PDA

View Full Version : Camera video out to laptop.

Pelikal
21st Aug 2012, 19:22
Hello all, I'm sure this is an easy one for some of you.

My Nikon Coolpix4300 digital compact has a very small built-in monitor (= virtually unusable in many conditions). The camera has a video-out socket which I can plug into a TV and it mirrors the monitor, ie menus, settings etc and of course the subject.

I have a project coming up and I would like to connect the video-out to my Toshiba 2100 but it has no video-in. I understand it is possible to connect to a USB port via some kind of 'gizmo', probably with a driver.

Maplin has been mentioned on another video thread as a supplier but I don't know what to call the thing that I'm looking for. Please note this has nothing to do with downloading images or recording to the laptop. I merely wish to be able to see what I'm doing via my laptop and download images at a later date.

I'm running XP Pro. Many thanks.

Milo Minderbinder
21st Aug 2012, 19:43
looking at the specs for that, there appears to be two modes of connection: one with a USB lead, one with an analog video out connection for output to a TV
I think you'll find the USB connection is only for downloading recorded videos and images - not for realtime monitoring. Instead you're going to have to use the video out conenctor.
That means getting a video capture card (or TV card with capture inputs) for that laptop. Your best bet is probably a USB TV card - I'm out of date with these, but in my experience Hauppuage ones have always seemed to be the easiest to use.
You'd have to run a video cable from camera to TV card, with the USB card plugging into the laptop, showing "live" the output from the camera

What I can't see anywhere is the actual spec for the video out cable - based on past experience I'd guess that the socket on the camera is proprietary, while the supplied lead acts as an adaptor with a composite-video plug (usually yellow) at the other end. If so you need to be sure that the TV card you buy has a matching socket (or if the output is S-video, then the card mush have S-video inputs

Looking at one of my usual suppliers, they don't have much of a choice
Compro VideoMate Live USB2 Tv Tuner Hi-End - Scan.co.uk (http://www.scan.co.uk/products/compro-videomate-live-usb2-tv-tuner-hi-end)
and
VS-TVUSB2800RF - Kworld V-stream Xpert TV-PVR USB2 TV Tuner Box with Remote Recording Editing Burning - Scan.co.uk (http://www.scan.co.uk/products/kworld-v-stream-xpert-tv-pvr-usb2-tv-tuner-box-with-remote-recording-editing-burning)
The Compro one says it has S-video inputs, the KWorld one doesn't specifiy whether its S-video or Composite. You can buy adaptors though
Other companies will have other models
One of those cases where rather than buy online its worth going to the shop along with the camera and making sure all the parts fit. Or else calling the online advice line before buying

green granite
21st Aug 2012, 20:18
Or something like this?

EasyCap Audio Video AV RCA and S-Video to USB 2.0 Video Capture Device | Spy Camera CCTV (http://www.spycameracctv.com/spycamera/easycap-video-capture-usb-audio-cctv)

Milo Minderbinder
21st Aug 2012, 20:25
that could well be a better idea
looks like it has both S- and composite- inputs

Pelikal
21st Aug 2012, 20:39
Milo, you have it exactly. The USB on the camera is for download only. For real-time monitoring I need the video-out socket and I'm sure it is composite video, ie the non-camera plug is yellow. I have a composite-to-scart adaptor which I've used ok with my TV.

Thankyou, I know what I should be looking for now. And thanks for the links, interesting items with many possibilities and reasonably priced.:ok:

Pelikal
21st Aug 2012, 20:47
GG, that looks like a real possibilty. I need something portable rather than sitting on the desk and that looks like it is not much larger than a stick. Brilliant, thanks!

Milo Minderbinder
21st Aug 2012, 20:52
composite video uses a coxaxial arrangement - basically it looks like a standard audio jack plug
s-video uses a multi-pin connector, more like a keyboardplug in looks

Pelikal
21st Aug 2012, 22:26
Milo, definately composite. I've looked at the EasyCap that GG suggested which sounds great and software full of features but I guess all I need is a basic PC TV tuner connected to the USB port that will display my cameras live output. My humble Tosh isn't really upto much more to be honest and I don't need image capture for my immediate purpose. GG, really appreciate your input.

Thanks.