PDA

View Full Version : From RAF to USAF?

Cartman, E
7th Apr 2002, 19:53
I know of a few people who have moved from the RAF to air forces such as the RAAF, and of course we have recently taken a bunch of guys from the RNZAF. My question regards crossovers to the USAF. Is this possible (either pre or post wings) and can anybody supply me with any details. I'm aware of return of service etc but would appreciate any other info or experiences.

Thanks in advance!

EC

madasacow
7th Apr 2002, 20:01
I believe that to join the American Military you would first have to become an American citizen.

mutleyfour
7th Apr 2002, 20:12
You'd then become an english/american or is it american/english! maybe even anglo/american, assuming your not irish, scottish or heaven forbid welsh!

:p :D :p

Talking Radalt
7th Apr 2002, 20:58
I heard they do a weird scheme where you can join the military but can't actually serve (other than training) on mainland USA or something odd. Mind you the way they're going the chance is pretty slim anyway!

Swept
7th Apr 2002, 22:42
you would have to learn the language as well.
stood in a BX not long ago in the good ole US and was asked where i was from. when i replied england the sweet girl asked what language we spoke there!!!

StopStart
8th Apr 2002, 00:36
There is some sort of scheme whereby foreign nationals can join the US Military if there are US Forces stationed in your country. I know of one brit who joined the USAF in the 70s and was stationed at Lakenheath. There are also Puerto Rican C130 crews serving under the US flag.

FishHead
9th Apr 2002, 01:06
There are also Puerto Rican C130 crews serving under the US flag.

I don't suppose that might have something to do with all Puerto Ricans being US citizens would it?
Puerto Rico is a 'commonwealth associated with the USA'. They even get one nonvoting representative in the US House of Representatives.

Check 6
9th Apr 2002, 10:46
Non-US Citizens are in fact allowed to join our Military. This also is an avenue to become a US Citizen.

When we still had our conscript program (Draft-ended about 1975) a British friend was living in the US, got drafted, went to flight school, became Dual Citizen.

There are many Non-US citizens serving honorably in our military, and most do become US citizens. ;) ;)

bad livin'
9th Apr 2002, 13:22
This may go part way to explaining how a local lad of about 18 went to the USAF Academy after he finished school. How he got the senator recommend etc however remains a mystery.

DuckDogers
9th Apr 2002, 15:18
One can join the USAF as a British citizen but only as an enlisted man. To become a commissioned officer one would have to gain US citizenship. ETC, another question would be why? Yeap they've got the gucci kit but to be hinest you'd be better off going to Canada/Aus/NZ et al as a commenwealth citizen.

doh-nut boy
9th Apr 2002, 18:04
Would one not need a personality by-pass and a lobotomy too?

steamchicken
9th Apr 2002, 20:08
yeah...becoming a Yank when you're a Brit already, that's like pissing in your beer.

MrBernoulli
9th Apr 2002, 21:09
I think you will also find that all USAF officers must hold a university degree - they don't commission school leavers.

Talking Radalt
9th Apr 2002, 21:32
...and a B-movie actor could never be President.:p

ex-knuck
11th Apr 2002, 01:07
MrBernoulli is right, I have had many friends who were on ex-change to the USAF, USN & USMC either flying or instructing on the Hornet, a position they would not qualify for as the don't have a degree if they were US citizens.

bad livin'
11th Apr 2002, 09:57
Mr B, the lad i referred to entered Colorado Springs to do his degree and be commissioned into the USAF after 4 years. This was a year or two ago now and I believe he's still hard at it.