PDA

View Full Version : Farewell, Empress Queen.

Moritz Suter
6th Apr 2002, 22:19
THANK GOD!

After enduring 7.5 appalling hours queuing in the frigid company of the great unwashed in order to view Her Majesty, the Empress Queen Elizabeth lying in State at the Palace of Westminster, one is now safely ensconced back in glorious, orderly Switzerland, where foreigners are summarily executed for failing to obey traffic signals.

It was, I reluctantly admit, rather moving....well at least after we shuffled past the half way mark on the Westminster Bridge....to be with the many who’d queued for so long to pay, as I did, our final respects to a truly remarkable woman. The Empress Queen was of the old style, who's values and unswerving commitment to duty and honour were borne of the Great War. She was, I think, a woman who rendered the national accolade ‘Great’ Britain, appropriate.

So few people fully appreciate that it was She alone who held the house of Windsor together after the abdication of her brother-in-law King Edward VIII, She who encouraged and emboldened her timid, retiring and stammering husband King George VI, and She about whom all subsequent successes of the House of Windsor pivot, in one way or another.

I made a special journey to London in order to pay my personal respects to this truly luminary figure in British history, and indeed it was an honour to do so. I fear, however, that her passing shall mark the release from post natal intensive care, of that dreadful bastard, Cool Britannia. Thank God She didn't live to see it grow into boyhood as surely those of us who remain must.

God Bless You, Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, Empress of India and Consort Queen to King George VI. I was never your subject, Ma’am, but have long been and shall long remain, dear Lady, an ardent admirer.

MS.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1910000/images/_1910748_queen_mother_av_315.gif

HugMonster
6th Apr 2002, 22:24
This is truly scary - a post from MS which not only is totally inoffensive, but with which I agree 100%... :eek:

I shall have to go and have a little lie-down in a darkened room until I recover. TG, can I borrow any of those remarkable medicines of yours? I feel the need...

Congratulations MS - any likelihood you can keep it up?

DX Wombat
6th Apr 2002, 23:10
Long may this truce continue!:D :D :D

Wedge
7th Apr 2002, 01:07
Moritz, you sad [email protected]

For a start, I think you must have been brought up by a family with highly questionable personal hygiene as you seem to have a complex about it. 'The great unwashed'!!! What a [email protected]!!!

I won't comment on the fact that you were stupid enough to travel all the way from your sordid little grief hole to pay your respects to someone who you never met and for some reason you have an unswerving admiration and loyalty to. I would try not to bring the QM into this as she has not been laid to rest but suffice to say I am not proud to have been her subject and I really don't see what she did that was so bloody amazing, all people seem to be able to talk about is that she visited the East End after it had been bombed in the war. What else? Get pissed on G&Ts and gamble away taxpayers' money on horses.

I for one don't like the House of Windsor so I don't see the fact that she 'kept them together' as any kind of achievement.

'Luminary figure in British History'? I think not. Winston Churchill yes, but not her.

Apologies for venting spleen on this subject before the funeral has been held.

winglit
7th Apr 2002, 01:37
Moritz, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't I read somewhere in one of your posts (The one that you had a pop at our soldiers in Afghanistan), that you were once a serving officer in the Royal Navy?

If that's true, wouldn't that make you one of her subjects?

A Comfy Chair
7th Apr 2002, 10:21
I agree with "almost" all here...

The Queen Mum was an admirable lady, who was always a tower of strength.

May she rest in peace.

Tartan Gannet
7th Apr 2002, 10:42
Yes Huggy, I found myself also in total agreement with MS for once, this is scary!

However, if this results in a truce and the cessation of invective from MS against Jet Blasters in general and yourgoodself in particular, then as we say in a certain "Gentleman's Society" so mote it be!

To those in the minority who DONT have some degree of respectful mourning for the late Queen Mother, that's your choice but I would say, your loss, not her's nor ours.

May she Rest in Peace.

Davaar
7th Apr 2002, 13:14
I'm with Moritz, Hugmonster, and Tartan on this one. Farewell to a gracious lady.

Not to detract in any way from the immense support she gave to the King, it seems that people not infrequently understate his own achievements. He is often shown as a stuttering wimp who on his own would not find his way down the street. In fact, he was often ill as a child. He attended Osborne as a naval cadet, but passed out bottom of his class. Well, he may not have been a Titan of the mind, but his illnesses may have contributed, and we may still hope in any event that a person is not judged wholly by the intellect. He went to Dartmouth and joined the RN as a midshipman. He suffered greatly from gastritis. From all that one can read, a teenaged boy who was (a) Royal and (b) named Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, did not have an easy time at either Naval academy in the years pre-World War I. What then? He was a gunnery officer (A turret or B turret: big big guns) in the battleship HMS Collingwood at the Battle of Jutland. To be a gunnery officer, he must have gone through the gunnery course given, I believe, at that time, at Whale Island, Portsmouth. Even in the mid-fifties Whale Island was a by-word for its tough regime. I can recall taking the destroyer gunnery officer's course, not at Whale Island, but at the batteries at Wembury. The wardroom was at the top of the cliffs, and the guns on the shore. There was a track from the one to the other. The only permissible transportation up and down the track was at the double. In 1917 the King joined the RNAS and qualified as a pilot in 1919. This was the sickly, stammering, gastritis-afflicted wimp who came out bottom of the class? I think the man was tempered steel through and through.

