PDA

View Full Version : Airnorth Tiwi Islands

aviation_enthus
8th Sep 2012, 23:52
For those of you who remember!!

I've seen it mentioned on here a few times that Airnorth used to run a C208 around the Tiwi Islands. Was this RPT? 2 crew?

Considering the now wide use of Caravans ex TSV CS and the Torres Strait on RPT how come no NT operators have made the jump to new equipment?

skylane
9th Sep 2012, 00:35
I heard that it was the first C208 approved for RPT ops, and CASA had a field day! Two crew and more equipment than the multi-crewed Brasiia. They couldn't make it pay against the opposition's old C310's, 402s etc.

I also understood that Eastlands were actually making ends meet in Darwin using a Twin Otter on the Bathurst run

Hasselhof
9th Sep 2012, 01:24
They couldn't make it pay against the opposition's old C310's, 402s etc.

Keep in mind that Airnorth had 402s at that time too.

tail wheel
9th Sep 2012, 02:08
I heard that it was the first C208 approved for RPT ops, and CASA had a field day!

No, Air North did not get the first LCRPT AOC nominating C208 operations into remote air strips, that went to a Torres Strait operator.

However, a number of years ago the then DFOM at CASA, Darwin did make the incredibly intelligent, rational and practical decision to issue Air North a LCRPT AOC for their mail service to station airstrips, in SE aircraft.

zac21
9th Sep 2012, 02:32
(Air North did not get the first LCRPT AOC nominating C208 operations into remote air strips, that went to a Torres Strait operator.)

Taily, maybe 'Aborigional Air Services' out of Alice and Darwin?

tail wheel
9th Sep 2012, 07:00
No, things were different in the NT. I think the CASA office average IQ was significantly higher than the CASA Queensland average IQ and definately far higher than the average IQ of the CASA Cairns office.

It was maybe 1999, Toller was CASA Director and introduced regulatory change to enable RPT operations to be conducted into airstrips that did not comply with the standards for RPT. The first two LCRPT AOC's issued under the revise regulation were for FNQ operators, although I think the third may have gone to the NT operation sponsored by MAF???

I don't recall the full details.

aviation_enthus
9th Sep 2012, 21:06
Thanks tail wheel.

Why no caravans now tho? It's like the NT is some special place where old GA charter rules. Northern WA and north QLD probably have at least 10 vans each but the NT none?!

world traveler
10th Sep 2012, 02:16
The NT government travel policy states that travel preferred must be in a twin engine aircraft. Yet, they operate a PC12 for the Police, and i know that where required a C210/206 fills the gaps on short strips. Seems strange that 40 year old pistons are better than a modern single turbine...:ugh:

aviation_enthus
11th Sep 2012, 06:22
World Traveller

Where does it actually state this? I understand the QLD government does not require a twin engine aircraft, eg an RPT caravan is ok.

After much searching I found this:
http://www.health.nt.gov.au/library/scripts/objectifyMedia.aspx?file=pdf/65/98.pdf&siteID=1&str_title=Aircraft%20Charter%20Policy.pdf

It sets out the Health Dep travel policy (which I imagine would be the same for other Departments). First few pages say, RPT first, then charter from RPT AOC holder in piston twin OR single engine turbine!!

world traveler
12th Sep 2012, 20:49
Let me re-write that... Back in the day (only a few years ago) when i did some op's work i was told by various Government agents making the bookings that was the policy. Even a Cessna 337 was considered a single to them. I never read the actual policy as i assumed the people booking knew their stuff. I tried to convince them about using a C208 seeing the Police had a PC12, however it was shot down. They just wanted twins, so we supplied them. No point arguing with the customer, as "they know best"....