PDA

View Full Version : Which Airport would you recommend

Johnrob8
23rd Aug 2012, 19:46
Hello all,

I was given a 1 hour flying voucher for Christmas. I know, I know its end of August, why havent I used it.. I used to live in Scotland until July this year, knowingly we were moving back to the midlands.

Now we have I want to use my voucher. I live near Solihull, so my two options are Wolverhampton Business Airport or Coventry Airport. Which specific clubs I dont know yet..

Which Airport would you guys recommend, as I dont want to 'waste' my voucher. I used to be in the ATC so have already done a fair bit of flying.

I look forward to your responses, and hopefully will have a successful enjoyable lesson.

A and C
23rd Aug 2012, 20:00
The first thing I would do is check that the voucher is worth more than the paper it is printed on, there have been a few scams in the voucher business and best if you check this voucher is not one of the scams.

I have no strong opinion as to the airfield that is best but I have always found Wolverhampton very welcoming when I have visited.

stevelup
23rd Aug 2012, 20:12
Wellesbourne is worth considering as well.

Johnrob8
23rd Aug 2012, 20:32
@ a & c . The voucher is from adventure 001 experiences.
@steve I didn't see Wellesborne on the list.

Thanks for the responses.

Genghis the Engineer
23rd Aug 2012, 21:16
"Wolverhampton Business Airport" has thankfully returned to its earlier and friendlier name of "Halfpenny Green". I've been through there a few times lately and found it quiet, friendly, and entirely to be recommended.

I've flown out of Coventry a few times as well over the last few years - it's a bit busier, a bit more formal, and I'm not sure that the extra infrastructure really gives the light aviator much they really need.

So I'd go for Wolverhampton.

G

Artistic Intention
24th Aug 2012, 09:18
Driving to the airport Coventry is head and shoulders above Halfpenny Green.

For you near Solihull, Coventry is a breeze, but HG much more of a tricky cross country trip.

But as mentionned above if it's available Wellesbourne is a better option than either of these two.

Pace
24th Aug 2012, 09:34
It' is an experience flight and as such go for Wolverhampton.
The reason I say that is you have stunning scenery with the Wrekin. Shropshire plains, Clee hill, Church Stretton and all the Welsh mountains in view.
For me it would be a no brainer unless you want a view of Birmingham and Coventry cities ?

Pace

Sir George Cayley
24th Aug 2012, 09:42
Agreed but try to pick a good weather day. Difficult I know but talk to the club instructors who should be better informed that the BBC Weather Guessers.

SGC

stevelup
24th Aug 2012, 10:21
@ a & c . The voucher is from adventure 001 experiences.
@steve I didn't see Wellesborne on the list

Double check because it is listed on the website (http://www.adventure001.com/a1_aviation_aeroplanes_pilot.htm).

Johnrob8
24th Aug 2012, 14:09
@ Steve - apologies.