PDA

View Full Version : Visa for hour building

JetPac
13th Jul 2001, 23:03
I'm going on holiday to California in August and want to do some hour building while I'm there. What I'm trying to find out is if I need a visa to do this flying. Different websites seem to say different things. I would use the search facility but it's not available at the moment so I apologize as this question is sure to have been answered before.

flyingdog
13th Jul 2001, 23:20
Well don't worry, as long as you spend your money in the US you are WELCOME ! it is different if you want to earn some money :D It depends more of how long you'll stay there, you might be considered as a tourist or if you stay longer than 3 months (can't remember if it is 2 or 3) you'll need a visa but ... spending your money they'll let you in without any problem ... best is to call the embassy. Good luck ! :cool:

HomerSimpson
14th Jul 2001, 03:17
JetPac,

You looking to do single or multi hour building? Im looking for multi hour building in the US, but not sure of where to choose yet.

Trainee pilot
14th Jul 2001, 11:10
If you are just hour building for pleasure then you do not require a VISA. Your maximum stay is 90 days (3 months). You do need a VISA if you are doing a course that will lead to Commercial employment or even hour building towards that. You are fine though. Remember to get flying insurance if you do fly........ :D :D :D

Stratocaster
14th Jul 2001, 12:01
Easy !

There are two student visas:
F-1: for academic studies
M-1: for non-academic or vocational studies (like CFR.61/141 training)

An F-1 student may not accept off-campus employment at any time during the first year of study; however, the INS may grant permission to accept off-campus employment after one year. F-1 students may accept on-campus employment from the school without INS permission.
Except for temporary employment for practical training, an M-1 student may not accept employment.

A student visa is required if you spend more than 18 hours/week on your studies/training.

Scratch One Bandit
14th Jul 2001, 12:11
I spent seven weeks in Florida hour building with my school, and we didn't need a visa. We were told to say to the passport people (or whatever they're called), that we were there for pleasure. I was told some years earlier a girl had gone there, and told them she was training to be a commercial pilot, which lead to a long interview! Poor girl.

But if you're going on holiday, just don't mention the fact that your flying, they don't need to know and your not doing anything wrong. Enjoy!

EX FTE
15th Jul 2001, 07:38
Some sage advice and some not so sage advice there!!!

The 90 day limit is the period which a UK passport holder is allowed in the US without a visa. Schools that say you dont need a visa are being economical with the truth!! You dont need one since you will probably be let in along with the thousands of others here to see Mickey and Co.

But the INS (Immigration & Naturalisation Sevice) have every right to demand an explanation of what yoy are doing here, how long for, where you are staying and how you are funding it all. One wrong answer and its back to UK!! An M1 visa is no great shakes - it makes it all legal.

You really should be sure to get insurance that specifically covers PPL flying. Almost all travel policies count piloting a light aircraft as a hazardous sport and exlude it from their cover unless you pay teh extra premium. Touch wood you dont, but if you should need medical assistance arising from an aviation incident, you could be out on a limb!

Dont think that I am trying to be a killjoy! I came over here last year without a visa and did some hours building. I had a few questions at the INS and had to be careful with my form filling etc but it was all OK. My advice is, whatever you do, go in with your eyes wide open!!!

SKYYACHT
17th Jul 2001, 22:06
There is another implication to this. If the US INS detect that you have been less than truthful with them, and they do send you back to dear old blighty, then you can forget getting to see Uncle Sam in the future. Getting a visa will be nigh on impossible for an Immigration Refusal. I would recommend that you err on the side of caution and get in touch with Grosvenor Square and sort it. By the way, I got Travel insurance with cover to act as operating crew of light aircraft for a yearly premium of about 90.00 GBP - try Pentagon Insurance in Jersey.

Tailwinds :)