PDA

View Full Version : Direct Entry BA Proceedure?

Noisy Hooligan
13th Jul 2001, 23:34
Hi, can anyone give me an idea of BA's latest DEP recruitment process and the best way to prepare for it?
I am currently Boeing aircrew and so Wannabees didn't seem quite the right forum.
Thanks...

Sick Squid
13th Jul 2001, 23:46
With respect, it may not seem the right forum NH, but it actually is. This question crops up often on there.. try search (assuming it's working, which it probably isn't right now!)
As this isn't a "Rumour or News" item I'll transfer it down to Wannabes. You'll be pleasantly surprised, there's a lot of talent lurks in there..

80 to a 100 required this year, by the way.

scroggs
13th Jul 2001, 23:50
Welcome, NH, yes - you're in the right place. Hopefully, our hoardes of BA DEP wannabes will fill you in with the details....

Noisy Hooligan
13th Jul 2001, 23:50
Many thanx SS

Gentleman Aviator
14th Jul 2001, 19:56
Greetings!

a) Call BA and express an interest in DEP selection. You will be asked if you have

1) JAA ATPL
2) MCC or an exemption
3) Class One medical
4) Current Multi-engine IR
5) In excess of 1500 hours
6) 500+ hours on a 25 tonne aircraft (or multi pilot helicopter or fast jet)

If you do you will be sent an application form.

b) Fill in the form, probably requiring about 40 man hours of BA study. Black ink, own handwriting, any empty spaces with n/a rather than a blank. Top tip : RTFQ!

c) Invitation to Part 1 selection. You and 19 other mates get a 90 min aptitude test, 90 minute psychometric test, 8 minute quick-fire mental arithmetic test and a 24 minute verbal reasoning.

The maths and verbal reasoning tests are a nightmare! Lots of prep required to get up to speed.

d) If you pass you will be invited to Stage 2 : 45 minute interview, 30 minute team exercise, 45 minute memo-writing. Whittled down to 6 by now.

e) Flight sim next! BAC 1-11 - raw flying, lots of CRM.

f) Medical! Class One and a little bit more.

g) Congratulations and welcome to the hold pool : should be out fairly quickly with a 4 month wait to start on A320, B777 or B747.

Best of luck

GA

[ 14 July 2001: Message edited by: Gentleman Aviator ]

Noisy Hooligan
14th Jul 2001, 23:55
GA - many thanks, good to know that there are indeed some Gentleman Aviators still around, I would wager a few beer tokens that you fly a small 'one humped camel' on your days off to boot!?!
Any ideas on which verbal reasoning books to use during the prep, and is therre any calculus in the maths tests?

NH

yeoman
15th Jul 2001, 14:25
They use SHL tests, try www.shlgroup.com. (http://www.shlgroup.com.) BA send you a couple of practice papers.

Also try www.jon-english.co.uk/ba. (http://www.jon-english.co.uk/ba.) Excellent run down on the tests.

Did them Thursday, phone call Monday, invitation for next phase.

Any info on Part 2 most welcome anyone.

PS, it helps to like films about otters. You'll see!!

Winston
20th Jul 2001, 11:53
Thought I'd try and keep up with the times so I applied on-line last Friday. Any idea how long it takes from putting the form in to hearing back about the first stage? Also does anyone know if there is any chance of vacancies arising on the 75/76 in the future?