PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Atlantic Questions...

theunknown
6th Apr 2002, 18:25
Hello there!

Hope to have an interview with Virgin soon and have a few unanswered questions in my head at the mo' so here goes...

1. How is the initial Interview Day held? (Are their exams, group exercises, what tactics should one adopt?)

2. What is in the two-to-one interview? (What type of questions do they ask, what are they looking for at this point?)

ANYTHING ELSE ABOUT THE INTERVIEW DAY YOU CAN ADD?

3. How long and where is the training held, is it paid?

4. What is the average pay P.C.M?

5. What is the lifestyle like as a crewmember at Virgin? (Company benefits etc..)

6. How many trips a month do you average as a junior? (Are these mainly bullets?)

7. How long do you get in each destination and what is the longest trip at the mo? Any new destinations coming up or any old ones coming back like Toronto/Chicago?

8. What is crewing/rostering dept like? Can you make requests?

9. How long is it before you get Airbus rated and will everybody get rated onto the A340-600 this year?

10. Are the crews sociable down route or does everybody do their own thing, is anything laid on for the crews downroute?

11. What are the rankings on board and how long does it take to go from JNR to the next ranking? Is their any fast track system for previous flyers?

12. How long is the probation period and can you take leave during this period?

13. How often are you assessed, on every flight?

Hmmm I know there is a lot above but even if you can answer just a few I’d be really grateful and feel free to add any additional info that you fee would be of assistance!

Many tanks and I look forward to your responses!

jayne
7th Apr 2002, 09:18
Are you talking about Virgin Blue based in Brisbane. If you are you can emeil me and I can give u some info.
jayne

Shadowpurser
7th Apr 2002, 11:04
When I went for my interview with Virgin Atlantic 5 years ago it was a 2 part 1 day group interview. They got you to do various tasks in groups e.g. promoting a destination by cutting stuff out of newspapers etc or building a house out of straws. While you do this you are being observed, the point of the exercise is not to see which group completes the task first or does better, but to see how individuals work within their groups to accomplish the task. They are looking for outgoing team players who work well with others and can take control if required, respect others views, use the team and their experiences to help complete the task, and involve everyone - dividing tasks among everyones to accomplish the goal. Then we did maths tests and english ones I think, after this a break for lunch and then we returned to the interview room where names were called out to go to another room. These people were the ones to make it through to the second stage which was trying on the uniform (make up time for the girls), and then going on to a panel interview in fornt of three people. Here they ask you what why you want to wotk for V.A. blah blah, why do you think you would be good blah blah, give examlpes of how you've given good service blah blah, and so on.
They asked me what I thought of the uniform (the guys one supposedly being modelled on an Armani suit), and me being me said I didn't like it!!! (battleship grey wasn't my colour!!) A stunned panel sat in front of me and needless to say got a call later saying I had been unsuccessful he he. Friend of mine has been working for them for 4 1/2 years and earns £1000 - £1300 on average most months as a junior and after attaining a in-between grade is applying for PSR now. More then that I don't know. Some of this could have changed as it was a while ago and I appologise if any of the info is inaccurate.

BUT WHAT HAPPENED TO ME? I hear you ask. Well.... I joined B.A. shorthaul at LGW and have a glittering career as a PSR.

GOOK LUCK!!!

High as a Kite
9th Apr 2002, 23:06
The initial interview is based around group exercises. It includes asking the other candidates questions, filling in crosswords and making up an advertising jingle. The interviewers are looking for teamworking skills. My advice would be don't be too quiet and equally don't try and take over. Strike a balance somewhere in the middle.

Those who are successful at this stage are then required to sit a maths test. This is followed by checking that height and weight are in proportion.

The two to one interview is based around situation questions such as give an example of good customer service and a difficult situation you have to deal with.

The training course lasts for six weeks and is based at the Virgin Flight Centre in Horley. You are paid whilst attending the course.

The pay works out at about £800 per month plus allowances. The allowances vary depending on what trips you are rostered.

Company benefits are excellent. Virgin has one of the best concessionary travel schemes. There are pension, private health insurance and life assurance schemes after a qualifying period.

The average roster includes six trips a month. Usually a mixture of one and two night stopovers.

The longest trips at the moment are five nights in Delhi and four nights in the Caribbean and Las Vegas. There are no firm plans for new routes at the moment. It is likely that Chicago and Toronto will be reinstated in the not too distant future.

The Crewing and Rostering departments get a lot of flack which is not deserved. They will help you if they can and Virgin has a unique pre-ops department who can help out on roster issues. You are entitled to request one trip a month based on seniority.

Airbus training is usually rostered around 12-18 months after your start date. We do not yet know if everybody will be trained on the A340-600 straight away.

The crews are sociable downroute. Sometimes people like to do their own thing. There is a social club who provide facilities such as crew vans, bikes and sports equipment for use downroute.

The ranks are Junior, Senior, Purser and In Flight Supervisor. At the moment it takes about 3-3.5 years for promotion from Junior to Senior. There is a fast track which is not exclusive to previous flyers. It is based on performance monitoring and attendance records.

The probation period is six months. Leave is not normally given during this period. If you have a holiday already booked the company will normally honour it however it will be unpaid.

You are assessed on every flight by the Purser. It is based on several different competencies and tick box format ranging from strongly agree to strongly disagree. There is a computer at the crew check in areas where you can find out how you are doing.

Hope this helps answer your questions. Good luck and I look forward to seeing you on line sometime soon.

wysiwyg
10th Apr 2002, 13:02
Pedantic, I know, but pre-ops departments are not exclusive to Virgin.