God bless the King.

Binoculars
7th Apr 2002, 13:25
Mourn? Why in anybody's name would we mourn the death of somebody 102 years old?

Well, it's true I celebrated news of her death, having wisely chosen her as a likely candidate in Death Lotto eight years ago. It's also true I mourned when I found that the old bat had hung on 48 hours too long, thereby denying me the 720 Aussie dollar jackpot (approx 2 Pounds) to a johnny-come-lately who picked Billy Wilder.

But I mean, who apart from me?

102????? Sheesh. Give me youth or give me death. :rolleyes:

Tartan Gannet
7th Apr 2002, 16:33
Yes Davaar, King George VI has I feel been greatly under-rated as a Monarch. Perhaps we will now have biographies in which he is shown in a better light, his strengths proclaimed not his weaknesses.

Apart from his poor health ,his problems I feel arose from the harsh treatment by his father, George V, who is said to have "wanted his children to be in fear of him" and who played the Roman Parent. The more robust David (Edward VIII) rejected his father's draconian lifestyle but perhaps Albert (George VI) was more heavily affected by it even into adult life. Certainly his stammer wasnt helped by the perceived wisdom of those days in forcing him to use his right hand where he was naturally left handed.

George V is often held up as a pillar of moral rectitude, especially in comparison with his own father Edward VII, and his elder brother who predeceased him, the Duke of Clarence and Avondale. He did however lack warmth, from the books I have read about him anyway, in particular towards his children. He was a selfish man, one example was his insistance that his racing yacht be destroyed after his death. A kinder man would have left it to the Nation or even for the use of the sail training organisation. I believe in an echo of her great grandfather's selfish action, Princess Anne wished that fate for the former Royal Yacht Britannia. Thankfully I feel the less deferential Government we now have must have told her to "Naff off", perhaps they suggested she pay for it herself should that have been its wasteful destiny?

George VI in contrast to his predecessor was a warm and affectionate father to his daughters by all accounts.

He stayed in London with his wife, the late Queen Mother, and his daughters when they could have escaped to the safety of Canada for the duration. Post war he had to deal with the reconstruction of Britain and the social and political changes and beginning of the dismantling of the Empire under the Attlee Labour Government.

To my mind George VI was a man of whom it can truly be said "He did his Duty"

Tricky Woo
8th Apr 2002, 11:47
Well, well, well, wonders never cease: I'd never have taken Moritz Suter for a Royalist. I thought he/she would be a Jacobite like what I am.

Anyone fancy giving me a hand setting up a guillotine on Horse Guard Parade? Tea and biscuits will be served to onlookers. Entrance free for Brits, and only a notional charge for foreign tourists.

Children and pets welcome.

TW

Rollingthunder
8th Apr 2002, 17:27
Pilots at a Lincolnshire airbase are preparing to
pay the Royal Air Force's last respects to the
Queen Mother with a ceremonial flypast after
her funeral.

Two Spitfires and the UK's only remaining
airworthy Lancaster are due to fly over the
cortege as it leaves Westminster Abbey on
Tuesday.

Crews from the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight
based at RAF Coningsby were on Monday being
briefed on their role.

Squadron Leader Paul Day, who will fly one of
the Spitfires, said the crews were preparing for
an emotional but professional mission.

Asked if he was proud to be taking part,
Squadron Leader Day replied: "Absolutely.

"You don't every day get chosen to take
part in an event of such importance."

He said he and fellow pilots Squadron Leader
Stuart Reid, who will fly the Lancaster, and
Squadron Leader Clive Rowley, were "keyed up but ready to go".

"There will be considerable emotion - it is a
professional mission, but it will be an emotional
one too.

"It's a little sad, but the late Queen Mother
was a fervent supporter of the armed forces
so this will be our tribute."

The draft plans for the flypast were drawn up
some time ago.

They were finalised in recent days, and
approved by the Queen on Saturday.

The three planes will leave RAF Coningsby
at 1150 BST and fly to Wanstead Flats,
north-east London, where they will form a
"holding pattern".

Once they receive the call that the cortege is
leaving Westminster Abbey, they will
commence their journey.

They are due to fly over the cortege as it is
half-way between Admiralty Arch and
Buckingham Palace at 1242 BST.

They will fly at a height of 1,000 feet, with the
Lancaster at the front and the two Spitfires 10
feet away at each wing tip.

The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight was
formed in 1957 in remembrance of aircrews
who have died in service.

