PDA

View Full Version : first solo_24 hour buzz

steveoxo
7th Apr 2002, 20:26
i've just completed first solo, couldnt believe the buzz. !!!!!!ive even gained 3 inches in height. none of my work colleagues believe it can be done after only eight hours training (neither can i). at 37 i NEED a new job, the thought of actually looking forward to going to work has convinced me that ATPL is the only way. ill find the money from somewhere, do the overtime,even quit the drink (sort of). could somebody please tell me the cheapest path to take and the minimum qualifications needed. thanks. :D

Slasher
8th Apr 2002, 08:03
Yeh steve youll never forget your first solo! I cant remember my first IF flight or the first time I flew a jet or the first time I completed a navex. But I can recall every second of my first solo nearley 24 years ago!

To answer your question you got your work cut out for you mate. Theres no use bullsh!ttin its in any way easey. Generaly the bookwork sorts the men from the boys as only those who genuinley love flying make it sucessfuly through. The actual flying training is the easier bit.

There are a few ways to achieve ATPL standard in a reasonable time:

* Do all your bookwork first! Before goin near a plane again complete all your PPL subjects. Then imediately go straight into CPLs. Then complete your PPL flying training. Then study ATPL subjects FULL TIME. Then commence your CPL flying training. Your aim here is to keep the subjects one level above your existing pilots licence because its the bookwork thatll slow you down if theres a hitch. And trying to remain current while studying Perf A is exspensive! Also,
since your alreadey "in the studying mode" its better to go straight on to the next level because its a real drag tryin to get back in the books after a years flogging around in a Chieftan!

* Get a good flying school! First order of business is to get a school that not only provides best bang for the quid, but also trains you to a good standard. A school that poorley trains its students spreads like wildfire and could handicap you for future consideration in jobs believe it or not. Ask around and anoy the sh!t out of schools with questions. NEVER stay loyal to a school your not happy with. Its your $$$ and your future at stake not theirs. If its posible in the UK go for schools located OCTA for your training to CPL to cut down on flying costs asociated with useless ATC vectoring etc. From CIR on, within CTA would be better.

* Work and pay for your own lessons. I did it this way because I had no rich daddy and there were no cadetships in Oz back then. Its a very slow process where you work your @rse off all week and blow the lot on an hours training on Saturdays and Sundays. I took 2 years to achieve VFR CPL and 3 to achieve ATPL and CIR. After that I could afford to buy a car and move into a better flat!

* Join a cadet scheme. You might be outside the age-limit and I admit Im not too well genned-up on these schemes but sniff around the major carriers and ask other wannabees. But from what I know these schemes are pretty good if its with the right carrier. Bear in mind your balls will be roped to the Company through a Bond arrangment for a specifyed period of time.

* Get a sponsor. Like cadetships Im not well up with sponsorships but they seem to work if the sponsors got his head screwed on right. Check with other wannabees for the ins and outs.

Hope this helps.

steveoxo
8th Apr 2002, 12:01
thanks for the advice slasher.