PDA

View Full Version : Long-Term Effects of Short Haul, Low Cost Operations

FlyingOfficerKite
27th Aug 2012, 14:06
It has been argued for many years now that CAP 371 does not provide an effective means of preventing fatigue in aircrew when applied to modern, multi-sector operations such as those carried out by low-cost carriers.

I was always told, particularly by older pilots who had witnessed the change within the industry, that the use of CAP 371 was intended for infrequent multi-sector days (4-6 sectors). It was not designed for the operations witnessed today where the only flying is multi-sectors, with minimum rest and frequent changes between early and late starts - particularly before and after days off.

Although I have flown low-cost operations - and become fatigued as a consequence - those days are gone now (change of career). I flew when I was relatively young and healthly and not in late middle age (55-65 yrs).

I wonder what the long-term effects will be on pilots just starting out who have potentially 40 years of this disruptive lifestyle?

A good number of pilots have the energy and enthusiasm to continue flying to age 60-65.

However, they did not spend the greater part of their career flying low-cost and many opt for the simulator training role later in their working lives.

Will the next generation of pilots see a greater instance of 'burn out'; will computerised flight decks provide a solution or will the fact that BA retire their pilots at 55 yrs prove in the long-run to be the least risk option?

Although pilots, by definition, are healthy it makes you wonder just what the future holds and whether instances of pilot incapacitation will increase over time?

FOK :)

fireflybob
6th Sep 2012, 07:20
Will the next generation of pilots see a greater instance of 'burn out'; will computerised flight decks provide a solution or will the fact that BA retire their pilots at 55 yrs prove in the long-run to be the least risk option?

Although pilots, by definition, are healthy it makes you wonder just what the future holds and whether instances of pilot incapacitation will increase over time?

I think the short answer is yes to both questions.

I think there are a whole raft of issues which will cause the loco (in particular) pilots to "burn out" early, viz disruptive work patterns (5 earlies waking up at 0400 to work a 11/12 hour day, followed by days off then switching to 5 lates), repeatedly long working multi sector days with 25 minute turnrounds, insufficient nutrition, additional stress due draconian attitudes of employers.

Am out of it now but I look at the bright eyed young FOs and think a lot will be burn out by their mid 30s.

dogtired2
23rd Sep 2012, 21:43
You are correct - unless managed very carefully the low cost short haul roster will progressively burn you out. A lot of our guys are using increasing amounts of caffine / Red Bull etc to keep alert... but this only goes so far.

There are many aspects to the but the single biggest factor is quality sleep hygine. I don't know of any LCC that allows sleeping on the flight deck (the cabin crew are far too busy selling to keep the waking crew member aroused).

Quality rest at home is the solution... we are all different but here are some of my trail and error findings :-
-Don't use melatonin- addictive and lots of anecdotal evidence of adverse side effects.
-Find a way of avoiding sleep interruptions... I'm a very light sleeper and struggled with this until I found a sleep mask / ear defender combination that puts everything else in the shade. The one for sale on ebay.co.uk (item no 221058385799) has ear plugs that on their own reduce noise by 39dB (significantly better than the US version). The ear pads probably double that and light is eliminated completely. Reusable I'm on my third is two years!
- As you get older getting up to go to the loo can really screw up your quality deep sleep. Prostabeta max makes a massive difference to this.
-Get into early mode at least two days before... staying on your late pattern until the night before earlies can't work (which means I should be in bed now)...so
- Last one don't do anything mentally demanding / stressfull on your last day off. Your partner needs to understand that our single most important responsibility is to report for work well rested.

gorter
23rd Sep 2012, 22:22
And cap 371 is almost past history. We're fast going to eu ftl's and despite continued scientific arguments or lovely regulators are bending to commercial pressure.

After colgan, the FAA have gone completely the opposite direction!