PDA

View Full Version : The car on your drive......

winglit
6th Apr 2002, 15:17
Using inspiration from Tricky Woo's watch thread, let's see what us prooners are driving.

And to make things interesting what would adorn your driveway if your six numbers came in followed by a seven figure cheque from Camelot.

Me, I've got an Aston Martin DB7 on my wishlist!:p

Jet II
6th Apr 2002, 15:29
Driving a Lexus at the moment :)

If I won big at vegas - a bigger Lexus:D

Skytrucker87
6th Apr 2002, 16:21
Open choice? absolutely no holds barred? then it would have to be...

A totally restored British Racing Green E-Type. NO CD player. Oh, and with a lap-top on one of those cute little pullie out things that the passengers on the Airbus flight deck have, so that I could PPRuNe whilst parked in the M25 traffic jams.

AerBabe
6th Apr 2002, 17:07
If I had that kind money I'd buy an a/c, not a car. But if forced I'd settle for an Aston Martin. Either a DB6 or a Vanquish. With my change I'd get a BRG soft-top MGB with chrome bumpers, cream leather seats, and wire wheels. Oh and a red Triumph Spitfire Mark III. Not that I've thought about it very much. :D

:eek: Better start saving!

Standard Noise
6th Apr 2002, 17:13
No point in having a sports car if it's going to be comfortable!
Anyway, buy British (there aren't many true blue British cars left), so it would have to be a Caterham Se7en for me, in BRG.
Had one before and it's bliss, and one day when the sprog is no longer a drain on resources, I will have the pleasure again.
For now I will make do with the 2.5V6 from Bavaria that the finance company thinks is theirs...

gas path
6th Apr 2002, 17:32
Well if we're talking lottery wins
I'll take a Bentley Arnage T thank you!
450 bhp / 645 ft lbs torque
168 mph
0-60 in 5.5 secs
2 tonnes in weight.

:D :D :D

Fujiflyer
6th Apr 2002, 18:23
I agree with AerBabe

Why spend your money on a car if you can have an aircraft?

I currently own a 7th share in a very nice Fuji 200 based at Shoreham. I necessarily drive an ageing VW Polo. Some of my work colleagues turn up in fairly expensive sporty cars, usually after a spell in traffic hold-ups, however if anyone wants to laugh at my mount then I do have that nice document in the brown wallet to show them. :p

Fujiflyer

brockenspectre
6th Apr 2002, 19:38
Well I have an old pointy Saab 900 light turbo and love her to pieces but in addition to the ole Snow Goose (900SE looks like goose OK and she is last of real Swedish Saabs!!!) if I were to win Lotto big-time my car(s) of choice would be:

Rolls Royce Corniche classic .. fell in love with pic of first ever made at age 10 (the Telegraph showed her in turquoise with cream leather upholstery);

the latest Audi sportster for "around town";

an ancient (vintage '50s) banana yellow e-type jag;

a Jensen Interceptor ... cos it always sounded "mean" hehehehe

and anything else that might take my fancy.

Guesss I am one of those who if they were to win the Lottery would have it change their lives immesurably!!!!!

P.S. a Gulfstream VI for travelling and a Stampe or TIger Moth for waffling around the countryside :)

Feeton Terrafirma
7th Apr 2002, 00:25
Currently I drive a Holden Special Vehicles GTS. It's probably the fastest 4 door sedan in the world.

5.7 litre alloy V8
6 speed gearbox
300 kw / 510 nm torque
270 kmh
0-100 km/h in 5.1 secs
1700 kg in weight.

And more fun than a barrel of monkey's when pushed a long a winding road. :D :D

Pix are here: http://www.quickhsv.com/vx.html

What would I have? A Porsche GT2, BMW M3, Audi SR4 and I'd keep the GTS of course

somewhatconcerned
7th Apr 2002, 01:41
I wont bore you with the car I am driving....no really it would bore you but Aerbabes post prompted me into thinking. I could never buy an a/c due to my uncontrolable urge to fly everywhere using the 'renters power setting'.
One AC I would go for would be the AC Cobra a difficult choice however as if I had that sort of money I may have to choose between that and a Ferrari Dino.

