PDA

View Full Version : ASIC Renewal

Pontius
6th Sep 2012, 06:26
I didn't want to resurrect the former ASIC renewal threads (some dating back to 2007), so I thought I'd start a new one. The difference is this one comes with a twist; I'm actually congratulating CASA on a reasonable turnaround time :eek: From sending my form off to getting the card in my grubby hand has taken 13 days and that's from WA as well.

I went direct through CASA because my previous card was issued by them and I didn't want to go through the rigmarole of an initial issue with the ID people (yes, I know they run the website and just stick a CASA label on it, alongside their's). I don't consider myself a cheapskate but it was cheaper going direct as well ($186).

I'm not trying to ingratiate myself with our 'regulator' but it looks like they may have finally got their s#*t in one sock and brought ASIC card issuing down to a reasonable time.

The only snag I have with this card is that I never use it (don't fly anywhere with barbed wire fences surrounding the runway) and $186 could be better spent in the bottle shop :}

Hasherucf
6th Sep 2012, 06:45
The only snag I have with this card is that I never use it (don't fly anywhere with barbed wire fences surrounding the runway) and $186 could be better spent in the bottle shop

Obvious question.....why get it then ?

Pontius
6th Sep 2012, 09:52
Just in case I ever need to go to Jandakot :suspect:

I think it also helps if one gets 'ramp checked' by an FOI. I know I don't have to have one at the places I fly but it's far, far easier to just pull it out of the bag, FOI ticks it off his list and it's one less thing to argue the toss about. I haven't been checked ever in Oz and only a couple of other times around the planet, so I must be due soon :)

Hasherucf
6th Sep 2012, 10:07
Do you need one at Jandakot now? As early as last year I was there and didn't need one.

compressor stall
6th Sep 2012, 10:47
Since we are in the realm of congratulations.

Melbourne airport AUS ASIC renewal. Handed in form Monday morning. Picked up ASIC Thursday lunchtime. :D:D

runway16
6th Sep 2012, 23:10
Only took five weeks. The account bite took less than one week.

T28D
7th Sep 2012, 00:25
Don't need an ASIC for YPJT

baswell
7th Sep 2012, 00:32
There is a difference between "never asked to show it" and "not needed". :)

Jandakot, like the international hub of Birdsville, is a security controlled AD. So if asked, you need one.

Feather #3
7th Sep 2012, 01:48
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but is it not illegal to fly a VH- registered a/c in Oz without holding either an ASIC or an AVID?:confused:

G'day ;)

YPJT
7th Sep 2012, 06:53
Jandakot along with its interstate cousins are exempted from the ASIC display requirements due to not having RPT services. I believe a certain portion of Morrabbin does have an area where ASICs are required due to RPT services. The only reason they were designated Security Controlled in the first place was to make funding available to upgrade their airside security boundaries. There doesn't appear to be any mention of it within the Act or Regs so I guess the exemption is issued specifically to each airport with an expiry period. Makes sense as it allows the exemption to be removed without legislative change.
More information available here (http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_90107)

Feather #3 is correct in that you need either ASIC or AVID under CASA regs to fly. Given that the AVID is useless when trying to access any security controlled airport, the ASIC makes more sense.

Pontious, glad to hear your story and lets hope that just maybe, CLARC at CASA have finlly got their s*&t in one sock. They do have a woeful history though so I won't be popping champagne corks just yet.

YPJT
10th Sep 2012, 08:53
My post above was not correct.
Regulation 3.03

(4) Subregulation (1) does not apply in relation to a security
controlled airport from or to which no regular public transport
operation operates.

peterc005
10th Sep 2012, 09:37
The whole ASIC thing is a real pain.

I wish they'd be sensible and make them five, rather than two year, renewals to minimise the cost and effort.

It's a good idea to get an ASIC even if you just fly around the country because eventually you'll need it.

(Also handy for getting your 10% pilot discount at Gloria Jeans DFO Moorabbin)

BlatantLiar
10th Sep 2012, 09:53
The amount of coffees some people get from there, it would almost pay for their ASICs :E

peterc005
10th Sep 2012, 10:41
The ASIC saves 40cents a coffee.

From memory the ASIC costs $200 and lasts for two years, say $2 a week.

If I have five coffees a week from Gloria Jeans then ASIC pays for itself!

VH-XXX
10th Sep 2012, 11:29
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but is it not illegal to fly a VH- registered a/c in Oz without holding either an ASIC or an AVID?

