PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Blue Ground Crew

Short and Sweet
6th Apr 2002, 23:40
I have a round 1 interview for Ground Crew with Virgin. This is a group interview and I was wondering if anyone could give me information on what to expect in this. I understand that they get you to do "activities". It sounds very much like the flight attendant round 1 interview.

Also is ground crew classified as checkin at Virgin or is it aircraft handlers?

As someone who has been more in the air than on the ground this is a whole new ball game to me! :eek: Help!!

jayne
7th Apr 2002, 09:14
You are in luck as I just attended a ground crew interview (known as guest services). It is not like the cabin crew interview.
Here's how it goes.

1: Get there 15 minutes early to fill out general info form.
2: Introduction: They talk about the company, Pay, training etc.
3: You get split into groups of 4 or 5 and have to say
# your name and what you do.
#why you want to work for virgin
#Something Quirky about yorself
While doing this there is someone that listens to you in your group and writes stuff down. A word of advice. If you have flown before they think you only want to get into ground staff so that you can get a cabin crew position down the track so make sure you emphasize on just wanting to do ground staff.
4: The second activity includes groups of 6 where they give you 6 pieces of paper with scenarios. You have to pretend that you are overbooked and can only let 3 people go on the flight while the other 3 miss out. There is no right or wrong answer it's just to see how you think. Eg. UM visiting her sick grandma, bussiness man, husband trying to get to hospital for birth of child, Bridesmaid to wedding, boys 21st, frequent virgin flyer. You then have to get up with your group and tell everyone which 3 you have chosen and why.
5. Question time
That's it. All over . I didn't get any feedback off anyone on this situation either so I thought I would take the time to help you out. Goodluck and if you have any questions don't hesitate to email me. Let me know how you go.
Jaynexoxo

ksd333
8th Apr 2002, 09:58
I to have VB ground interview next wednesday, would love to hear from others and compare strategies!
ps jayne, who would be your 3 pax in the senario and why?:D
how did you go by the way?

Short and Sweet
16th Apr 2002, 00:29
Jayne

Thanks for your info. It was all on the money. The interview wasn't all that bad. All the other applicants were about 25 -30 and we had a good time doing the group activities. Now just have to wait for the letter. Have you found out how you went yet?

KSD333 Don't worry about strategies. Just be friendly and outgoing. In the pax scenario when you go up on the stage to present your findings to the rest of the groups, someone in our group took the role of the customer in the first person, ie they pretended that they were that customer. Everyone else in our group and the rest just got up and said that we would/wouldn't take this person because... Her spin on it I think would probably get her remembered out of all the others. Otherwise just have fun and don't stress. Good luck. Let me know how you go and when I find out how I went I'll post it here.

ksd333
17th Apr 2002, 03:42
thank you jayne and short and sweet,
interview went well and having some prep from both of you was priceless.
good luck and i will keep you posted on my progress, please do the same.

flightbunny
17th Apr 2002, 05:53
:confused:

i have applied to dj 3 times for ground crew in sydney still no luck can any one shed some light on what they are actually looking for.

i have worked in this industry for 8 yrs have customer service experience, and all the rest but i have not heard from dj at all...

if anyone can help. maybe there is some one i can contact at dj to see if they have received my application!!!

all help appreciated thanks

jayne
19th Apr 2002, 13:52
Hey guys. I had another interview with virgin for ground crew. I know they need 25 people in BNE. I will know if I have got the job next week. Woooohooooo! Fingers crossed. I can't wait to move back to BNE.
Basically they look for people with "Virgin Flare". People who are not straight down the line, a bit daring, entertaining or just confident. It is a gamble to get through the first stage and all I can say is TRY. TRY. TRY. I know of people who have gone for virgin 4 times and they eventually got in.
If you havn't heard anything from Virgin and you have applied properly, maybe you could give them a call and ask if they received your application and if and when they are recruiting next. Honestly they are expanding rapidly and all you can do is keep trying. You WILL eventually get an interview. I sent my application through there web site over 2 months ago and only had a group interview 2 weeks ago so there is hope. Hang in there and if you need anymore advice, feel free to email me personally.
goodluck
Jayne.
P.S. has anyone else heard about their interview yet??

cabincrewboy
20th Apr 2002, 01:28
Hey guys am very interested to read your posts. It is a saturday morning now and about an hour ago i just had a phone call from Virgin Blue inviting me for a group interview on the 30th April.

