you.

kykweer
10th Sep 2012, 14:19
Jeppview also has copyright but you buy a licence subject to terms and conditions. The correct way to do it, is to have a full SAF Jepp on board and each pilot has a route manual / trip kit provided and updated by Jeppesen. Making copies of plates is dodge to start off with.

mainbearing
11th Sep 2012, 05:14
A slight curved ball here but I beleive if one really gets technical the only 'legal' docs, in terms of CAA legislation, is the approach stuff published in the AIC or what ever their current name is.(If this has changed please Pshyc me up)
I know, Iknow, I know.......................

kykweer
11th Sep 2012, 09:23
Companies or Operators specifies in their Part 121/135 ops manuals what references they will use. They either specify Jeppesen or the old Aerad (Dont know what its called now). Their QA system shall ensure updates. The ops manual is approved by the CAA in terms of the relevant aviation legislation. Thus making reference system legal.

galaxy flyer
11th Sep 2012, 09:58
Simple, get an iPad with Jepps loaded. No paper, no weights, no issues

Shrike200
11th Sep 2012, 15:05
...because an iPad/charger is weightless. Ironic name, by the way ^^^ Also, OP said 'without EFB'.