PDA

View Full Version : SKYPE Question

ExSp33db1rd
4th Sep 2012, 08:01
Why can't I send SMS Text messages from SKYPE !

I have SKYPE credit, and can make phone calls without a problem, the SMS message indicates that it has been sent, but it doesn't arrive.

I use a local VOIP sometimes - a sort of local SKYPE - and that works fine.

bonzaman
4th Sep 2012, 23:37
Have you checked your settings for SMS. Go to Tools, Options.

ExSp33db1rd
5th Sep 2012, 00:06
Been there, done that - a few times ! - but thank you.

I type the message, "send SMS " get a message confirming that the SMS message has been sent - and a copy of the message - but it never arrives on the mobile that I've specified.

'tis a puzzlement.

Later .... scrutiny of some of the comments on the Google help forums shows that I'm not alone, sending text SMS messages with SKYPE appears to be a disaster in many areas. Funny that, the ,local, NZ based Poor Man's Skype VOIP service that I can access in New Zealand can handle it OK.

Milo Minderbinder
5th Sep 2012, 08:25
have you tried using international dialing format?

eg +(country code) before the number?

ExSp33db1rd
6th Sep 2012, 10:22
International Dialling Format ...

No, but the dial pad shows a flag of the country I'm dialling, so I presume that bit is taken care of?

So far I've only played with SMS text in New Zealand, where I live, and the dial pad - to type in the number - has the NZ flag at the top,so I don't then put 64 in front of the number, and I can make voice calls OK to both landlines and cellphones, it's just the SMS ones that don't get through.

A friend has suggested that my Virus protection software is causing the problem, so I'll see if I can get some clue there.

mad_jock
6th Sep 2012, 11:05
Some countrys won't let skype txts through.

Also as well you need to have it linked to a number in some set ups.

The the txt appears on the phone as if its been sent by a mobile and folk can reply to the number and it arrives to your phone.

Bushfiva
6th Sep 2012, 12:50
NZ: are you sending to Telecom? It blocks SMS that appear to come from an international service (e.g. Skype) but has a local phone number.

Milo Minderbinder
6th Sep 2012, 17:32
"No, but the dial pad shows a flag of the country I'm dialling, so I presume that bit is taken care of?"

not neccesarily
it depends on just how they route it - I've had times when I've had to put the UK code in front of a text, even though I'm in the UK

rans6andrew
7th Sep 2012, 08:52
Are you sure that it is not getting through?

Last week Er-indoors sent a text to my UK registered mobile, from Skype, while she was in the UK and I was in Spain. It came through in a few minutes. My return text, from my mobile to her UK registered mobile took 28 hours. In the meantime I was getting much textual grief for my lack of response.

Could just be a bit of delay in the system, I have seen this several times across multiple networks.

Rans6...

OFSO
7th Sep 2012, 16:09
My return text, from my mobile to her UK registered mobile took 28 hours.

A slight fred drift here but Thursday evening last week (and also here in Spain) I sent an SMS to a friend, no reply, Friday afternoon went round to accuse him of not responding, "no, never received it...." that same evening about nine p.m. text from him to say "your message just arrived".....

Very slow electrons that day. Would have been quicker to send Mrs OFSO with a forked stick, we only live about 6 miles apart.

ExSp33db1rd
7th Sep 2012, 22:10
NZ: are you sending to Telecom?

Sometimes, also to Vodaphone numbers and 2Degrees numbers.

Skype have a note that they will try for 24 hrs. before giving up, but it's days since I last tried a test, and yes, I've also registered my own mobile number as requested so that recipients ( or intended recipients ! ) know who to reply to.

The local alternative VOIP company text service works fine, except that they don't use a registered number for a reply, so recipients ( and yes, they do ) don't know how to reply, and I have to add my own number, which is tedious, and if they use the number shown as the sender it goes back to the provider and they send a message to me via their website that I have to access - ease of communications ? I don't think so!

I'm giving up on Skype text service, and giving down to the Supermarket to buy two coconut shells and a long ball of string - or, I'll stick with voice style telephone useage -as God intended, can't understand most of the text messages I receive anyway, unless I can grab a passing 5 year old to decipher them !

but ......... thanks for all the suggestions.

Cheers,

ExS.

Milo Minderbinder
7th Sep 2012, 23:30
Try VoipCheap
works well for me (though I'm in the UK). Never any problems sending texts

I use the UK version, but there is an "international" version as well

VoIPCheap | Free Calls from the UK (http://www.voipcheap.co.uk/)

Make affordable (even free) calls to phones worldwide - VoipCheap (http://www.voipcheap.com/)

has the advantage of (now) being SIP compatible - unlike Skype

ExSp33db1rd
8th Sep 2012, 01:40
Milo,

Thanks, I've played with VOIPCheap and still have an NZ account with them - they offer 90 days totally free service after each top of the account, but texts are not guaranteed, sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

A NZ VOIP service is called 2talk, and that works well, but I had trouble using it when not in NZ, which is why I tried Skype and realised that all wasn't as advertised, maybe it's simple finger trouble on my part, but I haven't solved it yet.