Since this is my first ever airline related job interview i am both nervous and excited at the possibilities that lye ahead!! Thanks to the poeple who have posted above who have allowed me to go into the interview with more confidence knowing what the structure and so forth is.

I just hope that the recruitment people (does anyonw know who makes up the recruitment panel for ground "pit" crew???) see the Virgin Flair come out on the 30th.

Good luck to everyone that has or is having an interview with Virgin Blue. I am looking forward to the opportunity to develop this company from its adolescence into adulthood!!!

But first I have to get the position :rolleyes:

BTW Does anyone else have an interview with Virgin Blue that day?

ksd333
20th Apr 2002, 05:38
hi cabincrew boy, the team for my ground crew interview were very nice. the airport mgr from syd and a pit member plus the ground crew recruitment mgr, i cannot remember her name but she was quite nice. We had a senario to solve as a team, 6 pax wanting on the flight but only 3 seats. Who would you put on and why? No real right or wrong answer here, just looking at you and your people skills i think.
if you can forget the nerves a little it can be fun!
good luck.

OZ-FLYBOY
20th Apr 2002, 22:43
Hi, Jayne would you be able to give me your E-mail adress? I really need to contact you. my E-mail is [email protected]

jayne
21st Apr 2002, 03:46
Hi it's jayne. You just have to click on replies on the main topic page for the "ground Crew" topic and it will bring up all the people who have replied. Click on Jayne and you can email me that way.
Thanx

Short and Sweet
24th Apr 2002, 04:50
Jayne

That is great news about getting through to the next round!:cool:

How long between when you did the first group interview to when they notified you that you were through to the next round? It has been two weeks now and I am not holding my breath any longer. (my face went a disgusting shade of blue).

KSD333 any word for you yet?

jayne
24th Apr 2002, 08:39
Hey guys. I still havn't heard if I got the position. I should hear either tomorrow or friday. It's dragging out. Has to be the longest week eva. I had my final interview 2weeks after my group interview. Hang in there though. Keep checking the mail and your email. If you can't stand waiting just call them and ask. I know of people that have called and asked so you won't be the only one. Goodluck and if you are not successfull. KEEP TRYING. You ill eventually get in. what about cabin crew? I know they are recruiting BIG TIME. Let me know how you all go. I will let you know soon how I go. Fingers crossed.
jaynexoxo

ksd333
25th Apr 2002, 06:42
no news for me yet, so i guess the no letter is in the mail.
good luck jayne.;)

OZBOX
27th Apr 2002, 14:16
Jayne,

Thankyou for the information posted above regarding the "pit crew" interview. I also have an interview on the 30th of April and I think your info will be a great help on Tuesday. Have they told you what they are paying for pit crews, if so, that would be nice to know. Thanks again!!

P.S. If there is anyone else going on the 30th at 9.30am email me and let me know!!!!
:D

jayne
28th Apr 2002, 01:45
Hey guys. I still havn't heard about my last interview. Not looking good. Maybe I am getting a letter in the mail as well. You would think they would call me as I got through to the last stage but they havn't. Should definately know something by monday. Fingers crossed everyone. I HAVE to get this so I can move back to BNE. I will be soooo dissapointed if I don't.
About Pit crew. Not sure what the pay is but it's sunday now and you would already knnow. Let us know how you go. I'm glad my info has helped you all out. Nobody responded to me when I needed help so I thought I'd help you guys out. Will chat soon. Take care.
Jaynexoxoxo

flightbunny
29th Apr 2002, 02:50
hi jayne,

sorry no response when u originally posted, but thank you for being so helpful... i hope all goes well for u :).

