PDA

View Full Version : 737NG Retrofit from Steel to Carbon Brakes

TheShadowEnd
29th Aug 2012, 08:39
Hi everybody,

I'm Mouhcine and i'm an internship at Moroccan National Airline Royal Air Maroc AT, and I’m in charge of studying retrofit of existing steel brakes on the 737-800 NG fleet with the carbon brakes.

Regardless to the fact that the carbon brakes are more advantageous in many ways than steel brakes (700lb weight saving, much more landings before overhaul, faster cooling ...), Royal Air Maroc has initiated working on this subject, so to decide whether it’s profitable to opt for this modification,

Since changing existing brakes is an expensive modification not related to safety, it’s not easy to make a decision regarding retrofit.

Is the fuel saving and maintenance reduction justifies an investment in buying new brakes and replacing the exiting ones? and did any airline make the step and do the retrofit, and what was the results of this retrofit.

We really appreciate any input related to this subject matter,

Thank you.

mad_jock
2nd Sep 2012, 08:18
From a pilot but also ex mechanical engineer.

Nobody will be able to tell you because they don't know what your average flight profile is.

You basically have to work out what that is first.

Then work out how much fuel you burn with the additional weight.
Work out a maint cost per landing of the brakes.

Then do a comparision between the two types of brakes and work out how long it will take for the cost savings to pay off the investment and if you are going to make it back in the time you still have the aircraft.

Dougie_diesel
2nd Sep 2012, 17:02
Good advice Jock, but I'd say the hand-in date for his degree project has been and gone ;)

mad_jock
2nd Sep 2012, 19:32
H'mm wonder why it popped up didn't look at the date.

O well.