PDA

View Full Version : which way for theory?

DK08
27th Aug 2012, 10:53
hi guys! :)

After recently passing my GFPT, i am very eager to start the next part of my training to eventually receive a CPL. A question that has popped up is how to tackle the theory. Should i complete the PPL theory first, or go straight to the CPL theory?
I have spoken to a couple of instructors and my CFI, and have received mixed opinions. I would love to hear what you would recommend.

Thanks, Daniel

Widewoodenwingswork
27th Aug 2012, 13:40
At 16, most of us were focussed on finding girls to make out with and getting good enough grades to pass high school.

Unless you're some kind of genius (if you are, do Medicine instead), sit your PPL(A) exam, get your licence, fly for fun and focus on enjoying and doing well in high school and pashing girls. Work on developing your social skills, work ethic and getting good grades to give you something to fall back on if you can't get a medical someday. Once you've finished school, forget about the girls for 6 months and knock the CPL over.

There's no prizes for the youngest CPL in Australia, except maybe "Most spoilt kid". Besides, you don't have to have a CPL to enjoy flying and to sleep with lots of girls.

system.of.a.down
27th Aug 2012, 22:23
My advice would be to do the CPL theory. Much of the easier CPL subjects are thoroughly covered in the PPL syllabus anyway. You have 3 years do get CPL theory finished from the 1st exam sitting date. By the time it would take you to study the PPL book, you could have most likely in that time already passed CPL Meteorology, General Knowledge, Human Factors and Navigation.

It is also easier to focus on one subject at a time rather than a bit of every subject in the one exam. Why put yourself through another exam if you don't need to. Also saves you the exam fee!!

Rogan82
28th Aug 2012, 00:33
I was in your boat at 16. Did my PPL theory exam from my CPL notes so I could sit the PPL flight test at 17. By 19 I had my CPL (back in the day when the CPL theory test was a one day exam). With plenty of girls and surfing in between;)

NotProvided
28th Aug 2012, 02:45
After each exam you will receive a report detailing all of the syllabus items you need to work on. Before attempting the practical test you will sit with an instructor/testing officer and prove you have covered all of the bits you got wrong before. This will be a less stressful experience if you only have the one PPL exam's worth of questions to go through rather than the seven.
We recently had someone complete the CPL exams prior to a PPL at our school - the amount of study needed prior to undertaking the flight test has seen that student take a long time off. Not what I'd recommend, However by all means do it if you are going to ace the CPL exams.

orangeboy
29th Aug 2012, 00:26
If you've got plenty of time before you sit the PPL flight test, then do the CPL exams first and save yourself some money. If you see yourself flying through the navs and sitting the PPL flight test soon and don't have time to go through all the CPL subjects then just do the PPL theory first.

xxRED BARONxx
30th Aug 2012, 06:42
Im assuming your really young based on the assumptions above so Id advise that you take your training step by step, do your PPL exam first and once you've done that start knocking off the CPL exams while you are training to PPL. I had all my CPLs done before I had my PPL and it allowed me to really focus on my PPL-CPL training (flying wise).