PDA

View Full Version : ADSL2+

BOAC
4th Sep 2012, 07:19
My exchange is finally getting the 'upgrade' (scheduled for 1800 tonight). What this actually means for our 'long liners' I don't know, but the query is:

What happens to Unbundled services? Will the equipment (TalkTalk and Sky) be able to handle the new service or will it only be BT customers who 'benefit' from the upgrade?

mixture
4th Sep 2012, 07:28
What this actually means for our 'long liners' I don't know

For true 'long liners', it means nothing... you're stuffed anyway as you are already operating at the margins of what the technology supports. Infact the speed/distance drop off is potentially steeper on ADSL 2+ than on standard. Its greatest benefit is for those sitting near the exchange who already get a decent ADSL service, it gets them faster speeds.

What happens to Unbundled services? Will the equipment (TalkTalk and Sky) be able to handle the new service or will it only be BT customers who 'benefit' from the upgrade?

LLU is LLU.

Operators just rent the last-mile copper from BT. What happens with the service is down to them because its their kit at the exchange. That's the whole point, and the whole benefit of LLU, is that you escape BT's ghastly oversubscribed network.

Chances are your LLU operator will support ADSL2+....its probably just a software update or config change on their kit.

BOAC
4th Sep 2012, 07:42
Are they likely to do the 'upgrade' at the same time? I have had no info from my ISP (TalkTalk 'reseller')

Re the 'long lines' - I was interested to see that Zen withdrew their warning to users about 2+ on 4km+ a while back.

mixture
4th Sep 2012, 08:33
I had a spreadsheet somewhere of TalkTalk exchange capabilities and roll-outs, let me see if I can dig it up.

BOAC
4th Sep 2012, 09:58
Thanks - I spoke to my ISP (who resell TT) and they tell me TT LLU is ADSL2+ capable without mods, and that they reckon I should see some improvement (c 4km).

mixture
4th Sep 2012, 12:01
Coincides with what a little birdie told me that TalkTalk have ADSL2 coverage at 93% of their exchanges.