PDA

View Full Version : Radio

clinique_happy
9th Sep 2012, 08:06
I am just training for my ppl and want to get experience on the radio! I would like to purchase a hand held radio so I can
Listen to aircraft etc! Does anyone know if this is illegal? And does anyone know where I can purchase a cheapish one from

on21
9th Sep 2012, 09:50
Read this :- Ofcom | Guidance on Receive-Only Radio Scanners (http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/enforcement/spectrum-enforcement/guidance)

And look on eBay.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
9th Sep 2012, 10:20
<<Does anyone know if this is illegal?>

Yes, it is.

Gordy
9th Sep 2012, 13:52
Really-----you cannot even listed....?

Here listen all you like to these across this side of the pond....and free too (http://www.liveatc.net/)

RMK
9th Sep 2012, 14:12
illegal in the UK, but not in most other countries. Don't know what your location "east" means, but there's an iPhone that you can listen to ATC in the US and other countries.

agodesign
9th Sep 2012, 16:17
Liveatc.net

Colibri49
9th Sep 2012, 17:15
So let me see if I understand this peculiar law correctly. In addition to my helicopter commercial licence, I also hold a fixed-wing ppl. The aircraft which I fly recreationally is a small 2-seater and usually I invite non-pilot friends to come flying with me. The intercom is part of (i.e. built in) to the VHF radio and cannot be used without ATC radio transmissions being audible to my passenger.

Therefore I am breaking the law by allowing my passengers to listen to ATC broadcasts which theoretically are not "general", although if an air traffic broadcast isn't general then I clearly don't understand English.

My passengers are breaking the law because "ignorance of the law is no defence" and even the radio manufacturers and designers are potentially infringing the law by creating a device which could be used by a pilot to talk with a non-pilot passenger who is also privy to radio messages.

What I believe is that the law is an ass in this respect and that laws are made for guidance of the wise and blind obedience of the foolish.

It's one thing to frame laws which are meant to protect private conversations from eavesdroppers, but it's idiocy to assert that ATC related safety broadcasts aren't "general".

Peter-RB
9th Sep 2012, 17:32
Part of my normal day at the office is to turn on my scanner(Air Only) to listen to many of my pals who overfly my quite often, as a PPL(H) I am breaking the law just listening ? well then I had better not reveal myself as to my location, seems a little wool being pulled here me thinks:=

Peter R-B

stringfellow
9th Sep 2012, 17:47
Clinique. The radio element of a ppl is quite daunting therefore the more you listen the more proficient you will become. Just get one bought from a well known pilot shop, tune in, and away you go. Also get yourself a radio theory book and piece it all together. It may sound daunting but remember a radio call generally states who you are, where you are, and what you want to do. The more you listen the better, try and create a vision of who is where just from the transmissions. But whatever you do DONT make a transmission yourself.

You need to ask not is it legal, but will it make me a better, safer, pilot. In todays world you need permission to break wind so go for it, and all the best with your ppl.

clinique_happy
9th Sep 2012, 19:32
Thanks for all you advice think I'll just bite the bullet plea ignorant if get caught its the only way I'm going to learn! Anyone know where I can get a cheap one from?

Agaricus bisporus
10th Sep 2012, 09:21
My only caveat would be that the newbie has no idea what is correct RT and what is not, and there is a lot of gash RT about these days. How do they determine which bits to emulate and which to ignore?

Commercial RT At big airports is hardly relevant to the Prospective PPL and much RT at smaller airfields is so far from "the book" that it is likely to be more hindrance than help.

I'd suggest Read CAP whateveritis and leave the practical tuition to your instructor. Radio is not hard and something that you will learn naturally as you go along. Dont worry about it. It isn't an issue.

MikeNYC
10th Sep 2012, 13:17
I'll second LiveATC.net . You can listen to radio traffic feeds from hundreds of airports around the world, as well as approach and enroute facilities. Pull it up on your computer, phone or tablet, and you can also download archived recordings.

It will acquaint you with different accents, speed of RT delivery, local procedures, etc. The only caveat is that no UK airports are serviced due to local laws.

Gordy
10th Sep 2012, 13:56
Try youtube also...lots on there.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
10th Sep 2012, 18:10
<<What I believe is that the law is an ass in this respect and that laws are made for guidance of the wise and blind obedience of the foolish.>>

Yep... always someone who knows better. Like the guys doing 60mph in a 30 zone.. until they get caught.

Check this: http://www.pprune.org/atc-issues/206063-listening-uk-atc-communications-law.html

f0xhunter
10th Sep 2012, 19:04
Laws that aren't enforced lose enforceability. It is still an offence in the Metropolitan police district, to shake a rug or a carpet. Likewise, until a couple of years ago, it was an offence to sell a newspaper on a Sunday.

chevvron
10th Sep 2012, 19:41
clinique: go to your local market where there will be a stand selling various types of radio. They're bound to have one covering 108 - 138 mhz costing about 20 quid, rather than paying out up to 200 at a pilot shop.
Having now told you that, I'll have to kill you.