BBC

briteandbreezy
8th Apr 2002, 18:41
[email protected]

..gettin' his knickers in a knot!!!! :eek:

Moritz......

..I agree with you entirely, but I am a little intrigued if nothing else... that as you bang on (and on and on and on) about the British public being the 'great unwashed'....

..how on earth did you manage to stand in a queue for that long.....

..I mean with no soap or water,... didn't you feel as grubby as the posts you often write??? :confused: ;) :p

ORAC
8th Apr 2002, 20:03
Wedge, for shame on venting your spleen so.

May I refer you to a post from someone castigating another poster for doing so after the death of Princess Margaret. He gave the following advice:

"It should not change your opinion but it is highly disrespectful to voice it at this particular time. Princess Margaret was not a 'thug' and though you may not agree with the establishment she was born into she deserves the same respect you would give to anyone else in death".

Who was the author of these wise words?

Someone by the name of Wedge....................

briteandbreezy
8th Apr 2002, 20:07
GO ORAC, GO ORAC, GO ORAC .......... ;)

Wedge
8th Apr 2002, 20:36
Well spotted ORAC. In fact that's why I apologised in advance because the funeral has not been held yet, I should not have aired my views until after tomorrow. I was not trying to be disrespectful to the Queen Mother, just stating my views on what others have said about her, and responding to Moritz more than anything else.

I am sorry she has died but she was 101 (and how ridiculous that one tabloid described her death as a tragedy). I will say more after the funeral, I will wait out of respect.....

ORAC
9th Apr 2002, 05:44
I just realised. MS, congratulations. Irony at last.

Moritz Suter
9th Apr 2002, 09:04
Welcome back, Mr. ORAC. :D
I've missed you terribly.

Miss Breezy,

How old are you, roughly?

Mr. Woo,

It came as no surprise to learn you have Jacobite leanings. I allowed myself a wry smile when I recalled what an important part Turf and stone dykes played in the Jacobites last stand at Culloden.

http://www.nts.org.uk/culloden.html

Your interest in the Races and intoxicated lesbians would seem to have a rather curious modern echo with Jacobite imperatives of the past, no? Oh, and by the way, I would urge caution if you seriously intend setting up anything French at Horseguards. Given the English fascination for beheadings, I rather think a blunt broadsword and balaclava singularly more appropriate.

Back to the Empress Queen, however, to all you republicans out there, are you as surprised as HMTQ, among many others in 'The Establishment' at the 24 hour queues to view her lying in state?

Personally, I thought it poignant and touching to see the 4 Royal Grandsons standing vigil for a full twenty minites at their Grandmother's casket. The funeral later today should be a State occasion to remember.

MS.

Wedge
9th Apr 2002, 10:25
Nice Wind-Up Moritz, can't believe I fell for it. It did sound a bit far fetched for you to be travelling all the way from Switzerland to queue for 7 1/2 hours.

I don't think I am the only one to be taken in though.......judging by some of the replies above........

briteandbreezy
9th Apr 2002, 14:07
My Dear Moritz......

Have you not been raised to have manners?

It is extemely rude to ask a lady her age!!

I don't usually have a problem with revealing how old/young I am to anybody,...... but on this occasion I will make an exception..... and tell you to 'mind your own bleedin' business'!!! I'm 30 years younger than my mum!!!! :p

How old are you.... roughly?? hahaha :eek: :D

PS:The years you've merely existed do not matter.... it's how many you've 'lived' that counts!! ;)

Paterbrat
9th Apr 2002, 22:31
Good heavens Morris, if indeed you did come over, and I have no reason to believe you did, though I would like to, may I offer my congratulations. An ordeal indeed
I find it surprising, but then again I do think that the Queen Mother was an extraordinary person and one who would be capable on inspiring respect in even the most unlikely amongst us.
She was in my opinion an individual who was placed by history in a position she neither desired nor wanted. Having been placed there she applied herself to become an example of duty to others above any consideration of self. It was a position in the public eye, an eye both relentless and very unforgiving.
That she managed to continue to be loved respected and admired by as many as obviously did, for as long as she did, was a great human achievement and certainly one worthy of note.
May God give her the rest that she has earned.

Tartan Gannet
9th Apr 2002, 23:26
Now wait a moment, if MS is indeed a pilot or some other form of airline worker it is quite possible that he/she DID visit London this weekend and may have thought it appropriate to pay respects to departed merit by visiting the late QM's lying in state. If so I again praise them a foreigner and one from a nation which has known no king, for their courtesy.

henry crun
10th Apr 2002, 00:45
TG, I would not praise him/her/it for ANYTHING after the, now removed, appalling anti-semitic diatribe on another thread yesterday.

The true nature of the person has been revealed, and it is a very ugly sight.

briteandbreezy
10th Apr 2002, 00:48
Ohhhhhhh Henry.....

You saying Moritz is a minger like??? ;)