PDA

View Full Version : Would airlines still accept me if I don't have a Year 12 pass but passes in all ATPL?

jabiru79
8th Sep 2012, 01:36
Would airlines still accept me if I don't have a Year 12 pass but passes in all ATPL subjects?. I didn't complete it and regret it. But I have an RA license with 100 flying hours and a pass in PPL theory and CPL MET. If I pass ATPL does that mean airlines will still want me as I'm smart enough to learn and pass all that or does not having the mark class you as being uncapable? I have tried 3 times in 2 years to complete Year 12 but due to having a full time job to live I fall behind and end up dropping out. :(. I feel super bad but to be an airline pilot is my dream but I can't just give up my job either.:confused:

sonsama91
9th Sep 2012, 04:45
on the same boat as you mate.
Was forced to drop out of school after year 10 due to my Visa reasons. Spent most of life in OZ.
I am 21 and have a certificate 4 and have applied UNI for bit of competition against with those who have an year 12 certificate.
As far as I know, Only QANTAS hires pilots with an bachelor degree in Aus.
I have a colleague who's father is a captain for ALLIANCE airways and he did not finish high school either.
If year 12 qualifications are worrying you too much, try to obtain a higher qualification degree at UNI/College.

propelled
9th Sep 2012, 05:24
From what I have seen so far, it is only Qantas/QantsLink that require a pass in English and Maths at Yr 12/HSC level.
Due to a total lack of interest at school, i just fell short of a 'pass' in English.
Should you have a need to join QF, or other airlines which require a pass in Yr12 English/Maths, they may also accept equivalency courses for these. just check with your potential employer who the providers of such courses are.
For myself, I am getting through my ATPL's first. Should I feel like applying for QF/link, I will just do the equivalent subject so to tick the box so to speak.
Good Luck

Capt Claret
9th Sep 2012, 06:59
Depends upon the Airline. QF/AN/TN wouldn't consider my application, with ATPL because of no year 12. Mind you, they might have rejected me even had I had year 12 passes. :}

But I'm quite happy in my Douglas/Boeing 717. :8

KRviator
9th Sep 2012, 09:14
And just to make life easy, here's (http://www.bFound.net/Company/189-20080604124603.pdf) the listing of QF approved bridging courses.

aeromatt
10th Sep 2012, 01:22
i asked this question of Qantaslink recruitment not so long ago as I also haven't completed year 12.

I was told that the requirement is a HSC WITH passes in Maths/English/Physics. If you completed year 12 and obtained a HSC but don't have passes in the 3 relevant subjects, they will accept an approved bridging course (a list of these is on the QF recruitment site).

If you're in my boat and haven't done year 12 at all they won't accept the 3 bridging courses as these don't constitute a full HSC, instead the only course of action is to obtain a higher qualification, i.e. a degree.

propelled
10th Sep 2012, 03:45
Ok well hsc needed then in your case.
Pass in physics is no longer a requirement though, just english and maths(unless this has changed since june)

Landahoy
11th Sep 2012, 09:33
Gday Jabiru,

I was in the same boat many many years ago. Left school at 15. Now have been with the majors (both of them) for many years.

Took advice from an old salt and went back to TAFE and did what was required.
Year 12 ME&P. The recruiters will love the fact that you just did it without complaining.

In fact I'll say that in hindsight, Im glad to have done it that way. The life experience gained working full time as a 15 year old was great.

Just do it. There's nothing on telly worth watching. Great way to meet girls too.

Make your own luck.

Cheers.