PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Human Factors Time of Useful Consciousness?

LongLats
31st Aug 2012, 12:41
Hey,

I have 2 texts here giving times of useful consciousness after a decompression for moderate activity and sitting quietly. They both contradict each other :ugh:

Anyone know what the exact times are as far as CASA is concerned for the ATPL Human Factors exam? Would be most appreciated if you could share them here.

Looking for FL200 to FL450.

drag king
31st Aug 2012, 13:20
Volume 13 of the Holy Bible of EASA church...not sure whether the (breathable) air is any different downunder! :E

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/6913/25244472.png

DK :confused:

Old Akro
2nd Sep 2012, 04:22
This is kind of off topic, but when I did the go2altitude hypoxia training I was declared to have 4 minutes 15 seconds of useful consciousness. This was regarded as being average or a little better than average. Experiencing useful consciousness is a very different thing than reading about it. I felt terrible and my motor skills were pretty average a long time before the 4 min 15 sec. My ability to fly an aeroplane would have been badly deteriorated before then However at 4 min 15 sec I was still conscious and had a reasonable amount of insight in my diminished ability. The limit of useful consciousness is a very blurred grey line and varies person to person significantly.

Hypoxia training is no longer a requirement. But I'd encourage anyone flying in the Flight Levels to do it.

QJB
2nd Sep 2012, 10:18
Glad someone else is having this issue as well. There are also practice exam questions that ask about FL220 etc. Would be good if CASA provided a reference table in the syllabus or something similar.