PDA

View Full Version : Army Air Corp Medical requirements

Mike2001
6th Apr 2002, 21:35
I have recently requested information on becoming a pilot within the RAF, but have been told that due to SUSPECTED asthma from five years ago, I am not eligible for pilot training. Other than this one medical issue, I am in good health and do not believe there to be any other problems. Could anyone tell me whether the medical requirements for a heli pilot within the AAC are any less stringent and therefore more likely to accept me?

Thanx :confused:

mutleyfour
6th Apr 2002, 21:46
:( :(

Sorry old boy but asthma is a big no no for flying jobs in all three of the services!

You have to be clear of asthma for 4 years just to join on the ground I believe!

walla
7th Apr 2002, 12:12
Mike 2001,
There is only one thing to do.
Don't tell them, if it was only suspected and you feel 100% free well why ruin your career.
Talking from experience i was on the ground with the aac for 7 years, i was born with asthma and at the age of 18 i joined the army air corp.
I left after 7 years still with asthma and i passed every medical in the army including pilot selection.
I know pilots in the the army with slight asthma or suffered with asthma before taking their pilot selection and they are fine.
This takes a bit of common sense , if you have got bad asthma or you think you may be a danger to other people well don't do it.
But a suspected case 5 years ago, if you really want to be a pilot you will go for it.

:D :D :D

Harpooner
7th Apr 2002, 16:21
Failing that, you could always get yourself a couple of nice Polo ponies and some sort of sporting award from a fine public school.

I.N. Balance
8th Apr 2002, 21:06
I am surprised you have had any problems at all with the RAF medical. Judging by some of the SH crews I have seen, medicals cannot be taken that seriously. Obesity seems to a pre-requisite; oh yes, and an arrogant attitude... ;) :D ;)