PDA

View Full Version : Handheld GPS recommendation for NZ

India Four Two
5th Sep 2012, 05:47
I'm coming down to NZ in November for my annual "flying fix", this time with my brand new Kiwi PPL, so I'm planning to do some cross-country.

Can anyone recommend a GPS with NZ maps and should I buy it before I come to NZ?

knox
5th Sep 2012, 06:39
I'm sure you'll get a pile of responses saying to use paper maps and use proper planning and I'd agree. However I use gps daily but always carry maps for planning and reference and see nothing wrong with doing so.

I use a garmin 296 and find it more than adequate. The 196 would see you right too but not a colour display.

Enjoy flying in NZ.

Knox.

India Four Two
5th Sep 2012, 07:24
knox,

I'm sure you'll get a pile of responses saying to use paper maps and use proper planning and I'd agree. However I use gps daily but always carry maps for planning and reference and see nothing wrong with doing so.

Yes, I agree with you on both counts. ;)

I'm firmly in the "finger on the map" camp, having learnt to fly non-radio in the UK, but it seems foolish not to take advantage of a well-established technology like GPS, particularly for improving SA in terms of airspace and terrain.

In February, I had a flight from Tauranga to Tarawera and back in a Tecnam Golf and I was really impressed with the built-in GPS - I cannot remember which model. Fascinating watching nearby hills on the map change from red to green as we climbed.

India Four Two
24th Sep 2012, 16:06
Nearly three weeks since my post and only one response.

So either knox is the only GPS user on this forum or nobody cares.

Anyone else have a recommendation?

smiling monkey
24th Sep 2012, 16:42
I don't think the country is all that big, mate. How many minutes does it take to cross from east to west coast? It's probably like taking a GPS to a GA training area.

c100driver
24th Sep 2012, 19:15
The country is very easy to navigate with just paper. However if you do want a hand held device I have found the iPad to be very suitable. Connect it to the Garmin GLO remote Bluetooth GPS and you are good to go.

If you are buying a set of maps or an E map be cautious as the charts all change in November. New Zealand only updates airspace one a year and it is around November. There are some big airspace changes particularly around the Queenstown area this time around.

India Four Two
25th Sep 2012, 02:08
I don't think the country is all that big, mate. How many minutes does it take to cross from east to west coast?

sm,
I know what you mean. Two years ago, I did a cross-country from Tauranga to New Plymouth and back. I commented to my instructor that that the first time I had flown from the westcoast to the eastcoast of a country and back in a day. His response was "You could walk it in 30 minutes in Auckland!"

c100driver,
Thanks for the tip. I didn't know that. Do you have any more information, since I will be arriving there in late November?

avcraft
28th Sep 2012, 03:03
iPad and AirNav Pro. Unbeatable in my opinion..

India Four Two
28th Sep 2012, 08:07
avcraft,

I have both so I'll try that.

Do you use the iPad built-in GPS or an external unit? If using the iPad GPS (presumably on your lap), do you have any reception issues?

avcraft
2nd Oct 2012, 09:29
I've got an external Dual Bluetooth gps but rarely use it, iPad is fine sitting on my knee or pax seat. When I'm lazy and local flights I just use my iPhone with airnav pro, long flights I use both. You'll get a good 5 or 6 hours from the iPad running on battery alone. Cheers

27/09
2nd Oct 2012, 09:34
I use the i1:250 and i1:500, they have all the info I need, and are very accurate plus the battery never goes flat. :p

NzCaptainAndrew
2nd Oct 2012, 10:47
Garmin Aera 500! :}:}:ok::ok::ok:

Ex FSO GRIFFO
3rd Oct 2012, 09:43
Hey Avcraft,

That combination of which you speak.....

With the AirNavPro and the I-pad, do you get NZ type charts or what is it that is displayed on the screen please?

I want to use it in W.A....do you have to buy charts, or is it a 'Google Earth' type display?

Following the links from your site, I found the 'Bad Elf' as a GPS receiver....supposedly OK for the I-pad etc.

So, putting all of this together, how does it look in the workplace?

Cheers :ok:

(Dinosaur here...)

Super Ord
3rd Oct 2012, 09:59
I use an Ipad (3g with onboard GPS)with airnav pro for WA. Have the meeka, kalgoorlie, wiluna and perth WAC's and the perth VTC.

Fantastic for situational awareness, and the ability to look at various strips along the route and get physical characteristics of the possible landing sites being overflown. Gives length, width and surface type and runway heading as well as CTAF and area frequencies.

A huge number of other tools available. Compares well with aircraft GPS derived data. Personlly, I find it much better than Oz runways.

PM me if you want to have a look at it.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
3rd Oct 2012, 12:44
Thanks Mr 'SO',

I may take you up on that - however I will be away 'up North' for a while, in a few days.
Ta Muchly:ok:

Ex FSO GRIFFO
3rd Oct 2012, 14:06
PM Sent Mr. SO.....

Ta.:ok:

avcraft
5th Oct 2012, 00:20
I'm using it with the NZ VNC's, I would assume you can load Aus WAC's, VTC etc. You have to buy charts but from then on all updates are free, there's no ongoing cost, no subscriptions. Even has 3D terrain.. Personally I think Airnav Pro is fantastic. I first flew with a Sony Pyxis GPS in '92 and then a Garmin 100, that was awesome because it had a CDI!!

To answer your question, it looks great in the workplace! I spent 20 years flying in Aus outback and now flying in NZ so it's certainly helped with the transition

Cheers