PDA

View Full Version : M$ .net problems

BOAC
1st Sep 2012, 10:25
A while back I got over-excited and removed all versions of .net framework up to 4. I now need to have 3.5 installed to run a particular programme. The install fails. M$ advice is to start with 2 and work up. 2 will not install either - some problem with 'fusion'. What to do? Do I remove 4 and 4.5 and start from scratch?

BOAC
1st Sep 2012, 12:25
I now have 1.1 installed, but the SP will not install. I think .net is pretty high on my hate list for M$!

PhineasC
1st Sep 2012, 12:48
Which OS and service pack are you using, the .net frameworks may complementary, that is for 4 to work you need 3 installed.

BOAC
1st Sep 2012, 13:27
My apologies, Phineas - Xp SP3. I had all frameworks installed up to 4.5 and decided to dispense with the earlier ones on the (wrong) assumption that Bill would have built in 'backwards compatabilty'. Now I need 3.5 for something. Since I could not install it, I tried 1.1 (as you imply) That is ok but will not accept SP1

The question is- do I need to remove 4/4.5 and start again? If I do, what functionality will I lose - eg will M$ update still work? Will browsers still function?

PhineasC
1st Sep 2012, 13:40
Determining Which Version of the .NET Framework Is Installed (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/y549e41e.aspx)

.NET Framework Versions and Dependencies (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb822049.aspx)

I've found these but I don't know how helpful they are

BOAC
1st Sep 2012, 14:06
Interesting, thanks. It says I need only to install 3.5, but that is where "I came in":{ It still fails.

PhineasC
1st Sep 2012, 15:31
What's the error message?

Milo Minderbinder
1st Sep 2012, 16:09
BOAC

you're forgetting this thread
http://www.pprune.org/computer-internet-issues-troubleshooting/492749-updates-driving-me-mad.html

run this tool and remove all .NET versions
then runs windows update
https://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx?Redirected=true

BOAC
1st Sep 2012, 17:04
No, I had not forgotten :) - my concern was what will happen to my PC/programmes/browsers etc if I remove ALL .net installations before the updates.

Milo Minderbinder
1st Sep 2012, 17:13
Nothing

Use the fix, reboot
then run sfc /scannow from the command prompt, reboot
then reinstall .NET through windows update.
They should all work
If they still don't, and if clearing the catroot/catroot2/software distribution folders doesn't fix it, then you're heading for a rebuild of the system anyway.

Generally speaking by the time you've got where you are now, that tool is the last option before starting again with a clean system. Nothing ventured....

BOAC
2nd Sep 2012, 07:14
Appreciate the help. Milo (again). Questions:-

- I read repeatedly that .net is 'central' to the Windows OS and that programmes will use one version or another, yet removing it has no effect? I have zero understamnding of .net frameworks!

- will sfc replace a .net version on my machine if I remove all, and if so which one (SP3)?

- does catroot hold ALL updates or just .net? BTW I have separate catroot AND catroot2 folders with different subs??

Milo Minderbinder
2nd Sep 2012, 15:17
that tool will only remove versions of .NET that have been installed as updates. It won't touch the versions included in the operating system. Hence the need to remove the updates using the tool, use SFC to hopefully repair the versions included with the OS, and then update.
There is NO way to remove those versions included in the OS -all you can hope to do is repair, and if that fails then its a rebuild -or repair installation

When I say it won't affect your programs - it won't, as long as the .NET is reinstalled after. The programs won't be affected - but their ability to run maybe, hence the need to reinstall. However when you get down to it, very few non-internet routines need .NET in any form to run

As to the catroot folders theres all kinds of stuff in there - and deleting should only be done as a last resort. You need to disable BITS and Windows update services first, and then re-enable once done. You've probably got multiple iterations of then due to past system restores

BOAC
4th Sep 2012, 10:05
Update: Again, thanks to all and Milo in particular.

I found a couple of 'spare' PC hours and

I tried the CatRoot2 folder reste (NB The advice is NOT to fiddle with 'Catroot'). Had to stop ZA to get the cryptoservice to stop, but even then a rename of CatRoot2 did nothing.

Ran the remove programme (ALL VERSIONS)

I then ran CCcleaner which found pages of stuff.

Ran sfc /scannnow

Last reboot offered me 3.5 as an 'optional' install - following the link from Phineas I decided that would be enough and it installed!

A succession of SPs etc have followed and all have gone on ok.

I think a temporary sigh of relief!