PDA

View Full Version : JQ B787 Tech Crew

Goodfellas
30th Aug 2012, 12:47
Anticipating the arrival of the Dreamliner, what can we speculate on who will crew them?

gobbledock
30th Aug 2012, 12:49
Anticipating the arrival of the Dreamliner, what can we speculate on who will crew them?Cadets.......

goodonyamate
30th Aug 2012, 13:05
a few from the 'boys club' in oz.

the rest based overseas somewhere........

Ollie Onion
30th Aug 2012, 20:22
Hmmm, I can see the requirements now:

Wide Body Boeing experience required
Overseas Flying Experience required
Ex-Ansett time acceptable in lieu of the above

Failing finding enough from within Jetstar then Direct Entry Captains will be required as there are plenty of our mates that would like a job, :-)

teresa green
30th Aug 2012, 21:18
Anybody with the Nbr 1 to 26, and a A330 Skipper, or worked for AN!

Angle of Attack
30th Aug 2012, 21:31
A330 crew to crew them first, then offered to the 320 crew as spots come available.

Bazzamundi
30th Aug 2012, 21:41
Singapore based according to the inside info.

caneworm
30th Aug 2012, 21:47
The gig will go to the lowest bidder, pure & simple.

Condition 1
30th Aug 2012, 21:51
457 Visas?

Maisk Rotum
30th Aug 2012, 23:13
According to a recruitment person, it will not be based in OZ.

Most likely SIN and/or NZ.

Is it a coincidence that Elain cancelled 787 for the rat?

Surely a clear signal to the group that now all the new toys will go to quieter groups of girls and boys.

Mstr Caution
30th Aug 2012, 23:26
Quote : "Wide body Boeing experience required
Overseas flying experience required"

Qantas International Experience on Widebody Boeing Types need not apply.

Ollie Onion
31st Aug 2012, 00:44
Yep, no Qantas pilots to apply thanks, they will contaminate the culture :ugh::{

TheWholeEnchilada
31st Aug 2012, 01:15
Surely a clear signal to the group that now all the new toys will go to quieter groups of girls and boys.
No, it will go to the smallest group, or even better a group that does not yet exist. The play is obvious - reduce every group to below a certain critical mass and play the divide and conquer game. It is irrelevant how quiet and compliant you are, if you are in a group beyond a certain size, you can expect slow or stalled growth.
Multiple contracts, jurisdictions and seniority systems. Taking your endorsement and experience outside the "Qantas Group Franchise System" is your greatest strength.

Anthill
31st Aug 2012, 02:08
B777 and B787 are a common type rating now. I would expect that there will be pilots jumping ship from...somewhere.:eek:

TWE, I hav argued for a long time that seniority systems actually erode the T&Cs of our industry. To have portability in employment means that we are no longer permanently dependant on one employer for our careers.

What The
31st Aug 2012, 03:26
TWE, I hav argued for a long time that seniority systems actually erode the T&Cs of our industry. To have portability in employment means that we are no longer permanently dependant on one employer for our careers.

You forgot the last bit

...... for Captains

Mr.Buzzy
31st Aug 2012, 06:19
787 and 777 common type rating? Didn't they say that about 737ng and 777. The only thing in common between a 777 and a 787 is the manufacturer.

Bbbzbzbzbzbzbzbzbzbzbzbzbz

tail wheel
31st Aug 2012, 06:38
Boeing advise the 777 and 787 are a common type rating.

"The 787 shares a common type rating with the larger 777 twinjet, allowing qualified pilots to operate both models, due to related design features."

Ollie Onion
31st Aug 2012, 06:56
It is a common rating, lets see if CASA sees it that way!! I doubt they will get EBA pilots to fly it, why would they :\:\

They convinced a load of Australian based pilots to go to SIN just to get the chance to fly the A330, then announced no aircraft would be based there so ended up establishing a cheap crew base outside of OZ with a load of pilots who have tried to short cut their promotions.

