PDA

View Full Version : PDF question

Hobo
4th Sep 2012, 06:31
How can I open several PDF files at once?

If I have one open and I try to open another, I get a window saying 'Adobe Acrobat has stopped working' and when I cancel the warning the file that is open closes.

green granite
4th Sep 2012, 06:57
Try installing Foxit reader, (http://www.foxitsoftware.com/Secure_PDF_Reader/) it opens multiple documents using tabs.

You'll need to set it as the default PDF reader as well.

mixture
4th Sep 2012, 07:38
Hobo,

Sounds like you're running short on RAM ....time for a few extra chips perhaps ?

Hobo
4th Sep 2012, 16:46
Thanks for the replies so far. I don't think it's RAM, mixture, it happens with two 115KB PDF's...

Tableview
4th Sep 2012, 17:24
For what it's worth, I am using Win7 and Adobe Reader 9.5.0 and don't have this problem, I often open multiple documents.

EEngr
5th Sep 2012, 02:42
Hmm. I'm not sure how Adobe Reader works on Windows. On Linux, an attempt to open a second Adobe Reader instance opens a second tab under the 'Window' menu in the existing Reader instance. I can toggle back and forth between the two documents, tile them or cascade them within one Reader window.

obgraham
5th Sep 2012, 03:35
I typically have up to a dozen pdf's open at a time, each in its own window. No problem.

Try deleting your Adobe Reader, and all its components, then re-installing a new copy. Then stop the automatic updater, which has bunged up my Reader more than once.

Milo Minderbinder
5th Sep 2012, 08:28
I'd go with the suggestion of lack of RAM as a first place too look
Probably too many other programs running in background for the machine to handle. The size of the files is only part of the issue - what else is running also matters