PDA

View Full Version : Another ground collision

Hotel Tango
31st Aug 2012, 13:52
No wing walkers?

(CNN)

An American Airlines charter plane carrying the Miami Dolphins home from a losing 30-13 game against the Dallas Cowboys clipped the tail of a parked plane at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport early Thursday morning, forcing both planes out of service and prolonging the team's return.

According to the Federal Aviation Administration and the airline, the incident occurred as the jet was being pushed back in the west cargo area of DFW -- a pad used for sports charters. The winglet of the Dolphins charter plane -- a Boeing 767 -- clipped the tail of an empty MD-80 aircraft, causing minor damage to the 767's winglet.

"That was the biggest hit the Dolphins had all night," quipped one commenter on CNN affiliate WPLG-TV's website.

There were no injuries and both planes were taken out of service for inspection, American Airlines spokesman Matt Miller told CNN.

American brought a replacement plane and the charter left around 4 a.m., arriving in South Florida at 7:20 a.m. Thursday.

bigjames
31st Aug 2012, 15:31
10 yard clipping penalty?

SMT Member
31st Aug 2012, 15:45
Let's have a commercial break first, then review the footage for a while before breaking for commercials again. Then we'll see ...

sb_sfo
31st Aug 2012, 15:49
when they keep it in-house.

misd-agin
31st Aug 2012, 20:49
Can we get that in 'slow motion'? How about 'super slow motion'? ;)

mini
31st Aug 2012, 23:35
They chartered a 767? how many guys are usually involved in this type of game? :sad:

avturboy
31st Aug 2012, 23:59
Reminds me of an incident I saw some years ago when working at IAD (Dulles)

A Lufthansa 747 was pushed back into the path of a UA 777 taxiing to its stand on the D terminal ... the tail of the LH collided with the wingtip of a passing UA 777 ...

The tail cone and APU of the LH 747 were taken out ... it was grounded for weeks ... must have cost a fortune ... certainly far more than the cost of a couple of wing walkers !!!

MarkerInbound
1st Sep 2012, 18:55
The Dallas Cowboys have been chartering a 757 so I doubt it's a matter of total seats, they could have been looking to get more business/first class seats. American football players due tend to be larger than average.