PDA

View Full Version : what are minimum qualifications for a flying job?

furoner
4th Sep 2012, 19:15
The son of a Spanish friend has a CPL and an ALTP with, I think, just 300 hours. Does he stand a chance of getting a job anywhere and if not what is the best way forward for him. A major disadvantage for him is, I admit, his language skills; Spanish and as he calls it, technical English. Has he a chance?

screwit
4th Sep 2012, 22:32
is he rich? you got your answer...:}:}

redsnail
5th Sep 2012, 09:26
Improving his English will help in the long run. If he hasn't got anything else better to do, working in an English pub for a month will help his English skills, (not to mention customer skills etc).

With 300 hours, has he got a chance? It depends. If he's all set on a shiny jet and that's all, then in all honesty, no. Definitely not in this market.
If he's prepared to travel and accept a smaller aircraft, then he does have a chance. But, he's going to have to get off his back side and look. Research online is a start.

One option would be to work for an FBO (Fixed Base Operator) and make some contacts.

Sagit89
5th Sep 2012, 09:52
I disagree with the above statement. Saying that he has no chance of landing an airline job is just wrong. Of course it is hard and crucially depends on luck, but I know a number of people who got their FO jobs (or SOs in rare cases) just after getting fATPL with 200+ hours. For ones it took 4-6 months for others a year and A LOT of luck... seriously. Especially the job with Small Planet Airlines where the payment is close to 0 for the first year.

But again why not invest 4k euro or so into a Flight Instructor Licence? You will learn more during instructing than you have ever during an fATPL course.

screwit
5th Sep 2012, 10:25
You have job sagit, 89?

redsnail
5th Sep 2012, 10:44
I don't think so judging by some of Sagit's posts.

I didn't say he had no chance, I said that if he's pinning ALL of his hopes on a jet job, then in all likelihood, it won't happen (with 300 hours) and as the OP is talking about Spain, then that's what I was referencing it to. For sure, if the OP's friends son shells out another £30K but that's not what he was asking.

I am starting at FTE in October and here are some points why: Posted in this thread (http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/489117-self-sponsored-training-ctc-fte.html#post7266133)

Of course I may be wrong and this caveat "As these are anonymous forums the origins of the contributions may be opposite to what may be apparent. In fact the press may use it, or the unscrupulous, or sciolists*, to elicit certain reactions." may be applicable.