The Nut Behind The Wheel
7th Apr 2002, 04:31
I want one of those old EH Holden's the boys on "Bush Mechanics" drive- those suckers go on forever, in spite of the damage inflicted on them by their owners :D

Checkboard
7th Apr 2002, 06:45
After six and a half years Airline flying I treated myself to a flash car :D five months before the Ansett collapse, and sold it two and a half months after the Ansett collapse :(

HugMonster
7th Apr 2002, 07:50
Saab 9000 Aero 2.3t Auto
Kawasaki Zephyr ZR750

OzExpat
7th Apr 2002, 08:20
This is my current car (http://www.fototime.com/84F4C524234E9A6/standard.jpg) and this is the aircraft (http://www.fototime.com/4D9B2CC1DD923AA/standard.jpg) that I'd like to own! Some surprise huh?:D

Track
7th Apr 2002, 10:18
Got a Golf Mk III VR6 192 hp,

But it's not half as good as the Lancia Delta HF Integrale Evo II in Lagos Blue that I will drive in two years....:D :D

criticalmass
7th Apr 2002, 10:39
The current criticalmass-mover is a Toyota Landcruiser Troop Carrier HJZ75 model, 4.2 litre turbocharged diesel, done 429,000 Km with routine maintenance and a gearbox/clutch rebuild at 202,000Km. Chugs along like a small truck...which it is. We might take the lid off at about 800,000Km to make sure the pistons are still there, maybe not. See how it goes.

Only thing I could replace it with is another one.

Cuddles
7th Apr 2002, 14:22
I'm with Brockenspectre, classic Saab 900T16S. Unbelievably good in the snow, much quicker than boy racers think it is, and does not look like the 9 year old car it is. Maybe it's washing it in Dove and Oil of Olay that does it!:D

Next car - a 9-5 aero estate :- Dad racer!

Send Clowns
7th Apr 2002, 15:45
On the drive - a ten-year-old, 140,000-mile Rover 414, still going strongly (though it currenty needs a new clutch). If I won the lottery?

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/new/tuscan.gif

:D

Legalapproach
7th Apr 2002, 18:04
Mmmm turning into a bit of a Saab thread, had Saab 900 16v Turbo S for many years, superb cars but currently have tweaked 9000 2.3 t.

Lottery win? Jaguar XK but would also get a 9-5 estate.

Once read that Saab's are driven by people who wouldn't want to be seen in BMW's!

RNAV
7th Apr 2002, 18:32
Seeing as winglit said :
"six numbers came in followed by a seven figure cheque"

With all the options of course :p :

Porsche 911 Carrera 4 for the daily commute to the LHR car park !
Porsche 911 GT2 for the weekend.
Aston Martin V12 Vanquish ready and waiting in the garage incase of technical difficulties with the above.

Now, what on earth will I do with the spare change ? :rolleyes: :

I'll have one of these ............(customised with full inertial nav, CATIII autoland, TCAS etc. etc )
Raytheon KingAir 350 (http://www.raytheonaircraft.com/products/turboprops/kingair350/images/350_gallery02.jpg)

A nice house with a convenient runway on my front lawn :)

.......oh, and tricky woo ....... another Breitling please, there's a good man :D

...... oh yes, and if there's any left, I'll buy any houses owned by NIMBY's .... so they don't complain about my beautiful setup !

ORAC
7th Apr 2002, 18:45
Present car: Boxster S.

But I think I'll put my name down for a Jag F type now they've confirmed production. Should be available in 2 years:

http://www.fast-autos.net/jaguar/ftype7.jpg

Grainger
7th Apr 2002, 19:05
:confused: Surprised it hasn't been mentioned already ....

Ferrari 355

redsnail
7th Apr 2002, 19:50
A 6 year old Peugot 306 sedan. Goes all right and not too expensive to run. I also have a 400ss Ducati as well. An absolutely beautiful bike. A delight to ride. Not the paciest machine out there but certainly one of the rarest.

