PDA

View Full Version : PPL flying in Southern California (Palm Springs, Palm Desert, San Diego)

riccioenzo
9th Sep 2012, 08:19
I have a JAA PPL(A) and would like to do some flying in Southern California next January. I would prefer a C172, which I am used to. I have about 100 flying hours. Can you recommend a good school/club in Palm Springs, Palm Desert, Thermal, San Diego? I am looking first of all for safety, good plane availability, and competitive prices. No accomodation needed, just the planes.
Any tips would be welcome.

urban1937
9th Sep 2012, 09:15
Plusone flyer is a good choice! But they are in northern san diego. Check out their website

dont overfil
9th Sep 2012, 10:20
I have used "The Flight School" at Palm Springs a few times albeit the last time was 2007. It was located in the Signature building on El Cielo at the south west side.

The owner Andi Dutzi was unfailingly helpful lending us flight guides and giving us T shirts.

At that time they had 2 new C172SPs, a C182, DA40s and a Glastar.

Don't book a hotel until you have spoken to Andy. We stayed in the palatial Hotel Zosos at less than half of the advertised rates.

D.O.

Genghis the Engineer
9th Sep 2012, 13:49
I have used "The Flight School" at Palm Springs a few times albeit the last time was 2007. It was located in the Signature building on El Cielo at the south west side.

The owner Andi Dutzi was unfailingly helpful lending us flight guides and giving us T shirts.

At that time they had 2 new C172SPs, a C182, DA40s and a Glastar.

Don't book a hotel until you have spoken to Andy. We stayed in the palatial Hotel Zosos at less than half of the advertised rates.

D.O.

I had a similarly good experience there 2 years ago, although I rented a Turbo Arrow (also I didn't get a free t-shirt and already had a good hotel). Andy was a great chap and really helpful, the aeroplanes were excellent, and the instructors competent and friendly.

In Palm Springs the air museum is well worth a visit, as (non aviation) is the aerial tramway a few miles out of town. My favourite place to stay *was* the Pepper Tree Inn, which was good, pleasantly quirky, and very affordable. I say *was* because they've just rebranded as the "Alcazar":see Pepper Tree Inn Palm Springs is now ALCAZAR Palm Springs :: Modern boutique hotel in the heart of Palm Springs, CA (http://www.peppertreepalmsprings.com/)

If you are visiting Palm Springs (which I'd strongly recommend) also try and get a thursday evening free in the town for the street market.

San Diego is nice too, but personally I like Palm Springs more and when I looked at flying in SD, it was a lot more expensive. That was a few years ago however.

G

dont overfil
9th Sep 2012, 14:15
I can't remember the name of it but the restaurant above the Chop house on the balcony. Wonderful.

Back to the flying the airport is not too busy and there's no complex airspace.

D.O.

piperboy84
9th Sep 2012, 14:58
Try and get a copy of the "Pacific Flyer" a monthly mag for the SoCal aviation community i have seen where people advertise block hour rental dealls