PDA

View Full Version : How long to complete ATPL theory?

JT8
13th Jul 2001, 21:24
Hi there people,

I just wanted to know how long people have taken to complete the ATPL theory course. Having looked at a few schools websites, 6 months seems to be the norm. Is this correct?

If sponsorship fails, I will be taking the modular route, and doing so 'full time', so am interested to know how long to plan for.

Has anyone completed the exams in significantly less than 6 months?

any help appreciated,

JT8 :)

RAFAT
13th Jul 2001, 21:49
JT8 - I did my ATPL Nav theory course in 1997. It was a 4 week full-time residential course at PPSC with the exams following immediately after. Although JAR integration has taken place since then, I'm sure it can't have extended the course by any significant amount, I'm therefore puzzled where your figure of six months comes from.

Scratch One Bandit
13th Jul 2001, 21:56
I'm doing ATPL at the moment (almost finished!). At my school we do six months of ground school, split into two parts. Three months, then the techs exams, another three and the navs. I think JAR say they have to be this long, or just the facts that there is so much to get through.

So, as far as I know, the shortest time you can do it in is six months. As far as I'm aware, the other schools take about the same for ATPL. Please post a reply if I'm wrong.

[ 13 July 2001: Message edited by: Scratch One Bandit ]

clear prop!!!
13th Jul 2001, 23:12
6 months is the absolute minimum allowed, and that’s on a full time course.
Most distance learning folk seem to be allowing a year. In fact there are some full time students who have taken a year, what with re-sits and all that!

Remember that every time you have to re-sit a subject, it’s at least another month onto the timescale.

RAFAT is talking about the good old days of CAA UK ATPL’s

EX FTE
15th Jul 2001, 07:28
Miminum times. The JAA stipulate that (depending on what license you hold) you have to undergo a minimum of 650hrs study(PPL) or 350hrs(CPL/IR) to be eligible to sit the 14 ATPL writtens.

Having gone through the Modular route, let me give you my timeline.

Received books & started study in July 2000. Sat Phase 1 exams in October 2000. (Passed 7 of 7) Started Phase 2 study in November. Sat Phase 2 exams in early March 2001. (Passed 7 of 7)

All told just under 9 months. I reckon I could have pushed myself a bit harder and done it in 7 or 8 months. That was all based on self disciplines study at home and the odd residential. I think that if I had gone on full time residential, it would have been fair game for a 6 moth block.

Having gone through it with a bunch of other guys, we all had different levels of experience and background. It really comes down to you and how much you know about the subjects! One guy had been with aircarft all his life. I had worked in the industry for 10 years. One guy was a 19yr old who was stil wet behind the ears. We all had different levels of success.

Good luck and get on with it!!

PFO
15th Jul 2001, 13:17
EX FTE,

I am in the same boat as you.

What I would be interested to know is how many hours a day you studied?

As I am still working I am looking to do 2 hours per day/7 days per week.

Is this realistic, bearing in mind I have A Level Maths and Physics?????

PFO :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

JT8
15th Jul 2001, 16:25
Thanks for the replies people, much appreciated.

JT8 :)

Delta Wun-Wun
15th Jul 2001, 16:57
I am also working full time whilst studying through Distance Learning.How much you study a week is a personal thing.There is a large amount of material to go through.As you get farther into the course you need to go through the earlier work to revise.I am at present studying 3 to 4 hours on work days and my days off are full time study days.I have allowed 12 months to get through the lot.

EX FTE
16th Jul 2001, 06:05
PFO - working and doing 2 hrs a day is certainly feasible but it will take a wee bit longer than 6 mths. I gave up working and studied at home, averaging 3 to 4 hrs a day. I think that I could have and should have worked harder. As it was, I found the home study self discipline the toughest. The subject matter is not impossible but there is a lot of it!!

Your Math & Physics will help (fair bit of calculation in performance; flight planning; operational procedures). Subjects like instruments, systems, law, human performance - well you "get" those, they are straightforward. If you dont they can be a struggle!!

My background is 10yrs of Military and Civil Flight Test Engineering. I do not claim to be a serious engineer but I did have the benefit of working with lots of people who were and who were able to explain things to me. Plus, having had the time to "play" with various simulators and particpate in on aircraft tests I had a head start over most.

Something you should really think about; the PC sims are pretty useful trainers. Get yourself one with add-ons to let you play with an FMS; even GPWS and TCAS in some of them. It will make some of the subject matter so much clearer!!

Given the way that JAA allow you to split the course up, you might want to think about doing as mush at home as you can; taking a one month leave of absence from work; go on a cram course and then sit the exams. I found it was very helpful to concentrate 24/7 in the weeks running up to exam time.

Good luck with your plans. Any questions - feel free to ask. I am in the hours building stage but should be in CPL/IR training in a few months. Look out for me in a cockpit near you by years end!!