What would I get? Ooooooh a Ducati ST2, a 750 Monster and a pacey car from Porsche. :D

18-Wheeler
7th Apr 2002, 21:01
Hmmmm ... okay, this is where I revela my wee car fixation .... :)

Daily driver, somewhat modifed Toyota AE-86 Corolla twin cam. Approx 200hp, close ratio gearbox, lim slip diff, etc.

http://www.billzilla.org/ae86newwlz2.jpg

Additional daily driver coming along soon. Heavily modified Toyota KP-61 Starlet, approx 240hp, etc. Pic of it is where it was stock & boring.

http://www.billzilla.org/starletfront.jpg

As an additional fun road car, I'm putting together a Fraser Clubman, powered by a ~260hp Toyota two litre twin cam.

http://www.billzilla.org/mrfraser.jpg

I have three racing cars.
My current one is a home built thing, and runs to the Aussie Sports 1300 rules. Powered by a ~150hp Suzuki twin cam 1.3 litre.

http://www.billzilla.org/racerwillow.jpg

It's not quick enough, so an English Mallock Mk31 is also under way. It's under construction right now and will look like this.

http://www.billzilla.org/racer1.jpg

We're also building a Can-Am type V-8 replica, jsut for fun. Powered by a Lexus four litre quad-cam V-8.

http://www.billzilla.org/SPORTS.jpg

I also have a Toyota Corolla rally car, and that's also being heavily modified to take another Lexus V-8, Sierra 4wd gearbox, etc.

http://www.billzilla.org/rally.jpg

Also in the family is a Ford EA Falcon turbo, and a Subaru WRX turbo modified to STi specs.

Late next year, I hope to buy this -

http://www.billzilla.org/tyrellf1.jpg

- It's a 1997 Tyrell Formula One car, powered by a ~750hp V-10 3.5 litre engine.

I fly 747's to pay for all this stuff ... ;)

winglit
7th Apr 2002, 21:07
Nice picture of the Jag ORAC. Do you know if they're going to make it with a roof? I believe that was one of their problems, trying to give it a roof without distracting from it's gorgeous looks.

Perhaps it'll be something like the Lotus Elise, with a tonneau type thingy. Now that is a fun little toy, looks good too.

I've always had a penchant for fancy motors. In my youth had a couple of Porsches and a Mercedes Cosworth. But things sadly changed when the MiniWinglit came along. Mrs Winglit drives a Honda CRV and I commute to LGW in my Ford Puma. Got a bit of stick from the blokes at work when I drove up in my new "Hairdresser's" car, but it obviously designed for a fast hairdresser, cos it's a pocket rocket!

winglit
7th Apr 2002, 21:12
18 wheeler, by my calculations, that makes you 32 wheeler!

somewhatconcerned
7th Apr 2002, 22:14
I've already posted my preferences but I have a question to ask?

Can anyone out there convince me that those dopey Swatchhttp://www.marmitespider.co.uk/smileys/throwup.gif
cars shouldn't be used as target practice for female Volvo drivers?

Kilted
8th Apr 2002, 08:00
Send Clowns beat me to it - the TVR Tuscan S is just the sexiest car out there, however it would have to have some company in the mutilpe garage, so I'd also have the new Merc SL and a Vanquish. Oh, and if I can find one, a Ford GT40

Surprised no-one's followed Larry Ellison's lead towards an F15, but then, a lottery win would hardly stretch that far :( Me, I'd much rather have a B1-b, I've always loved them, but I suppose I'll have to settle for a G VI and some type of whirly thingy:D

G SXTY
8th Apr 2002, 12:09
On the drive - very old VW Jetta with a very big engine and a stealth coating of rust.

Apres 6 numbers - A BMW M5. And a 518i badge.:p

FlyingForFun
8th Apr 2002, 12:16
I drive a 1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500. And I wouldn't change it. Not even for any of the expensive sports cars that people are talking about here?

Why? Well, apart from having better things to spend the money on (like aeroplanes :D ), I don't think I can beat my car for pure enjoyment. A friend of mine owns a Lotus Elise. It's a fantastic car. A couple of years ago, we took it on the track at Castle Combe, and we could quite happily throw it into corners sideways at close to 100mph, even though the track was damp.

Now that's great on a track. But I've driven on a track twice in my life. I drive on a road several times a week. I don't want to throw my car into corners sideways at 100mph, because if I do that too often, I'll eventually get caught, fined, and lose my license.

My car, on the other hand, is perfectly happy being driven "aggressively" at 40mph! Completely legal on many roads, and a whole load of fun :D And even on straight roads, or in traffic, I enjoy just about every moment I spend in my car.