If they can do that for the 330 I can assure you all our complaining pilot brothers and sisters will scratch each others eyes out to take a crap contract in some 'other' country for the chance to fly the new machine. Only OZ based chaps will be all ex-ansett mates who want to return to OZ and have to be employed due to their check and training experience. :ugh:

Transition Layer
31st Aug 2012, 07:06
Anthill

That may be true elsewhere, but I think Australia is the exception to the rule. A huge number of cashed up expat pilots (predominantly due to '89) are willing to accept less than market rates to return to Australia, simply because they can! And I don't for a second think less of anyone because of that, living in Australia is priceless to a lot of people.

A solid seniority system means that these pilots would have to join at the bottom (i.e. S/O or F/O) and therefore makes the move home less appealing. The fact they can't just come home for a DEC position on F/O wages means everyone wins in the end.

Capt Fathom
31st Aug 2012, 07:26
I'm not sure you can trust the outlets that claim cross qualification between the 777 and 787. Maybe that was Boeing's original intent!

This is from the Boeing website:

The 787 Dreamliner features a state-of-the-art flight deck that balances commonality with the latest enhancements. New technologies are integrated while still maintaining a significant amount of commonality with other Boeing airplanes, particularly the 777.

Familiar Boeing controls, displays and procedures all support shorter transition periods to the 787 from other Boeing family members, enabling efficient Mixed Fleet Flying.

zlin77
31st Aug 2012, 07:34
I believe The British C.A.A. are stamping licences as 777/787 when submitted for licence renewal by current 777 pilots.

Red Jet
31st Aug 2012, 07:54
It is a common rating, lets see if CASA sees it that way!!
According to my Aussie licence, they most certainly do! They have endorsed it with 787, even though i have only been on a guided tour of a Dreamliner. The flight deck DID look vaguely reminiscent of the trippler though.....:ok:

Bazzamundi
31st Aug 2012, 08:25
5 day transition 777 to 787. Plenty of people who have already done it. A relative of mine in the states already has completed it.

Singapore it is people. Already set in stone.

neville_nobody
31st Aug 2012, 08:45
It is a common rating, lets see if CASA sees it that way!!

CASA don't have a choice in that one.......

BPA
31st Aug 2012, 08:55
Now a few 777 pilots at VAI and their license have 777/787.

Mr.Buzzy
31st Aug 2012, 09:03
Stamp all you like. I'll eat my hat (I have eaten it plenty of other times) if anyone in Australia flies a 787 after 5 days of differences from the 777.

Bbbbzbzbzbzbzzbbzzzzzzz

Goodfellas
31st Aug 2012, 09:39
All interesting stuff. I want to fly the thing. Should I be getting my name on the seniority list ASAP or do I sit on my hands and wait to see if a separate off-shored group get it? What's the guess on the crew compliment for the proposed 'ethnic' routes (Athens/Rome) they will be introducing? Cruise FO's?

Stalins ugly Brother
31st Aug 2012, 09:43
All interesting stuff. I want to fly the thing. Should I be getting my name on the seniority list ASAP or do I sit on my hands and wait to see if a separate off-shored group get it? What's the guess on the crew compliment for the proposed 'ethnic' routes (Athens/Rome) they will be introducing? Cruise FO's?

:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh: :ugh:

And what remuneration are you expecting or would you think is acceptable for you to take up this position?

clear to land
31st Aug 2012, 10:13
As an expat Aussie, current 777 TRI, with a CASA Licence that says 777/787, unless JQ offered a package significantly better than what their 330 SIN offer was, I wouldn't consider it. But then, what would I know, I'm not ex Ansett so probably can't really fly anyway! :ugh:
FWIW though I do personally believe seniority benefits the employers over the employees as it gives a captive workforce. If the experience isn't 'in house' then there should be an option to employ outside of seniority (and I spent nearly 10 years in the RHS!).

neville_nobody
31st Aug 2012, 10:14
Stamp all you like. I'll eat my hat (I have eaten it plenty of other times) if anyone in Australia flies a 787 after 5 days of differences from the 777.

Here it is common rating.

CAO 40.1.0 Appendix IB Part 1

B777/787
BOEING 777-200 SERIES
BOEING 777-300 SERIES
BOEING 787-8 SERIES

The Green Goblin
31st Aug 2012, 10:31
No wonder Qantas canned the 787 orders.

They saw that it has 777/787 on the type rating and ran like the wind.

Can't have those twipple sevens invading the fleet by stealth :hmm:

Bazzamundi
31st Aug 2012, 11:19
Boeing 787: A Pilots Perspective (http://www.flight.org/blog/2012/06/05/boeing-787-a-pilots-perspective/)

If you still remain a sceptic Buzzy, I will pm you the first hand account I have sent to me. Not going to publish it as there are some teething issues and things some pilots actually don't like about the type as yet. I am sure as it matures these things will iron out.

Then again, nobody BASED is Australia will fly it (not in the QF JQ group anyway).

teresa green
31st Aug 2012, 21:24
Don't know about that Buzzamundi, very senior JQ pilots (read ex AN) have been told they are to expect training to start soon. And they are Australian based. Dems the facts!

Bazzamundi
31st Aug 2012, 21:35
What you get told in JQ usually differs from what you actually get.

Then again some riveting developments in the last 24 hours which will prove to be game changing. Singapore may not be the great bastion it once was.

mcgrath50
31st Aug 2012, 22:14
Singapore may not be the great bastion it once was.

Can you elaborate on this one?

Anthill
1st Sep 2012, 02:00
Stamp all you like. I'll eat my hat (I have eaten it plenty of other
times)

'Fries and a Coke with that sir? :O

All B777 pilots in Oz either have B777/B787 on their licence or can write to CASA (send $25 and a stamped, self addressed envelope..) and have it put on their licence without further training.

CASA will not doubt require that there be a certain ratio of pilots on the B787 with relevant type experience (B777) as was the case when Vaustralia started up. Remember about half of the B777 SFOs have previous jet commands-some have even been made training pilots and simulator instructors in the Virgin Group.

Here the question needs to be asked: Given that the SFOs on the B777 at VAI have had their career paths truncated by group date of joining with the VAA (domestic) pilots and that the later group are now seeking to put all VAI pilots at the bottom of the VAA list, what would tempt B777 SFO to look at B787 commands at J*? The Scoot offer certainly wasn't enough. My guess is that a few Captains would be interested too.

amos2
1st Sep 2012, 10:04
Do I suspect an anti ex Ansett pilot bias here?...

...or am I just imagining it? :=:=

kellykelpie
1st Sep 2012, 10:12
Don't you need to take those pills Amos?

teresa green
1st Sep 2012, 11:27
I am not against AN pilots, we TN blokes enjoyed their company around the joint, I just did not imagine there were so many of them, they seem to pop up all over the place. When I did my "obliquity" time OS you ran into them everywhere, they appear to breed like flies, and still they pop up everywhere, in QF,JQ and any airline you care to name OS. They appear to have amazing resilience. There must be few companies that have not be told how to do it the Ansett way, good for them.:ok:

AnQrKa
1st Sep 2012, 18:57
The 787's will not be crewed by jq or qf. QF will be crewing the 787 using drastically reduced pay levels the likes of which we have not yet seen in oz. The global economy is about to unravel and qf, like many high cost western carriers will be struggling to survive.

teresa green
1st Sep 2012, 21:34
What a happy chap you are AnQraKa. The world cannot possibly unravel, not after our esteemed PM has tied herself and us to the EU economy with her brainsnap over the carbon tax. As for the new ship, if it is going to be based here, and JQ has the guensey at the moment, then it is reasonable to expect it to be crewed by both Australian pilots and CC. As for QF, it is already struggling long haul, but like our esteemed PM, Mr Joyce has possibly found the answer by handing over the whole box and dice to the Arabs. So at the present time we downunder find ourselved hitched to a EU economy that is failing and our National Carrier at risk at being run by Sheiks, so perhaps your right to feel a little down if you are a expat.

Mstr Caution
2nd Sep 2012, 15:10
I'll go one step further & predict that JQ ops will be an A320 operation only within a few years.

AJ & Co are about the only airline executives on this planet that believe LCC can make money on long haul Widebody operations.

Air Asia X retreated from Europe & redeployed to Australia where they can make some coin from the high Aussie dollar.

Scoots a tit for tat reaction to AJ's wet dream of sending JQ wide bodies to Asia.

BB saw the writing on the wall & packed his bags for the Skin Cream industry where the customers & investors can see positive results.

Hrdlicka's just declared to the Aviation Industry at large that she'd rather be packing school lunches & stuck in the school drop off line than playing hardball in Asia.

A hook up with Emirates might force AJ to change his view as to how to run an airline with two great brands. Or is that now three airlines with two great brands, oh hold on. I missed Jetconnect make that four.

golfjet744
2nd Sep 2012, 20:17
I'll go one step further & predict that JQ ops will be an A320 operation only within a few years.

AJ & Co are about the only airline executives on this planet that believe LCC can make money on long haul Widebody operations.

Air Asia X retreated from Europe & redeployed to Australia where they can make some coin from the high Aussie dollar.

Scoots a tit for tat reaction to AJ's wet dream of sending JQ wide bodies to Asia.

BB saw the writing on the wall & packed his bags for the Skin Cream industry where the customers & investors can see positive results.

Agreed with most of that except BB was sacked. Joyce handed BBs head on a platter to the board. BB was stabbed by his mate, Joyce, and took the fall for all of Joyce's poor decisions. It gave the Irishman about 8 months to save his reputation - not his job.

AJ & co are now very aware of the limits of the jetstar model. However they will prob need something with a bigger range, than the 320, to link up Asia

Mstr Caution
3rd Sep 2012, 00:11
Rumor has it BB went behind AJ's back & spilt the beens to the board regarding the LCC long haul ops.

Problem is the LCC ops works ok in the short range flying where fuel is a lower expense as a proportion of operating costs. The issue then becomes how do you link the geographically distanced LCC business units with an operation that burns fuel at a higher proportion to operating costs.

BB had blabbed and from that point he was walking the green mile as far as AJ was concerned.

You just have to look at AJ's past performance. He's working towards a November 2nd Qantas AGM & looking to pull another rabbit out if the Ether.

He needs a plan to take to the AGM to keep his forward vision theory of growth & profitability intact. Otherwise he's joining BB on the same walk.

Captain Gidday
3rd Sep 2012, 00:51

But then, AJ & Co are about the only airline executives on this planet who believe a LCC offshoot carrier can be run without severely damaging the Host.

Why do you think BA sold their shares and exited the Board? They knew from Go what a bad move it would be. Not a bad price they sold out for, in retrospect.

blow.n.gasket
3rd Sep 2012, 01:08
You just have to look at AJ's past performance. He's working towards a November 2nd Qantas AGM & looking to pull another rabbit out of the Ether

Interesting time line and dates aligning.
Andrew Finch the new Legal Council for Qantas takes over from Brett Johnson on Nov 1st.
Andrew Finch, from Allens Arthur Robinson is the one and same behind the Qantas-British Airways merger talks and had a lot to do with the APA deal.
His forte, Mergers, Aquisitions & Take-overs.

So we have the Emirates announcement on Sept 12th and a Lawer who's expertise is mergers and take-overs coming on board at Qantas before the year ends.
No wonder the Institutional Investors are staying put for the time being.

What are the bets for a Private Equity bid to be announced when all the Fair-work Australia determinations have been handed down.
Would just before X-mas be a reasonable guess??:ooh:
Knowing Qantas Management the redundancies will be announced to inflict the most pain and suffering ,so I'm guessing just before X-mas sounds about right!