Liski
29th Apr 2002, 05:41
Hey,

< New Guy Here >

I recently applied for Ground Crew in Sydney so I'm hoping I get an email saying that I'm up for an interview.

I applied for Cabin Crew a few months ago and now got an email this moring for the Assessment Centre in Sydney but I ain't up for Cabin Crew no more.

Jayne, any news with your job?

cabincrewboy
29th Apr 2002, 11:32
Hey all ..... well tomorrow is D or should i say DJ day for me too! :p

That first interview is upon me and i am a bit nervous .... i have not thought of what i am going to say so i am a bit disorganised but i will tell you all tomorrow night how things have gone. Maybe a bit earlier if i am unlucky :(

Thanks so much to members of this forum particularly Jayne for all your help in this matter. It is much appreciated for a first timer like myself. Best of luck for your interviews etc and to Jayne - don't give up just yet ...... you don't know what they are looking for and you may have shown Virgin Flair all the way!! :D

ksd333
30th Apr 2002, 02:09
good luck cabincrew boy,
i did a ground interview 2 weeks ago but have not heard any news yet.
the interview was very quick, just 1 hour of company info and then a group activity. your group must decide which 3 pax can fly out of the 5 booked and you all must present to the room who you chose and why. i think the focus is more on who speaks and how, rather than the choices made.
when i went the main positions were for pit crew out on the tarmac not really check in but i hear they multi train you anyway.
let us know how you go.

OZ-FLYBOY
30th Apr 2002, 08:57
Hi,
I have just completed my first DJ interview and i thought it went well. I only had a max time of 2min to talk in the whole interview. I really cant see how they chose them. We need more time. I had no PAX scenario just some "survivoir one which was fun but again i dont see what this has to do with DJ. Maybe it's about "team work". Anyway im happy with the interview and i was the youngest there so that helps me and i have 3 weeks work experience at QF. For the Querky thing , I said that i relax by going to the airport. Everyone said pretty much the same thing!

P.S.
I have to thank everyone for their tips and advice especially Jayne!

seeya

cabincrewboy
1st May 2002, 02:08
Howdy all
Just thought i would give you all a quick rundown of the interview I had at the Parkroyal yesterday.

I as well was the youngest in my group session. I am 19, but looked like it went up till about 35 years old or so. There were 15 members in total and they were all men!?!
Thought this was a bit strange but when they started explaining the purpose of the recruitment session yesterday it all made sense. Mainly they were after Pit crew for an immediate start but those who wanted to work checkin such as myself were also brought along so that if successful you can be put into a "pool" until a position comes up. :rolleyes:

As Jayne pointed out before the session, they asked us:
name, work experience, why we want to work for Virgin Blue and something Quirky about ourselves ... mainly people mentioned physical things such as height (being the tallest) or adventure sports such as rock climbing ..... I took a different approach. After watching Austin Powers the night before i told them that I am full of MOJO :D And in my opinion this MOJO is the same as Virgin Flair!! They laughed at this so that was a good sign.

Then we had the Virgin Survivor ... choosing one item each from a about 14 in order to help us survive. OZ-Flyboy you are right in that they are looking for elements of teamwork and participation in the group environment. I think i did okay in this, expressing my own opinions on what to take but taking something that the group valued more. :p

Anyway the next three weeks are upon us now to see if we make it to the next stage. Jayne have you heard anything yet about your position? ksd333 what about you? Good luck to both you and Oz-Flyboy and all those who have had interviews and await their fate.

Please keep me in thhe loop about how things go for you. ;)

ksd333
1st May 2002, 02:18
hi everyone,
got my "thanks but no thanks" letter from VB ground crew today.
the usual thank you for your time but something about there being better suited candidates on the day.
im a bit confused by the whole virgin thing, i can get through 4 interviews with 2 other airlines and be accepted by both for an f/a position (i am on active hold for both now) but i cant score past round 1 for ground crew. am i missing something here?
Oh well, believe it or not i have been invited to a VB cabin crew assesment on saturday so im NOT holding out much hope now...
GOOD LUCK to the rest of you.:rolleyes:

AirBoi
1st May 2002, 04:01
Hi.

