PDA

View Full Version : BA TEP age limit

Great Scot
7th Apr 2002, 19:21
I’m rapidly approaching my 27th birthday and would be too old for the BA TEP scheme if it was still running. My only hope is that it’s resurrected as soon as possible and the age limit is raised by a year or two. I seem to remember a few years ago it was 28 or 29. Does anyone know if the age limit was raised after the scheme was frozen during the gulf war? What are the chances of it being raised again or am I just clutching at straws???:confused:

Lucifer
7th Apr 2002, 20:23
I believe it was lowered due to evidence about the better 'trainability' and ease of moulding younger people to the BA ideal, so I am sceptical about your chances to be honest. On the plus side, due to the freeze on recruiting now, there is always the possibility that those who decide policy may allow people such as yourself the chance since you are currently unable to apply. Until concrete recruitment plans emerge though, I doubt there will be any clear answers.

EightsOnPylons
8th Apr 2002, 02:07
Hello!

What does BA TEP mean?

I'm guessing Bristish Airways .. TEP ??

thanks

kula
8th Apr 2002, 09:49
Trainee Entry Program (I think!) also know as CEP (Cadet Entry Program).

purple haze
8th Apr 2002, 18:22
where does the scheme stand now if you have applied,

in that, when it reopens, do we have to reapply, or does the app. continue from where it was frozen?

Sagey
8th Apr 2002, 18:36
I think you have to re-apply, in fact am pritty sure of it. No doubt BA need to recruit people that deal with such applications again, as I think a load of them were made redundant after 09/11

Time can only tell

Sagey

schuler_tuned
8th Apr 2002, 19:45
...... and with the Flight International rumour being that if it does return, it would be along the lines of Lufthansa and Qantas's scheme that require the student to pay for the course after selection. Too old myself, but the ouch factor of paying would obviously be balanced by the (almost guaranteed) job at the end, if it did indeed follow this route or was even started again.
Not trying to be pessemistic or anything, but it took a long time before anything followed Hamble's closure, and B.A.'s world, along with everyone else's has changed so fast, so soon.
Loved to be proved wrong, as the C.E.P. was a chance for the otherwise unable type to have a chance, but just feel the "ideal world" isn't likely to get any nearer very soon.
Best of luck, of course, to everyone, even if you do want to become a bloody Nigel !!!!!

Wedge
8th Apr 2002, 23:45
TEP - Trainee Entry Pilot
CEP - Cadet Entry Pilot

BA changed the name a couple of years ago to make it sound a bit less military I think.

The age limit was previously 28 (29 to start training) and it was lowered a couple of years ago to 26. To be honest Scot, I think it's unlikely that the age limit will be raised again for the forseeable future,and it's also unlikely that BA will be taking on new cadets for the forseeable as well......sorry but I am being realistic. Still don't worry, there are lots of other ways in if you are determined enough.

And as schuler says, who wants to be a Nigel anyway! ;)

Hand Solo
8th Apr 2002, 23:50
I really can't seeing it going the way of the Lufthansa scheme. The objective of the BA TEP scheme is to allow the airline to choose the kind of people it wants to become pilots and then train them to do the job, rather than choosing the best from the kind of people who can afford to become pilots, which obviouslt are a much smaller group. The costs to BA are actually minimal as they more than recover the cost of training by paying you a reduced salary for five years, then stealing a further £3K of that salary each year for that period. Lufty may charge for training but I'm pretty sure they don't engage in that sort of underhand behaviour once they give you the job. On the original subject of the age limit, I can't see any reason why they would raise it as statistically the older students have been less succesful, plus they have far more applicants than they need within the desired age group.

fonawah
8th May 2002, 07:30
Who's Nigel? What does the term mean "to be a Nigel"?

Evo7
8th May 2002, 08:01
Nigel is a BA Pilot :)

Gin Slinger
8th May 2002, 20:46
....Lufty has a bright future economically? That's what they said about BA in '97!

Sachen sind gehende Orange...

Grafter
9th May 2002, 14:32
Here is a link to the BA website regarding careers as pilots, trainees etc......

BA Jobs (http://www.britishairwaysjobs.com/cc/pilots/index.jsp)

Hope that it helps some of you :)

Gin Slinger
9th May 2002, 16:49
Studi:

Es ist schwieriger Forderung mit etwas realer Konkurrenz (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52563&perpage=15&pagenumber=2)
anzubieten. Ich stimme mein Deutsches bin sehr defekt zu!

purple haze
9th May 2002, 17:19
this might sound like a silly q.

can you be 26 and a half or even more, at the time of application,
as long as your below 27 at the time of training.

cheers....

positive_rate
10th May 2002, 10:28
Studi

Can you join Lufthansa on this program if you are not a German national and you speak German?

Mr Positive

:cool:

positive_rate
10th May 2002, 16:53
Studi

Vielen Dank.
Ich habe alles gelesen und fast alles verstanden!

Vielleicht soll ich mehr zeit in den deutschen Kneipen bleiben, um mein Deutsch zu verbessern!

Schoen Gluck fur Sie auch.

Herr Positive:cool: