PDA

View Full Version : Singapore Airlines to NZ - opinions?

rgsaero
3rd Sep 2012, 17:44
Since 1983 I've done London Auckland or Christchurch about 23 times, and all but once on Air NZ. Now, retired, and going again cost is an increasing concern. For March next year Air NZ fares booked now are about 25% ahead of what they were at this time last year for the trip.

So I see that Singapore is 20% below Air NZ, and goes direct ChC, avoiding the stop in AKL but with a flight change in Singapore. I have no experience of the airline so some pointers would be helpful with regard to reliability, baggage loss during flight change etc etc.

Any experience out there would be much appreciated

Businesstraveller
3rd Sep 2012, 20:20
Only flown with them a few times and always between London/Singapore, but my experience has been excellent with SQ. All Y class flights on A380s/B777s. Particulars:

Ground handling - polite, efficient, helpful. No problems to report, but I've not had dealings with contracted handling agents at airports other than Changi.

In-flight accommodation - Good seats, particularly on the refurbished B777 and good amenities. I found it well worth paying to select an emergency exit row seat before check-in for the extra leg room - I'm over 6ft tall.

In-flight catering - Decent meal selection including drinks. As many snacks and drinks (alcoholic or otherwise) as you desire throughout the flight.

In-flight entertainment - Larger IFE screens than I've had when travelling F class with Swiss and Thai. Selection of films/tv programmes that I've not seen equalled in Y class.

Overall I'd be prepared to pay a premium to flight SQ, so if you can get them cheaper then go for it. They do offer promotions from time to time though, so perhaps that's why they're cheaper at present. Hopefully others with experience of the route you're travelling will be able to offer something specific on that.

Andy_S
4th Sep 2012, 07:23
Of all the airlines I've flown with in recent years, Singapore are probably the best, all things considered. I'd agree with Businesstravellers comments, above, and also add that I was impressed with the cabin crew.

I flew LHR – SIN – DPS and back with them a few years ago, and all flights operated on time. No problems with luggage, in fact my bags made it into the connecting flight to DPS outbound despite a tight connection and the connecting flight departing from a different terminal.

If you fly on the A380, I'd recommend the upper deck.

Changhi is also a first class airport, and transferring between flights is pretty painless.

Good luck.

RevMan2
4th Sep 2012, 12:24
Have you considered Emirates?
I flew them FRA-DXB-AKL last month and was impressed no end (Business, mind you, but the seamlessness of the experience was a positive)
They fly to CHC via DXB and BKK (with a change of aircraft in each case) plus a transit in SYD and appears to be significantly cheaper that their LHR-DXB-(SYD)-AKL routing.

AGPwallah
4th Sep 2012, 13:27
Over the last several years have flown to and from Oz/S E Asia on Qantas, BA, AF, Emirates, Qatar and Singapore.

Earlier this year flew LHR-SIN-PER (A380/B777) and then DPS-SIN-LHR (B777/A380) on SQ and would endorse everything that Businesstraveller and Andy_S have said, except can't comment on upper deck on A380, but would say that Singapore were the best.

Enjoy your travels!

AGP

rgsaero
4th Sep 2012, 14:46
Many thanks one and all!

Decision in a couple of days!

Mr Mac
4th Sep 2012, 17:16
Would agree with all points made above. Reguler user on both EK and SQ to Far East through Manchester all Business Class. Only downside I have had recently on this route with SQ is that the 777 they use are not as new as those used by EK and you stop in Munich. On the other hand Singapore is a better run airport IMHO than DXB, so you pays your money and takes your choice. I will continue to fly with both of them on both company money, and my own, and can say no more than that !. :ok:

rgsaero
5th Sep 2012, 14:38
* Interesting research this has been, and thanks to those who’ve contributed.