I just wanted to know if there is a group for gay people interested in avaition, cabin crew, ground crew and so on.

If there is please email me at [email protected]

Cya

ksd333
1st May 2002, 04:47
hi airboi,
not sure about that,
but someone here will let you know if there is.
good luck.:)

stormywx
1st May 2002, 04:56
Hi ksd333,

I agree with you that Virgin recruiting seems a bit different!

I too was accepted to another airline as a FA, have 4+ years customer service experience and a CPL yet didn't make it past round 1 of Virgins Ground Crew interviews.

Maybe it is because I don't look like a male model???

Best of luck to you, I hope you find a position with someone who will value you for the person you are!

Cheers

ksd333
1st May 2002, 23:24
thanks stormy, the support is appreciated.:D

AirBoi
4th May 2002, 04:01
Nothing yet, hopefully something soon :)

jayne
5th May 2002, 04:04
Hi all. Believe it or not I still havn't heard from virgin. I called the other day and got an answering machine. It's really weird. Maybe my letter is coming in the mail real soon. Virgin recruitment is very different to the other airlines. I will never understand how they choose who they want. I know some really boring people who have got through and some real wild ones too so who knows what they are after. You would think having f/a experience that they would at least give you a second interview but the thing is they want "fresh" people who they can teach there ways to. I know this for a fact. Well, I have to go now. On a six day trip so I will definately know when I write next about Virgin. Take care.
Jaynexoxxo

OZBOX
5th May 2002, 12:31
Hey All,

I was at the VB 1st round of interviews on the 30th, I think the idea of that was to cull a certain number of people from the huge amount of people that applied. Let me just say that when you leave, no matter how you feel, there is veryu little way of knowing how youve gone and if you'll get a call back for round 2. Low and behold no more than 15 mins after leaving the Parkroyal, the mobile rings with an interview for the next morning.

Someone earlier said something about having to be a male model to get past the first round .... I'm far from it .... and its very hard to tell exactly what it is they want in an employee, but I found that they do look at confidence, experience in customer service, and an outgoing personality.

The second interview was fairly standard, they go through your resume, ask a few personal questions, why you want to work for virgin, and the rest is pretty much customer service related questions and it helps to have some experience in some tricky cust. service situations.

Ive spoken to VB on Friday and they're waiting for the results on the medical and urine test. Should hear something this week ... fingers crossed.

To all those who are still waiting for replies ... hang in there because I think they will need you pretty soon as they're doing some more expanding. Thanx again to all those who gave advice regarding the first round!

PS: Good luck to all applying for interviews and waiting for replies!

OZBOX :)

cabincrewboy
11th May 2002, 08:59
OZbox congratulations - if the results of the urine and drug tests are both happy chappy then are you being employed for which part of guest services??? "Baggage chucker/Pit Crew" or checkin?

I am still waitin to hear from Virgin Blue about my application. I wonder how much longer it will be although by this time my hopes have dwindled. Still it was good experience as it was my first ever airline interview.

How did you go Oz-Flyboy heard anything yet ... and Jayne i am still waiting to hear if you were successful too.

"To all good luck and good luck to all"

Tim

OZBOX
14th May 2002, 12:04
Hi cabincrewboy,

Thanks for the reply, I've just finished my second day of the initial training for pit crew!!! Thats right ... Im in!!! Im really excited and can't wait to get out there as there are plenty of opportunities to move within the company and plenty of fun to be had. VB really do seem to be a great bunch to work for!!!

If you still havent heard from them yet, dont worry because the rumour is that they are doing another intake for another 28 pit crew to start pretty soon ... so fingers crossed everyone ... I think VB are on the up and up!!!!

