PDA

View Full Version : I don't want to set the world on fire, but...

ditchy
6th Apr 2002, 06:12
Isn’t it time we did something to change the flight deck occupancy policy of the carriers we’re employed by, to allow us the discretion to carry flight deck crew from other airlines on the jump seat? There have been a number of occasions when I’ve had to say to pilots from other carriers, ‘there’s no chance of a seat on the flight deck, company policy.’ Then as a result they’re left behind, when clearly appropriate identification shows beyond a shadow of a doubt they’re not a threat and given the discretion to do so, I would have let them ride on the flight deck. I’m aware the U.S carriers would be unlikely to change (not that I blame them) but what about the rest of us? I don’t want to set the world on fire by starting a racial debate about who’s a risk and who’s not, I just want to see if there are others out there who agree and want to do something about it.

neil armstrong
6th Apr 2002, 09:43
I’m aware the U.S carriers would be unlikely to change (not that I blame them) but what about the rest of us?
In the US it's still very easy to get a jumpseat.
It's Europe where Airline managment and the tax office doesnt want to allow anybody to ride in the cockpit for free.

Neil

ditchy
6th Apr 2002, 10:15
ASFKAP
no, having a look at their Airline I.D would suffice as far as I'm concerned. After all that's the only thing airport security use to determine our identity isn't it? Anyone can get a uniform and shove four bars on it, so that doesn't count. As far as the profiling issue is concerned, it would be a case of leaving it up to the Captain concerned. If you don’t want a member of another airline on your flight deck for any reason, so be it. That’s not the issue; it’s being able to decide for one’s self.

Gomer
8th Apr 2002, 04:45
Pilots can quickly tell if their prospective jumpseat rider is a real pilot or someone trying to fake it. The language is too strange for most outsiders to pick up quickly. In the USA we have relied on jumpseats to allow us to live where we want and get to our base for work. Maybe thats the big problem in Europe. No carrier wants ALL of their pilots living in Spain and commuting in:):)