For the pure :D :D :D :D :D factor, I'll stick with what I've got thanks!

FFF
----------

The Nut Behind The Wheel
8th Apr 2002, 12:21
Hey 18 wheeler!

I reckon your premature death is not too far away with such a level of exposure to other road users:p

TowerDog
8th Apr 2002, 12:35
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with all the bells and whistles.

Not happy with it or the dealer. At lease end later this year getting something else. A station wagon of some kind.

attackattackattack
8th Apr 2002, 16:29
Another SAAB boy here, 9-5 2.3t and a Corrado VR6.

When I win on Saturday it'll be a DB7 Vantage for me :)

WeatherJinx
8th Apr 2002, 16:37
WxJx's transport of delight -

2000 Toyota MR2 Roadster Convertible w/ hard top - accelerates like a bullet, RWD so handles beautifully, looks gorgeous, ooodles of fun, love it to death...

WxJx :)

Evo7
8th Apr 2002, 16:55
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 7 .... in my dreams :rolleyes:

Fiat Punto HGT in reality. It's a choice of flying or fast(er) car, hence the Punto...

Firestorm
8th Apr 2002, 17:44
I drive a Saab 9000, and fly a Saab 340. Should I really admit that in public? But I can name others who do the same...

If I had a bottomless wallet, or a very rich wife, i would be quite contented with an Aston Martin. And a Ducati 996 Corse, with all the trick bits on.

gumbi
8th Apr 2002, 23:46
Now? A Saab 900SE convertible (1997)

If the big money came? Put me on the list for a 360 Modena, OR a 911 turbo convertible would do nice!!!1

RowleyUK
9th Apr 2002, 12:03
Got a brand new MG ZR.......but im off to meet my dealer in about 2 hrs to get my money back(hopefully)!!!

Its a good looking piece of cack i say!

Problems in 4000 miles-
[list=1]
Emptied one bottle of coolant in 1800 miles!!!
Oil leaking from Rocker Cover in 2500 miles (2 months)
Rust and bubbled paint on joint that attaches sideskirts!!!
Very poor dealer refused to initially acknowledge any of these problems!
[/list=1]

Bird Strike
9th Apr 2002, 12:14
There is no car on our driveway, unless it rains heavily and it saves us washing the car - then we take the car out of the garage and leave it on the driveway overnight. :D

We drive a boring Toyota.

The dream car would be a Merc SL or a Porsche Carrera, but then again, pity about the speed limit here... :(

WeatherJinx
9th Apr 2002, 16:45
Rowley...get your money back and get a Mister Two Roadster instead - I have not had the slightest problem with mine in 18 months.

WxJx :)

JBravo
9th Apr 2002, 17:10
Track,

I hate it. You drive a car that looks the same but is faster than mine. (Golf III GTI 16V)
But wanna bet I can still beat you to P40? hehehe

airgrunt
11th Apr 2002, 12:15
a real sleeper...a Ford Falcon , ex unmarked Highway Patrol Pusuit car, goes like **** off a shovel.
18 wheeler, your driving ability must have improved over the years with such a stable of cars, bit different from scaring the crap out of me in your old Corolla around the hills at the back of Mudgeerabah.Too many Toyotas though old son!!!:D

I. M. Esperto
11th Apr 2002, 16:25
Lexus LS 400.

Awesome car. Smooth, powerful, 0-60 in 6 sec. The quietest car I have ever been in.

There is a lot near here that carries used exotic and classic cars.
I spotted a Rolls Royce, and pretended to be interested in a trade.

Took it for a test drive with the salesman. This one had about the same mileage as my Lexus, and it simply COULD NOT COMPARE as an automobile. Relatively noisey, slower, not as much room or comfort.

ShyTorque
11th Apr 2002, 21:54
Was about to buy a Saab 9-3 recently as a Vauxhall replacement. Until I opened the bonnet and the doors and realised that under every 9-3 there lurks....a Vauxhall Vectra in disguise.

Straight six aus Deutschland instead on the drive, only 150 hp this time though.

or the people van

or the small hatchback

or the Honda 750cc moped

or the kit car, nearly built now.

No, I don't know where they all came from, they just happened...