PDA

View Full Version : Sinus op

Bearcat
26th Aug 2012, 21:02
Need sinoplasty, deviated septum due broken nose years ago, maxi sinuses cleared out...And more stuff...surgeon said I'll have splints out both nostrils and will require a few days in hospital. Sounds like something I'd dearly like to put off but there's only so much nasal sprays one can take.

How long can I expect to be off for? I know one month min post a g/a ......any takers?

homonculus
26th Aug 2012, 21:08
Don't wory it isn't a big procedure. Normally done as a daycase and you can work in an office the next day. We normally advise you avoid exercise for 5 days. There are really no restrictions after that although your nose may remain blocked but the CAA may be more cautious

Good luck

Bearcat
27th Aug 2012, 11:35
Ehhh day case? My guy tells me expect a few days in hosp. Spetoplasty/Fess/Smd is on my form plus a new broken straight nose......maybe a week off if you work in a ground office......me thinks I'll be off over a month plus before I go back flying esp long haul.

Anyone else get this job done.....I'm actually looking forward to being able to breathe through both nostrils for a change!

The Right Stuff
10th Sep 2012, 11:22
I'd recommend a balloon sinuplasty - pm me if you want details but you'll find it on the internet.

Everyone reacts and recovers differently from an operation, esp. one under general anaesthetic. I needed two weeks off my (office) work but I seemed to come down with flu after the op.

homonculus
10th Sep 2012, 16:33
Hi Bearcat

You are having more than a septoplasty. Much more

A FESS is functional endoscopic sinus surgery - the sinuses are nothing to do with e septum. Slightly bigger involving deliberate hypotension anaesthesia but most of my patients go home the same day

SMD is burning the septum - no big deal

The new broken nose sounds like a rhinoplasty which is to change e shape of the nose. This is indeed a bigger operation but reasonably rare for functional as opposed to cosmetic issues. It will need two weeks off most work and I suspect more from flying

I would suggest you ask your surgeon to explain what is recommended and why

Finally balloon sinuplasty will not replace this operation. It is a new procedure which has been heavily promoted but the initial results are not that good. We are using it in some patients but like all new operations it starts out as the wonder operation, then is rubbished, and finally finds its place

Good luck

Bearcat
22nd Oct 2012, 18:31
thanks for replies....on the count down in 2 weeks....no breaking of nose re rhinoplasty just septoplasty/fess/smd. From all reports I'll feel sh!t after but if it can sort 25years of sinus issues especially in the flying game so be it. The house is littered with nasal sprays which I dearly want to dump. Surgeon says Im off 2 months before high alt flying duties......at least I'll be around for xmas which is a first.

I'm planking it but I just have to man up and get on with it........

:uhoh:

Bearcat
7th Nov 2012, 16:58
Had surgery today.........feel like Marvin haggler has given me a good going over.

Here goes to the constant end of snot (post nasal drip) going down my throat which I reckon gave me numerous bouts of h pylori. Here goes to end of blocked noses and sprays everywhere from my case to my car.

If your in this category, don't put it on the long finger.....yeah I'm in a world of discomfort and pain.....you'll be in hospital a day or two....for me they were watching for bleeding. Nose hurts like fugh as they had chip away a load of bone.

Looking forward to heading up the alps next year and breathing in that clear air I haven't smelt in years.

I'm aware I'm out for 2months....I don't want to go near a plane esp long haul until I'm totally fixed.....the whole insides of my nose have been wrenched out.

Any one with questions re if your in the same boat and contimplating this route PM me......this all emanated from a broken nose going back 25 yrs ago at my local rugby club.

Ps

Day 2= sh1te. They pull the pack out and it's horrific the pain...lasts only a couple of secs.
Day 7 they pull out the stents/stitches and its like sitting on top of the alps....I can breathe again.
1st week is deffo not pleasant...your all bunged up.
The op definitely whacks you...today is day10 and I feel a hell of a lot better.
Do I regret going through this hassle.....nope. I don't have blocked up sinus's, I can breathe through both barrels , don't have post nasal drip and I sleep properly now.
If your in this boat and wavering between will I or won't I....I say do it....you won't know yourself:ok: