PDA

View Full Version : Straight Questions on the Belvedere & Whirlwind - as requested by you the users

stephen.mullins
6th Apr 2002, 07:58
Ok to give a quick brief, what I need is to give a small ditty on each of the aircraft that were replaced by the Puma.

Q's: Things like when they came into service, who used them and in what roles, what and how much it could carry. what ops/theatres it participated in, what weapons they carried and any general info you may be able to think of.

Another Q: Did the Belvedere become a forerunner for the Chinook and as they are both twin rotors, then later get replaced by the puma after it was moved to a new role after the introduction of the Chinook or am I going down the wrong path.

I need to be able to construct a sentence or two on the belvedere and Whirlwind as part of a history intro to the puma in the early stages of my lecture.

So for those of you asking for direct questions here they are for these two aircraft.

You can email me direct at [email protected] if you would prefer, instead of replying to this post. that way you can stay anonymous too.

Thanks to everybody helping us out on this and my other posts. your help is greatly appreciated :D :D :D :D

Steve M

mutleyfour
6th Apr 2002, 08:04
This forum is rapidly becoming the stephen mullins forum....

Will we get a mention in dispatches in your presentation?

;) ;) ;)

BEagle
6th Apr 2002, 08:27
Mate - go to http://www.google.co.uk and enter 'Bristol Belvedere', click on 'pages from the UK'. Within a few nanoseconds you'll get stacks of information on the 'Mixmaster bilong suicide' as my ex-Belvedere ULAS QFI used to call it!

Then do the same for 'Westland Whirlwind helicopter'.

You'll probably be more successful in getting information that way rather than through PPRuNe-ing!!

stephen.mullins
6th Apr 2002, 15:02
Didn't realise there were people counting the number of post's you made or that they were rationed out.

I have looked on the web at Lycos and find nothing for the belvedere or Whirlwind, and even less at the local library.

So after some though decide to go to a place that has seen me alright so far and produced more links and avenues than any search engine has done for us.

What can I say I'm guilty of asking the people who do the job day in day out. I would repay the favour but very little people want to know about boot neck antics. Fear not as the lecture has to be completed by 15th April you can then go back to a lower state of readiness on the post counting front.

As for the mention, the people that have aided and assisted will certainly get a mention as well as the site, however I wont post the address as you could be taken over by future courses looking for info on other beast's that occupy the skies. But rest assured the next bloke who gets the PUMA Lecture will have one hell of a pack to run from.

Wunper
6th Apr 2002, 17:07
Stephen

Go out and purchase

"RAF Helicopters the first twenty years"

By Wing Cdr John Dowling published by HMSO £30

ISBN 0 11 772725 3

It will answer all your questions and give you a good read at the same time.

Wunper:cool:

Pub User
7th Apr 2002, 19:46
Stephen

do as Beagle says, go to Google, not Lycos.