PDA

View Full Version : Norman Aircraft Company NAC-1

All-The-Nines
31st Aug 2012, 10:19
I reently flew in to Bembridge (Isle of Wight) and spotted G-NACA and G-NACI parked next to each other, to my eye they looked identical. I wasn't even sure what they were at first, but upon looking up the registrations when I got home I realised that they are actually quite rare.

According to G-INFO, G-NACA is a NAC-2 Freelance (serial 2001) and G-NACI is a NAC-1 Freelance (serial NAC 001). I've managed to trace the fact that G-NACI was initially G-AXFB, a BN3 Nymph which was De-Registered and re-built as G-NACI according to the CAA register records.

I'm just a bit confused! I understand how the NAC-1 was a continuation of the BN3 Nymph following the demise of Britten-Norman, so what on earth was the NAC-2? I can't find any reference online to the NAC-2. I thought perhaps that the NAC-2 was just a modified NAC-1, but then several sources suggest that only one BN3 was ever built (G-AXFB then re-built as G-NACI). So where does G-NACA come from?

Apologies if that's all a bit unclear, it makes sense in my own head! I'd be grateful if anyone could shed any light. If anyone's interested, I'll post the photos that I took of each aircraft when I'm home tonight.

sycamore
31st Aug 2012, 10:26
9S, `google` NDN/Norman Aircraft ....

All-The-Nines
31st Aug 2012, 10:49
I have, and it doesn't answer my questions...hence why I came here because I thought that someone might have an interest in this area.

Such as:

- What is the NAC-2? I can't find any reference to this designation on the internet.
- Why do there appear to be 2 airframes, when supposedly only ever one BN3 was built (which then became G-NACI)?
- Where did G-NACA come from, if G-NACI used to be G-AXFB before being re-built/re-named?

treadigraph
31st Aug 2012, 11:10
I think the NAC-2 was the production version - looking at images there is at least one detail difference with G-NACI (shape of rear side window), so perhaps there were other engineering differences between the NAC-1 and NAC-2?

Norman Aircraft built several more NAC-2 airframes which were never completed and stored at Coventry as I recall.

Capot
31st Aug 2012, 15:28
I took a C172, of fairly recent vintage but not new, to Bembridge in the early-mid 1960's, landed, went in and paid the fee and arranged a fuel uplift.

When I got back to the aircraft I found two men peering closely at the skin fasteners.

It was Mr B and Mr N, and they spent the next 20 minutes discussing the pros and cons of Cessna's methods, with me as a fascinated audience. They were utterly charming, and even asked for my opinion. Which I did not have, at least in that company.

The first Islander flew shortly afterwards, I think, and I have always hoped that this visit played a very tiny part in its story. But maybe they were thinking of the Nymph design, later to be the Freelance.

VictorGolf
1st Sep 2012, 17:01
There's an excellent little paperback entitled "The Last Great Adventure in British Aviation" (available from the South American bookstore)written by Derek Kay whose job was to produce the tech manuals for the BN aircraft. I've only just started it but it might give some details on the Nymph story.