PDA

View Full Version : Career suggestions

560_Flyer
1st Sep 2012, 22:11
A little bit of advice from you fellow aviators.

Long story short:
Relatively young FO (30 ish), small midsize business jet rated.
Currently working for operator A, pretty well established in the area, 1 hr drive from home. Good pay, roster non existent but possibility to arrange days off if required.
"Small" problem: big economical troubles now, salaries late, decreasing fleet (but small midsize being safe at the moment), possibility to go bust in not so distant future?. Possibility to get help from the state in term of salary integration in case of bankruptcy for 1 or 2 years.

Very good chance to enter operator B, same type, foreign operator, with base 15 min from home, fast growing company. No chance of career though.
Low salary, 30/35% less than A, lower contributions to pension, but good roster, slightly more hours of flight. Economical situation seems pretty decent, but management less inclined to accomodate crews "needs".

Feel free to give your suggestions. To stay put in A or jump to B?

Klimax
3rd Sep 2012, 09:56
If you've been otherwise happy with your current outfit and they've treated you well - better the devil you know - stay - while you keep looking for something that is similair to your current contract conditions but providing the job security that you are looking for.

Also you mention no chance of career with B, meaning you would also be leaving B in say maybe 2 years from now to upgrade..

Stay with A.

Good luck

Genghis the Engineer
3rd Sep 2012, 10:01
In my experience any company that starts paying salaries late is on the way out.

If it does go tits-up, then a lot of people with similar qualifications to yours will be applying for jobs at B, but they probably will have command experience that you lack, and be more employable.

If I were you, I'd apply for a job at B, take the short term hit in T&C, but the security of being employed when A almost certainly goes to the wall.

If it's a growing company and you go in as a reasonably experienced FO I can't see why there's no chance of a career there?

G

Globalstream
3rd Sep 2012, 12:14
Oh dear. Another day in the wild, grubby world of corporate aviation. As Ghengis said, late salaries are a bad sign. They are also totally unacceptable. Either your client`s on time payments are being floated to pay other invoices or they did not plan for a reduced or late income. In either case, their business is operating at your expense (and presumably others`) rather than good stewardship.

Ask yourself this question- is that a company who cares about your predicament or future and is it likely that level of business acumen is going to see it through an indefinite period of razor thin margins.

When a client is late, or it becomes apparent to a business that it will be late with payments, it`s time for a fundamental look at the business and consideration of employees and creditors. That`s not to say it`s time to wind up, but it`s time to reevaluate. In any case, the good will of most of those involved will be paramount and giving notice and information precludes having to post on public forums for advice!

Good luck, I`ve been there and it`s not fun.

Moonwalker
3rd Sep 2012, 19:55
"Ride the wave until it looks like it will break - and meanwhile keep looking for the next one"

As someone already mentioned, the signs are already there. Late payments are always a sign and if it's happened for 2 months or more then its evident. It's better to work for a company with steady cash flow, a bit lower salary than irregular cash flow and flashy contract.

560_Flyer
3rd Sep 2012, 22:16
First of all thank you all for the suggestions, I really appreciate.

I personally have been treated fairly well so far to be honest, but unfortunately the same cannot be said for some other colleagues in operator A. It is pretty clear now to me that as long you are useful to them they will accomodate you. But the moment that the **** hits the fan (planes going out of contract or similar)... things change, very quickly also, doesnt matter how hard you worked for them.
I am being treated nice because right now they need me. In the future? I dont know.
All the evidences seem to indicate that A is not far from going tits up.
But then again, you just cannot be sure.
I am lucky enough to live in a state where there are different means of help for pilots in case of bankruptcy, but I cannot really say that staying at home doing nothing, still taking good money, while your currencies expire is the best of my hope.

Gathering more info on operator B I think I understand that we are talking about the same beast as A. Just more aggressive, more agile and modern.
But the level of "flexibility" requested to the crews would be the same.
Not a step up in term of organization or quality of operations.
Basicly the same s**t, but for a lot less money. But sure money.

On the other side I can think of B as a short term solution, while looking for the "right job", when the general situation clears up a little bit.

Putting things in perspective I consider myself lucky I even have a choice between two jobs in this moment where I see brilliant pilots not able to find one.

But still it doesnt help me to make up my mind. I am really in confusion, and the moment of the decision is pretty damn close. :\