To Jayne, I really want to thank you especially, as I said before, your'e info really helped!!! ;)

OZBOX!!

MissShagwell
16th May 2002, 11:42
Hi All,

Have just heard that DJ advertised in Sydney Morning Herald on Saturday 11th May for Sydney based ground crew. Applications close on 19th May.
Apply at the Virgin Job page http://www.virginblue.com.au

Good Luck ;)

stormywx
16th May 2002, 11:55
Ad was for pitcrew.

cheers

flightbunny
17th May 2002, 00:17
i saw that ad.. do u think they would hire women to do that job??? or is it just for the boys???? i want to apply???? any one have an opinion on that??? let me know, thanks!!!

:) :D :rolleyes: :mad: :p ;) :( :confused: :eek: i just love these faces!!!!

Theo Racle
17th May 2002, 03:11
Flightbunny,

Ground crew consist of boys and girls. Generally the position includes customer service, baggage handling and marshalling duties. Its a great way to learn a lot about the workings of DJ as you will see the procedures at work from a number of different perspectives. As with all DJ staff, you need to be prepared to work (seven day stints at times during the roster I believe) but ask anyone who works there and they'll tell you that DJ are a great bunch of people to work with and that the can-do attitude is unbelieveable.

Go for it. ;)

flightbunny
17th May 2002, 09:50
thanks theo!!! i will give it a go, plus red is def my colour see :o :mad: ... do u work for dj???

let me know...or not what ever is all :cool:

jayne
17th May 2002, 21:41
hey guys! Called Virgin yesterday and apparently have to wait 4 to 6 weeks ????? Wil let you know. They are having problems taking over the old ansett check in apparently?? Chat soon. jaynexo

jayne
17th May 2002, 22:16
hey it's me again. Just wanted to say that when Vb advertise for ground staff it is for Pit crew, check in and reservations. All of these positions are held at the one interview as you get crossed trained in all 3. Also wanted to say that I am so glad that my info has helped everybody out. Congratulations on being successfull! I am hanging to know whats going on for me with virgin. I just got a transfer back to the gold coast. I am soooo happy however really keen to work for virgin. BUGGA! we missed out on the $1000 bonus that they all got. I can't even get a proper crew lunch and they get $1000. Now you understand why I want to work for virgin. They treat the staff so well. Well gota go..again. Take care, goodluck and chat soon.
jaynexoxo

flightbunny
18th May 2002, 03:47
Well i have just sent my application in for pit crew!!!! now the waiting begins!!!! i hope i am able to get an interview.. i so would love to do the job and work for dj too....

i'll keep u all posted if i get a reply...thanks :) :D :rolleyes: :eek: :p

FloatJockey
18th May 2002, 04:09
Hey Flightbunny! I applied as well few days ago. No call yet but hopefully we'll meet at the assessement day!

Are u gonna call australian tomorrow morning?

Mrs. Floatjockey

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ouch! I can't type! I cut my finger on a broken glass last night...

flightbunny
18th May 2002, 23:25
excellent mrs fj, maybe we can meet there, if i get a call...

i don't think i will go for australian they seem to want people on first intake with asian lang and the only thing i know is moshi mosi so i dont think its gonna help..

plus i need to renew first aid and rsa!!!! aghhh so many things so little time!!!!:D

hope ur finger gets better:)

jayne
7th Jun 2002, 08:18
Hi all. It's been a while since I have written. You will never believe that I still havn't heard from virgin yet. I called again last week and told them my situation and apparently somebody will be getting back to me. Obviously i don't have the job but it would be nice if they let me know. What do you think. How rude. Anyway sometime this century I will let you know the outcome. Take care.
xoxo Jayne

ksd333
9th Jun 2002, 22:17
Welcome to the real world of aviation.
poor bella 75 waited 1 year to be told via a letter that she was unsuccessful. (whenever she called her application was being processed)
unfortunately they all move at their own pace and follow their own rules, virgin included!:(