PDA

View Full Version : Umlauts

moosp
21st Aug 2012, 21:55
Excuse me guys, how do I type an umlaut in an Apple environment? I have gone to the Apple help but they don't do foreign...

French accents I have cracked but the two little dots, zilch.

Pelikal
21st Aug 2012, 22:14
I'm probably wrong but I thought they were dedicated characters in that you need the appropriate language font. But I am getting old.:sad:

Milo Minderbinder
21st Aug 2012, 22:21
try this thread for ideas

character map in mac? - macosx.com (http://macosx.com/forums/mac-os-x-system-mac-software/49639-character-map-mac.html)

Bushfiva
21st Aug 2012, 23:55
option-u then u

moosp
22nd Aug 2012, 09:42
Bush that is correct, thank you, it works for e , i and u but mysteriously not for o. I get a Skandanvian ø if I try option o, o

The plot thickens...

moosp
22nd Aug 2012, 09:46
Ahhhhhhh SWMBO who is of the Tuetonic persuasion has just told me that you hold the o key down for a few seconds and a selection of tréma is offered.

Thanks for the replies.

OFSO
22nd Aug 2012, 09:59
Got umlauts a-plenty on this keyboard but no pound signs (pound as in sterling not weight !). Where it hiding ?

Bushfiva
22nd Aug 2012, 12:10
option-u, o.
option-3 for the pound sterling sign.

ORAC
22nd Aug 2012, 12:10
Adding Accent Marks in OS X Lion (http://macs.about.com/od/usingyourmac/qt/Adding-Accent-Marks-In-Os-X-Lion.htm)

OS X Lion supports the same method of adding diacritical marks to characters that is found in iOS devices......

1.Open your favorite text editor.

2.Start typing a word or sentence. When you get to a letter that needs an accent mark, continue to hold down the key for that character. After a short pause, a popover window will appear just above the character, displaying all the appropriate accent marks for that character.

3.You can select the accent mark you wish to use by either clicking on the glyph, or entering the number that displays just below each glyph.

Victor Inox
22nd Aug 2012, 12:21
Excuse me guys, how do I type an umlaut in an Apple environment? I have gone to the Apple help but they don't do foreign.

It's the proverbial pain in the backside if you don't have the right keyboard to go along with the characters you want to type.

What I do is I always have a memory stick with me that contains a Word document with all the "special" characters I need. This enables me to do a "cut and paste" whenever necessary.

mixture
22nd Aug 2012, 12:46
It's the proverbial pain in the backside if you don't have the right keyboard to go along with the characters you want to type.

:ugh:

A poor workman always blames his tools.

I've got a UK keyboard on my computers, and yet have no problems whatsoever compiling lengthly missives in French should I feel the urge to do so and can type in French at the same rapid pace that I can English, and certainly a lot quicker than if you put me infront of an AZERTY keyboard.

Practice makes perfect, its simply a case of knowing the shortcuts. Its a lot easier on a mac (option + e, option + c etc. etc.) than on a PC where you have to do stupid tricks with alt and numbers.

Sure Chinese might be a different matter.... but here we're just talking about languages that use just a few extra diacritics on top of the standard alphabet.

Victor Inox
22nd Aug 2012, 12:58
A poor workman always blames his tools.

So, how do you produce a capital Ä, Ö, or Ü on a UK keyboard?

mixture
22nd Aug 2012, 13:06
So, how do you produce a capital Ä, Ö, or Ü on a UK keyboard?

The French tend not to put diacritics on capitals unless the orthographic value of doing so is particularly valuable (i.e its rare in common usage, except in a formal typographic environment where they may choose to be stricter about it). :cool:

Obviously I don't know about other languages, so I'll have a little dig around for you. Hopefully there's bound to be a way.

EDIT: Actually, its very easy.... its all about order.

You start with the normal technique.... so option+u.... then you release those keys.... then its simply shift+u .... Ü :cool:

Victor Inox
22nd Aug 2012, 13:45
Thanks, mixture. Shall try a.s.a.p.