PDA

View Full Version : Non reving on Alaska Air between christmas and new years crazy? MSP to PSP

bob jacobson
23rd Aug 2012, 14:37
Hey guys,

I have never non revved before, but recently got some passes on Alaska/Horizon.

I am thinking of trying to use them to get to Palm Springs from MSP on the 26th or 27th of December and back to MSP on the 30th or 31st.

Is this a bad idea?

I am really clueless when it comes to this stuff.

Thanks for any help.

raypuff
9th Sep 2012, 22:55
As a retired US Airways customer service employee (36 years), I have some experience with the holidays. It can be done but I wouldn't recommend it! Loads are always heaviest! Christmas eve and New Years eve typically offer the best chance as everyone gets to their destinations early! Especially New Years eve.

If you go, thoroughly investigate ALL options. I would really recommend considering LAX. Not too fare to drive and many more options than PSP! I remember mostly smaller jets and props flying into PSP! Have back up passes for travel on other airlines avail.

If you can afford it and you need to go; consider buying tickets. I realize that counters using the free passes! Best of luck!

Ray

Flyer1015
11th Sep 2012, 09:13
IMHO, it's a bad idea. It's the Holiday week/season, and even if there is a seat(s) they will go to internal ALaska/Horizon employees/family. You'd be the bottom of the bottom in the nonrev pile.

Not worth it...

CrazyStuntPilot
13th Sep 2012, 16:00
Spare yourself a lot of trouble and don't do it! With buddy passes you will be the lowest priority. You will end up getting stuck at the airport and miss your celebration!

Rotorhead1026
13th Sep 2012, 19:31
You can score some cheap regular tickets if you start bargain-hunting now. Your non-rev chances around the holidays are about equal to the Cardinals overtaking the Reds. Just the reduction in stress will be worth the price.

PCLCREW
6th Oct 2012, 12:03
Most airlines will embargo travel from Dec 23 to Jan 2 for off-line non-revs and buddy pass riders... IMHO buy a ticket if its important... odds are you will not get on a flight.