Indeed you are correct!

kingRB
10th Sep 2012, 11:32
hangon aren't the CASA issued ASIC's renewed by Aviation ID anyway? So I don't think CASA actually deserves any recognition at all for the minimal delay in the renewal processing.

diddly squat
10th Sep 2012, 15:45
If I have five coffees a week from Gloria Jeans then ASIC pays for itself!

Typical Oz pilot, you remind of the idiots who boast about their wage and include super the the employers cost for workers comp and insurances !

Or the idiots who say, it is ok I pay fro my uniform shirts, Jepps and hotel because it is tax deductible.

Back down to the flying club for you :E

Bonniciwah
11th Sep 2012, 04:28
I sometimes go to Essendon Airport at lunch time because I work near there (to grab a burger, check out Gee Bees and be all avgeeky). Out of curiosity, can I go air side if I have my ASIC, or do I also need a valid reason to be there.

Hasherucf
11th Sep 2012, 04:31
So is a ASIC tax deductible ? I work air-side and need to wear it daily but it seems my tax agent thinks that because its a federal police clearance I just have to wear the cost .

Trent 972
11th Sep 2012, 04:40
BonniciwahOut of curiosity, can I go air side if I have my ASIC, or do I also need a valid reason to be there.Does an ASIC give a person an automatic right to access a secure area of an airport? (http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/transport/security/aviation/asi/asics.aspx#b)

An ASIC does not give a person an automatic right to access a secure area.

Only the airport operator can give authorisation to access a secure area of the airport. The ASIC simply indicates that the holder has been background checked and that the check revealed that they are of suitable character to be in a secure area, if the airport operator authorises them to be there

airspace alpha
11th Sep 2012, 04:41
an ASIC is required at ANY airport, large or small, that has regular public transport (RPT) flights. This was not going to be in the original act by the way- it was only inserted after cabinet of the day (2004) directed thus.Therefore an ASIC is needed at Moorabbin because of King island airlines and at essendon because of Sharps. it is not a legal requirement at Jandakot, Bankstown or Archerfield because they don't have RPT.
Moorabbin got away with a unique exception for several years. An ASIC was only required in two blue line marked areas of king Island and the main apron. To to this they had to go through hoops like setting up dedicated CCTV surveillance and having two quite seperate security programmes- one for moorabbin (RPT) and one for moorabbin (GA). Didn't last: OTS finally insisted that they merge the two programmes and declare the entire area of Moorabbin a mandatory ASIC area.
Of course, one would argue that it would be COMMON SENSE to do what moorabbin did and only have ASIC's required in the actual RPT operating area.

Trent 972
11th Sep 2012, 05:24
Hasherucf,
Whilst your question is not specifically covered in Taxation Ruling TR 95/19 (http://law.ato.gov.au/atolaw/view.htm?docid=TXR/TR9519/NAT/ATO/00001)
Income tax: airline industry employees - allowances, reimbursements and work-related deductions.

It does say
The basic tests for deductibility of work-related expenses are in subsection 51(1) of the Act. It says:
'All losses and outgoings to the extent to which they are incurred in gaining or producing the assessable income, or are necessarily incurred in carrying on a business for the purpose of gaining or producing such income, shall be allowable deductions except to the extent to which they are losses or outgoings of capital, or of a capital, private or domestic nature, or are incurred in relation to the gaining or production of exempt income.'

Lancair70
11th Sep 2012, 10:31
Out of curiosity, can I go air side if I have my ASIC, or do I also need a valid reason to be there.

I got pulled up on this one. The first time an A39 Albatross landed at Ballina, it was parked on the GA apron, I took my 5yr old out there for a closer look and was told by the security officer who knows me by name, that I couldnt be there as I didnt have a valid reason. When I asked about definition of a valid reason, was told it meant, for purposes of flying, working on or attending aircraft for which I was responsible or accountable for. Having a look at a jet isnt a valid reason. So even if I was there with my 5yr old, washing the aeroplane I fly, I still couldnt wander over and have a closer look at any other aircraft!

Volumex
12th Sep 2012, 01:55
For an initial ASIC application, I applied on the interweb on the Aug 27, posted the documents on Aug 30 from Brisbane and got an email 10 minutes ago saying the ASIC has been approved and is being posted today. Less than 2 weeks from when they would have received the documents until it was posted. :ok: