PDA

View Full Version : For those who asked

Pilot Pete
14th Jul 2001, 03:56
Can't think why, but some of you pilot types asked for an update to the 'trilogy' that has become the (I'm 'pished' now)'Pilot Pete' myth!

We exchanged contracts yesterday and move on Wednesday next week to Congleton and about time to. The drive from 'Mad Jock' land (and I mean that most sincerely folks) to Manch every few days has been taking it's toll, and even the thought of a 757 at the end of it is wearing a bit thin,(well ok, not that thin just yet!)

Line training is yet another progression up the ladder; You feel you're almost there, but you know deep down you're not yet, and you're only a couple of 'bad rides' away from re-assessment and possible 'chopping'. The one thing you know is in your favour is that the company have invested a lot of time and money in you by now so they don't want you to fail, but, if you don't make the grade.............you don't make the grade.

Drawn out as it may have been due to a lack of trainer availability the line training is excellent. The reality of line flying is there as opposed to the sim..........you're in the cruise for up to four hours and the last couple of minutes dictates how good or bad your overall assessment is. I'm up to sectors 15-16 and have only had a couple of bad landings so far, but having said that one 'punter' asked for a word with the captain, who obliged, and upon which was told that "I've flown all over the world and I can tell you that that was the worst landing I have ever experienced!". I was in earshot, still in the RHS chuckling to myself thinking 'yeah, it wasn't pretty was it!'. The captain was a gentleman and listened to the irate passenger and continually repeated 'It was a safe landing'. Needless to say, his debrief points continued onto the oppsite side of the form! We all have a bad one now and again and the important thing is to remember to listen and apply what you are debriefed on.

So, I'm back off down to Manchester (from Scotland) for the last time tomorrow(oh, oh, later today), dropping off the boys at their grand-parents, flying to Tunisia on Sunday afternoon, and Tenerife on Tuesday, leaving my poor wife Bovey to pack up and move on Tuesday and arrive on Wednesday, when hopefully life will start to slow down a little and give us back something for all the hard work that has gone in over the last few years.

As soon as we have sorted BT out in Cheshire I shall post an invite to all Wannabes and beyond to come round and christen the new gaff while there's still some summer left.

Good luck to you all, keep up the hard work.

PP

Delta Wun-Wun
14th Jul 2001, 08:44
Pete,
You can`t stop the story now.You`ll have to keep us posted right up to the end.Wish you good luck with the remaining sectors,.....and the house move!!!!
Are you coming to the Christmas Bash? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Polar_stereographic
16th Jul 2001, 10:49
PP,

You're in the wrong profession. Take up writing and spend more time at home and let me have you're job.....

Seriously (wasn't I?), rarely have I read such good, balanced and honest posts. Keep them comming when you feel the urge. I'll look forward to them.

PS

mad_jock
16th Jul 2001, 12:22
Thats dedication, leaving gods country for a land of warm flat beer and no pakora or decent chippys. And also the risk that your kids will develope a manc accent. After 2.5 years i have just managed to get back to Glasgow.

Personally i really appreciate an honest account of what really goes on. There is lots of info about getting to the IR grade but then everything else is covered in type and line training as a BTW.

Thanks

MJ

Red_Devil
17th Jul 2001, 14:03
Thanks PP

Looking forward to your next installment! :D

Si
17th Jul 2001, 16:14
More fuel for the fire, cheers PP your an inspiration to many!

Thanks again,

P.S When you said it was a bad landing what happened? Bounce it a few times?

flite idol
17th Jul 2001, 17:20
PP, great series of threads, I dont know why some passengers feel compelled to point out what we already know, God knows we were there too.! When I was new to this racket I pranged one on, (and many since) of course the same thing happend, some shell suit had to make a sarcy comment to the captain who replied "well Sir if it was that easy they`d let chimps and children do it." It took the wind out of his sails without being too rude.

Pilot Pete
22nd Jul 2001, 21:46
Thanks guys

been away for a few days......just finished the 'mother of all moves' to Congleton, closely followed today by a Man-Zakinthos, which is a fun approach!

Si - it was a main-gear, skip, other main gear, then both down together followed by nose wheel down-up-down-ON! Hmmmnnn.

flite idol - yeah, it comes from a complete lack of comprehension about what goes on. I suppose it's a testimony to our profession that the pax only ever comment on the bad ones - they're so used to good ones!

PP

Pandora
23rd Jul 2001, 13:43
PP,

no one ever gets it right all the time. Last week the captain (31 years in the airline)did a little hop, skip and jump in quite a tricky situation. The first passenger off said to him "2 good landings there, mate".

Enjoy the Northwest you lucky, lucky man. I know it's not Scotland but it could have been 10 times worse, and moved you to London.

HomerSimpson
23rd Jul 2001, 21:42
Well done Pete on your sucess so far. Just think a few more sectors and you'll be signed off. Then a few years in the Right seat and you will be challenging for the left. Then a little longer you will be pushing the chief pilot out of his chair and into retirement. And when you do can I have a job as first officer.....I'm still looking!!!

Homer :D

Eff Oh
24th Jul 2001, 02:20
Pilot Pete:- It has just dawned on me that it was YOU I met in the Manch crew room the other day! ( We had a chat about EAC.)I am one of the the other Scots confined to GLA-MAN via the M74/M6, all for a B757!!!! Leaving it all behind to drive 230 miles to work!!As you know though.....I aint movin!! :D All the best mate I am sure you will do just fine!! ;) See you in Manch.
Eff Oh. :D

Pilot Pete
24th Jul 2001, 21:36
Homer

I'd like to say 'drop me a cv' but as I'm sure you're probably aware, the Chief Pilot doesn't quite 'give me a bell' just yet when he's looking for new blood! :D Good luck anyway.

Eff

Ah, it's all becoming clear now! :rolleyes:

Ennie
25th Jul 2001, 18:56
eff oh, is that you CR?