PDA

View Full Version : LHR - YVR Air Canada

raejones
6th Apr 2002, 14:44
Hi All,

Just wondered if anybody here has experience of Air Canada's business class on the Heathrow to Vancouver 747 flight.

Comments would be much appreciated.

gofer
9th Apr 2002, 14:59
:cool:

I only go the other way - but that's also :cool:

Time to eat - watch a film and get a good nights sleep.

Don't like the idea of waking me up during the sleep - or the quantity of radiation you get a these northern latitudes - but AC is OK

Rollingthunder
13th Apr 2002, 13:53
It's a good product.
Currently operated by A340.
What do you want to know about it?

raejones
14th Apr 2002, 19:14
Hello Rollingthunder,

I was under the impression that this flight was operated on a Boeing 747 and as I've never flown on one before I'm rather looking forward to it.

My only real experience of flying long haul in business class is with Emirates , I'm guessing I've been spoilt there but I just wondered how Air Canada compared to the likes of them on long haul with regards to meal service and creature comforts etc.

Rollingthunder
15th Apr 2002, 23:14
Haven't flown Emirates so can't compare.
The service is quite good, I can't remember the last time I flew with cranky cabin crew. I do this run every two months.
Drinks right after take off. Then a dinner service. Ususally a choice of three entrees with the usual side dishes and a choice of desserts. Then cheese and port. Depending on equipment you may have an in-arm screen with six films or a Sony watchman with a larger selection of tapes. Complimentary amenity kit. Seats are quite comfortable, not full beds but serious recline and all the leg room you'll need. A light fresh snack about an hour and a half out of YVR. Flight time will run around 9, 9 1/2 hours depending on winds.

Equipment is A340-300 at the moment. Next month 747-400. In June we go to two daily flights, 744 and 763. In August 744 and A340, in Sept. two 744s a day.

Let me know your travel date and I'll verify the aircraft type.

raejones
17th Apr 2002, 10:10
I fly on Saturday 20th April (3 days time)

Thanks for all your help.

Rollingthunder
17th Apr 2002, 11:56
AC897/20 Apr is a 747-400.

Enjoy your flight. Hope the weather improves a bit.

FOMere2eternity
26th Apr 2002, 14:02
I've travelled AC quite a bit in the last few years and I advise you to find another carrier !

Their service is begrudgingly shoddy, baggage handling incompetent and the simply don't care because, quite often, they have a monpoly.

My g/f was diverted to YHZ a month or so ago and simply dumped at the airport for 24+ hrs. AC refused her request for food, accom and transport on the grounds that 'stuff like that is costing us too much'. Fortunately she had relatives in the area, otherwise she'd have been at YHZ airport for days !

I could document lots of other instances of their appalling service, but you'd get bored ! It's such a pity that the first impression people new to Canada get is of Air Canada as it's so mis-represenatational of every other Canadian.

As for regional AC - forget it - you pay gold bars for poorly-connected Dash-8 trips. I'm hoping the likes of Westjet go international soon and take on the big boys. In the mean time Canada is stuck with em - and knows it. I'd suggest going with LH or someone and connecting in FRA.

raejones
10th May 2002, 12:24
Thanks to all who replied.

I've now returned from my trip and have to say it was a very pleasant one. The return journey was not as good as the outbound but I'm only being picky now.!That said the return flight was very full and the FA's were kept very busy!

I was well looked after by the two flight crewe serving the upper cabin, very nice food and very smooth flight. Slight Technical problem with the aircraft before take off (Someone drove a baggage truck into the side of it - making a small hole - which is never a good thing!) But this was all sorted out and repaired within minimum time.

I guess you have to take as you find. Maybe I was just lucky.

Nihontraveller
17th May 2002, 09:20
I have to agree with FOMere2eternity.

I have just got home from a disasterous trip Tokyo-Frankfurt-Toronto-Tokyo with the last two legs with AC.

In Frankfurt the flight has been overbooked by AC and although I checked in 1.5 hours before the flight and had a valid ticket I was bumped and re-routed via London. Arrived in YYR some 6 hours later than I should have. (Fat lot of use my Lufthansa Star Alliance ticket was on a code-share!)

For the final leg from YYR to Tokyo the flight was already delayed by two hours when I checked in. After we boarded there was a fiasco as we were all told to exit the aircraft immediately, leaving our carry-ons on board. We finally departed 6.5 hours after the scheduled time on a replacement aircraft.

Yes, I guess the second problem could happen to any airline but after hearing numerous stories about AC during the trip I will avoid them in future.

Shabby to say the least!:(

Big_Mooney
22nd May 2002, 01:39
Used AC from Glasgow to Calgary Via Toronto in April. Couldn't get flights on days I wanted from LHR so flew a 762, and I promise I will never use AC ever again out of Glasgow. Old plane, crap food, cinema like screen 20 odd seats away, so watching a film was pointless, and worst of all, was the fact that most..Sorry All of the cabin crew were older than my mother. I know times are tough just now for airlines but come on! AC are totally taking advantage of the fact that hardly any other airline flies directly to canada.:mad:

FOMere2eternity
22nd May 2002, 11:53
AC appear to overbook flights as a matter of course (as do many others), but they're always unapologetic when stuff like that happens. Although their service suffers from regular hiccups, it's their staff's approach to the customer that always irritates me.

You may have seen my other post, where I said how they had abandoned my g/f at YHZ for over 24hrs and refused (she did ask) to pay for hotel etc. The reason for diversion was weather, which is listed as being "not AC's fault" and was compounded by their staff member saying "things like that are getting to expensive". Regular missing bags, late service, obstructive staff - the list goes on.

Worst I ever heard was when a 763 diverted to YYR and they bumped the regional pax off their Dash8 to put the 763's business pax in their seats. Regional AC often costs as much, even more than their Intl routes !! (no competition).
My friend missed a wedding and all sorts, cos AC can just get away with it. I really can't say how bad they are !

I don't think much can be done about older FA's - except to say that they should still maintain some degree of customer service even if they do look like my granny. Many don't cos they've become set in their un-energetical ways now.

My belief is if you run a bus service, start charging bus fares and people can't complain. As soon as AC makes the quantum leap and starts providing service, they might be ok. Otherwise, when another carrier moves in and cleans up, they can't complain that customer loyalty was somewhat lacking.

:eek:

right now, I think sooner the better.....sorry if you're a rare AC good guy