PDA

View Full Version : CX Cadet program question

TimJ68
23rd Aug 2012, 19:40
Hello,

I've been wanting to be a commercial pilot for a long time now, and I've established that cadet programs are a pretty good way of starting off a career as a flight deck crew member. I've always wanted to work in the far east, so Cathay's MPL / CPL programs seem appealing, especially since I'll be applying with a JAA PPL and little to no multi-crew 2000kg+ MTOW experience.

I've got three years of school left, and I have to start choosing subjects for my two final years (International Baccalaureate). I've read in the application requirements that you must have a mark for maths and physics for your high-school diploma, however taking physics in your last two years is more or less impossible without having taken physics in your GSCE years, which I didn't. Are my chances of being accepted into CX reduced / zeroed if I don't have a mark in physics in my diploma, or is it just an extra which will improve your likeliness of acceptance?

Another question (less complicated ;) ): Does being an SO at CX carry any other benefits other than health, tax and cash, such as housing, transport, etc? From what I can understand, a second officer's starting pay is HKD45,000, aka $6000 US. Is this enough to cover a one bedroom appt. / studio in a decent area of Hong Kong, with enough to spare for a comfortable lifestyle? (Comfortable as in having enough for all expenses + leftovers for personal purchases such as clothes, electronics, car financing etc.)

I know I'm a bit young to be asking these questions but I've already started serious career planning and am seriously driven to become a pilot.

Eagerly awaiting your input!

Thanks in advance

-Tim

junior_man
6th Sep 2012, 15:22
you will hourly duty pay in addition to your salary and also get a housing allowance which I think is around $10,000 a month. A two bedroom apartment in a nice place in Tung Chung (near CX) is around $12,000 a month. You will not need a car here and parking is very expensive. You will not need fancy electronics or your neighbors will not like the noise. You will spend all your time chasing girls and drinking with your buddies (or studying).

orangeboy
7th Sep 2012, 01:41
On the CX career section it says you must "Have completed secondary school and have good passes in mathematics and science, or have a degree or diploma, or have passes in all ATPL subjects".

Now, it doesn't specifically state you need physics, but as you can understand, physics is the most relevant science subject to flying. It also says "or a degree or diploma", so if you have a diploma after you finish high school, it would seem you meet one of the education criteria. Now i'm only interpreting what is stated on the website, and it would be best for you to actually discuss this requirement with flight crew recruitment personnel to get a solid answer.

As for a salary and lifestyle on a SO salary, the current package is just under $50,000 HKD per month, this already includes housing allowance in the amount. Now whether you can make a comfortable living off this depends on what your definition of comfortable means. It also depends on where you come from and if you need to support a family or not. HK people will definitely find it easier than someone who comes from the US or Australia for example where they are used to getting more space for similar money. You're still young, so still have plenty of time to do more research and decide if its for you or not.

Goodluck.