PDA

View Full Version : tablet crossbar woes

mike-wsm
2nd Sep 2012, 17:11
I use an android tablet, mid with gingerbread. On some sites the screen comes up with a crossbar which obscures the page. Sometimes the crossbar has an x which I can dab (with difficulty), sometimes dabbing a void will remove it, but often the bar just stays put. Scrolling quickly will lose it momentarily but then it slides back again.

Is there a surefire way to kill bars? Or a setting? Please. Thanks!

Milo Minderbinder
2nd Sep 2012, 18:53
I'm having difficulty visualising this.
Presumably this "crossbar" is the top of an interactive window, like a text input box? Or some kind of popup window? What does it say in it?

mike-wsm
4th Sep 2012, 11:31
http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q594/mike-wsm/pprune/9c375307.jpg

Hi Milo,

This is an example, known to at least one regular contributor. The bar carries useful contact information and as you scroll, follows but then slides back to centre screen. Happens on some sites but not all. Sometimes there is a click-to-remove.

Thanks,
Mike

le Pingouin
4th Sep 2012, 12:54
On that particular web site the offending bar is actually the footer. Clearly the browser isn't displaying it properly so which one are you using?

mike-wsm
4th Sep 2012, 15:39
Thanks, Pingouin, that would explain it. I'm using an mid 7" tablet running linux-android-gingerbread with browser as supplied by mid, presumably google. I'll try an alternative browser and see if that helps.
Good winds,
Mike

le Pingouin
4th Sep 2012, 16:33
FWIW on my 10" tablet running Ice Cream Sandwich it displays correctly in the stock browser. Dolphin or Firefox perhaps for you?

My bum is firmly planted in a comfy chair on the ground, but thanks for the thought :)

mike-wsm
4th Sep 2012, 17:58
Aha! That helped. I tried it in portrait with/without zoom and it is definitely footer.

That may be enough of a fix for the few times it happens, for example only one page on this site.

Thanks,
Mike

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q594/mike-wsm/pprune/5e8b166e.jpg

ps "good winds" is a kite-flyer's greeting, in our case a wish to have a nice smooth west wind coming in off the sea, like today.:cool:

mike-wsm
4th Sep 2012, 19:00
Tried Opera and found some more weird behaviour, the footer bar scrolls with the page and then jumps to the bottom of the window. Meanwhile the Opera toolbar is across the top. So the available screen is just a slot, nice and wide but not very high.

Portrait is ok, the footer bar stays at the bottom of the page.

I recall trying various browsers and losing real estate. The stock one is much better because the toolbar auto-hides.