PDA

View Full Version : superantispyware update

green granite
27th Aug 2012, 16:17
For information

I accepted the upgrade earlier today and it's fine............until I ran CCeaner and it said there was an upgrade available so I clicked to download it and superantispyware refused to let me with the message 'Trojan agent/Kriptik process, it also blocks registry booster from running and it also claims open office is infected.

So I've now got the problem of is it true or are they false positives and how to stop them being blocked as it doesn't seem obvious :ugh:

randyrippley
27th Aug 2012, 16:32
I'd say at a guess that its a false positive
CCleaner DOES run what could be described as "cryptic processes", so my guess is that a recent SuperAntiSpyware update has bad heuristics.
However, if you want to be sure, uninstall CCleaner and then download again from the Piriform website - not from one of the file distribution sites

I used to use SuperAntiS a lot as part of cleaning up machines, but gave up over a year ago partly due to it missing a lot - but also due to false positives. I got the impression that they were struggling to keep up with changing patterns of infection

However......if your "registry booster" is the UniBlue product then that could well be infected. It tends to carry a number of hidden browser redirects, and initiates scamware adverts which may not be obvious as malware. Remove it. Anyway, if you have CCleaner installed - and used - then there is no reason to have any "registry booster" software: CCleaner is enough

green granite
27th Aug 2012, 17:29
It allowed me to run ccleaner no problems, it was only when it tried to down load the update from piriform that the problem occurred.

Anyway, if you have CCleaner installed - and used - then there is no reason to have any "registry booster" software: CCleaner is enough

Actually no, if I run ccleaner and then registry booster the registry booster invariably finds some more.

What's bugging me is the difficulty of telling it it's a false positive.

I really only posted this for info not help.

jcbmack
27th Aug 2012, 19:45
Yes interesting stuff. I use CCleaner with some antivirus software. I used to use CCleaner with AVG paid subscription but the paid for AVG with the surveillance was far too sensitive and after awhile it seemed like it showed false positives for Trojan horses that just could not be. I went to the forums and found AVG techs answering questions as if the infections were real but after following all of their advice, the Trojan horses did not go away.

Trend Micro missed many real infections that were slowing down my computer and Norton, although better at detection required too many updates and at times would just stop working without a manual update and then would allow malware in.

I now use CCleaner with Malwarebytes and IObit anti malware. I periodically use the IObit optimization software too to clean registries, defragment, run additional anti virus scans, etc... I am not advising you, just sharing my experience that works.

Of course I also periodically uninstall programs (since I use several java IDE's, visual studio, and statistical software) I do not need for long periods of time since even with plenty of hard drive space, my slower running laptop-- the processor slows down and my broadband bandwidth gets used up and I cannot watch Netflix or browse very fast.

For my high powered desktop there is no slowdown.

I agree it is difficult to tell false positives from real ones sometimes. I wll say that my IObit and Malwarebytes catch real infections that others have missed, even each other. Skype which I use frequently is a back door for malware and my Malwarebytes in particular blocks them. My IObit (both programs) help keep my computer running faster and smoother so I can watch my movies and apply my statistical software even on a low end processor based comp.