PDA

View Full Version : Conversion for flying in Europe

outbacktourer
3rd Sep 2012, 08:07
Just interested in what is required to gain employment in europe (particularly spain)

If i've got the hour requirements, CASA CPL + ATPL - what is the next course to work in europe?

Surely I won't require Spanish/JAA CPL Theory passes? what about ATPL?

Basically I'd like to in 5yrs time live in europe for a bit, just want to look into what is required for me to convert so I can both stay current and also gain employment.

Pontius
3rd Sep 2012, 09:00
You'll also need the right to work within the EU. In the past sponsorship has been available but there's certainly enough unemployed ATPLs wandering around Europe that sponsorship is no longer required.

You're going to have to give it a few months and then see what happens with all the EASA nonsense. Supposedly you'll be able to get an EASA licence and this will be valid in all contracting states. The reality, with individual 'differences' being filed may well mean something different.

Oktas8
3rd Sep 2012, 09:22
LASORS (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/srg_lts_LASORS%202010%20Bookmarked.pdf) is a good summary of EASA licensing rules. It is slightly out of date but still valid enough for reference I think. Section D paragraph D1.5 refers to your situation if I understand correctly.

Basically:

Absolutely none of your existing qualifications will be recognised. Bite that bullet now. On the plus side, any EASA country will recognise most qualifications from any other EASA country, so don't worry about Spain vs France vs UK etc. Do the conversion where it's best for you.
To get all the theory exams out of the way, do the full 650 hour theory training requirements at an approved school, and pass all 14 exams. Some schools offer most of this by distance learning.
Do some training to pass an EASA CPL flight test in a complex aircraft (e.g. light twin);
Do the flight test;
Do the required training to pass an EASA IR (from memory, about 15 hours, some of which can be in an approved simulator);
Do the IR flight test, which must begin or end in EASA airspace;
Congratulations!

Regarding theory, note that the CPL theory exams and the IR theory exams are both merely a subset of the ATPL exams, so 99% of wannabees just do the ATPL exams up front and get it all out of the way.

While of course you'll want to shop around, but if you're still keen, CTC in New Zealand can give you some advice to get you started.

Good luck,
O8

Stallion85
3rd Sep 2012, 16:29
Don`t do it in Germany, cause you have to do all 14 theory exams in 3 consecutive days!

Here is the EASA link: EASA Flight Standards: FAQs (http://easa.europa.eu/flightstandards/faq.html#thirdcountryconversion)

grrowler
3rd Sep 2012, 19:54
Last time I checked there was a company in WA that does all the atpl stuff inc exams.