The attractions of Emirates and Singapore are more than outweighed by the stopover times. SQ is fine on the way out but a stop of over seven hours is required on the return. That’s not fun! Further, all require a change of flight which offer the potential of missing the connection and/or the baggage not transferring properly, causing major disruption at the destination (especially when you are staying remote from the destination city and need the bag contents to do what you went to do!)

In the final analysis, even with the additional stop (AKL) the round trip offer by Air NZ, even at about 8% more is the best deal. One stays in the same a/c at Hong Kong with a leisurely transfer to domestic at AKL and checking in for the return domestic transfer at CHC for the international flight from AKL means you won’t miss that either!

I’ve come to the conclusion that that I’ll stay with them! It’ll be 29 years since I first did the route, though then it was only available via Los Angeles (and what a hell hole that was back then.)

The crews are very good too!

Andy_S
5th Sep 2012, 15:40
Obviously you’ve thought this through, and it’s your choice.

However, (unless I’m being thick) one of your objections to SQ is that there is a change of plane in Singapore. But if I’ve understood you correctly, you have a change of plane in Auckland with Air NZ. So what’s the difference? You still have the same risk of lost bags and missed connections……

You say that you can check in at Christchurch for the international return leg at Auckland; if by that you mean you get boarding cards for both legs of the return flight you’ll be able to do the same with SQ….

Fair point about the layover at Singapore on the way back, but Changi is probably the best airport in the world in terms of providing ways for you to pass the time between flights. Movies, swimming pools, foot spas, gardens and more are available free of charge. In fact for a 7 hour layover you’ll be able to take a complimentary city tour……

rgsaero
5th Sep 2012, 16:53
Andy_S

You're nearly right but.....

A change of aeroplane in Singapore means they transfer the bag with the potential for misroute; if it gets lost it's in Singapore (or perhaps anywhere on earth!), a long way from the destination country with potential communication problems if lost.!

With Air NZ, I have to collect the bagat AKL, (which has been on the same a/c since LHR), clear customs, biosecurity, health etc and then check into a domestic flight. If they lose it, it's in Auckland (or London) and not hard to get it where I'm going on south island.

The other downside (beyond seven hours heelkicking) with the SQ return is that the ChC departure is at 11.55 which would almost certainly mean I would have to overnight in ChC before departure, and I'm afreaid that ChC is not a very exciting place now the CBD and almost all of the city's proper hospitality outlets have been destroyed or demolished.

Thanks again though...!

PS - Re the potential city tour - I did that a few years ago en route back from Oz, and while it was interesting I was saddened as I couldn't find the things I remembered from my earlier six week stay in 1951 as they had all been knocked down apart from Raffles Hotel. And yes, I flew there in '51!!!!

Mr Mac
5th Sep 2012, 16:57
Rgsaero
I can understand your unwillingness to have a 7hr stop in Singapore (have a 5hr wait in Saigon coming up in Dec) although, as has been posted, Singapore is not a bad place to stop. Re bags, have not had issue always have carry on, although on trips with Mrs M have had hold luggage / could be cargo :ouch:, and have had not had issues with the carriers mentioned (this has included fishing rods in traveling tubes). Tightslot (site MOD) always bulls up ANZ but I have not had chance to use them due to my home and their routes, but would respect his judjment. Have a good trip and tight lines with those large Rainbows if you get the chance !.;)

TightSlot
7th Sep 2012, 00:01
Hope you don't mind if I clarify something. I try not to "bull up" NZ largely because they are my employer and it wouldn't be appropriate for me to use PPRuNe in that way. That's why I try to stay away from discussions such as on this thread, even though doing so breaks my little heart :{

If asked a direct or a neutral question I'll offer an opinion or try and help, but otherwise it's best if I sit it out.

(Even though we're really the best! :O)

Mr Mac
8th Sep 2012, 06:51
Tightslot
No offence ment, and your impartiality is beyond reproach:D.May try NZ on LAX flight early next year to see how good "the best" is :ok:.

TightSlot
8th Sep 2012, 17:03
...No offence ment
And none taken my Dear Old Thing.